US Customs Preclearance

TenneSea

I believe the Dublin airport has a US Customs Preclearance area and I know there had been talk, several years ago, of opening a Preclearance office/area in London Heathrow.  Does anyone know if there are currently plans to do that in LHR anytime soon?

49 minutes ago, TenneSea said:

I believe the Dublin airport has a US Customs Preclearance area and I know there had been talk, several years ago, of opening a Preclearance office/area in London Heathrow.  Does anyone know if there are currently plans to do that in LHR anytime soon?

Still no progress.
https://simpleflying.com/london-heathrow-us-preclearance/

This is why I will generally connect via Dublin for US flights,  much less stressful to pre clear before the flight than have the huge lines in U.S. airports which can add hours.

We flew to Newark last year and were in our Manhattan hotel within an hour of leaving the aircraft.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2023 at 3:54 PM, Thejuggler said:

This is why I will generally connect via Dublin for US flights,  much less stressful to pre clear before the flight than have the huge lines in U.S. airports which can add hours.

We flew to Newark last year and were in our Manhattan hotel within an hour of leaving the aircraft.

I am doing this soon  and I am losing sleep over it.I have been reading the dublin airport depature board online.

How did you find the experience? How long after clearing the irish passport control did you go the preclearance? How many security checkpoints did you go through to get to the immigration desk. I have wheelchair assistance booked I am just worried about the timing of all this 9am landing preclearance seems to open at 11am for the 1.15pm EWR flights.

Sorry for all the questions thanks in advance.

Edited by ace2542

On 4/2/2023 at 3:54 PM, Thejuggler said:

huge lines in U.S. airports which can add hours.

Long and very slow loving queue at Miami three weeks back. And I reckon only  two flights. It would hit the national press if such delays had been at a UK airport

Seriously I would rather not go than fly via Miami again.  Awful experience whenever I have been. Rude and unhelpful staff who seemed not to be able to cope with the number of passengers.

I fancy the Dublin option but flying from NCL means an overnight there, unless schedules change.

Yup. Another vote for Dublin. We landed in Dublin at 11.20am and took off for Newark at 1.00pm ! You've got to book it as a 'through ticket' via Aer Lingus for it all to work though.

I was panicking with the short connection time but as the initial flight was on time it was no drama. If the first flight had been late I imagine they'd have put us on the JFK flight.