Chair Hogs

Seafan22

The best solution for me was what I did on Oasis of the Seas (RCL) 2 weeks ago-

They have "Casitas", which are daybeds with roofs that have to be reserved before hand (and cost $$), but with the ship at capacity, well worth it not to have to worry about it

I'd would not even mind having to pay a bit to reserve a chair by the pool-

another idea is if they could set up "cubbys" by the pool-just to have a place to put a towel or two while in the pool

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, ngrund said:

set up "cubbys" by the pool-just to have a place to put a towel or two while in the pool

THIS 👆 is a great idea! Some of us just want a place to keep our towel dry while we hit the pool or hot tub. My guess is other cruise lines will start doing what RCI is doing with the casita/lounger rental at some point. - a lot of resorts do that now. I almost booked a casita on our last NOS cruise but wound up not needing to. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ngrund said:

I'd would not even mind having to pay a bit to reserve a chair by the pool-

It surprises me that this isn't already a thing. Yes, it will incense the "nickle" and diming crowd, but it's something that a lot of people value, evidently.

But this is the opposite of a solution to chair hogging. It's letting people pay for the right to hog. People will reserve the chairs for themselves all day long and only come use them when they feel like it. I.e. exactly what they're doing already, only now you can't even say they're doing anything wrong, since they've paid for it.

15 minutes ago, hawkeyetlse said:

It surprises me that this isn't already a thing. Yes, it will incense the "nickle" and diming crowd, but it's something that a lot of people value, evidently.

But this is the opposite of a solution to chair hogging. It's letting people pay for the right to hog. People will reserve the chairs for themselves all day long and only come use them when they feel like it. I.e. exactly what they're doing already, only now you can't even say they're doing anything wrong, since they've paid for it.

Yes, I agree-but at least those of us willing to pay would have the option. And if done correctly, the non-paid for chairs would be cleared if not occupied

Looks hideous!  What happens if I have stepped away for a potty break or a french fry run?  I shouldn't have to fear for my belongings if a step away for a bit.  Why can't they just tag a chair that looks to be "hogged" and after a period of time, remove the things.  I'm not sure how this is going to work but those chair flags are just hideous...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Why can't they just tag a chair that looks to be "hogged" and after a period of time, remove the things.  I'm not sure how this is going to work but those chair flags are just hideous...

Isn't that exactly what they're doing?  Tag or flag, it goes on the unoccupied chair and comes off, along with whatever crap is on the chair, 30 minutes later.  If the person comes back, they remove the "flag" and sit in the chair.  I like it!  Cmon' NCL, time to play copycat (often a best practice in business).😎

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Looks hideous!  What happens if I have stepped away for a potty break or a french fry run?  I shouldn't have to fear for my belongings if a step away for a bit.  Why can't they just tag a chair that looks to be "hogged" and after a period of time, remove the things.  I'm not sure how this is going to work but those chair flags are just hideous...

You can mention to any one around you that you'll be back in a bit

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Isn't that exactly what they're doing?  Tag or flag, it goes on the unoccupied chair and comes off, along with whatever crap is on the chair, 30 minutes later.  If the person comes back, they remove the "flag" and sit in the chair.  I like it!  Cmon' NCL, time to play copycat (often a best practice in business).😎

Perhaps...IDK  The sign isn't clear as it relates to how long you can leave your things unattended before they are removed.  Still think the chair flags are hideous and I love the color pink!

27 minutes ago, ngrund said:

You can mention to any one around you that you'll be back in a bit

Absolutely true.  However, I do not expect people around me to ward off the chair police in my absence.  What if they need to go somewhere?  anyway, I'm not arguing why they are doing it...I think they can do so in a more subtle, less obnoxious way.  Those chair flags make the pool deck look trashy...just my unpopular opinion.

• Like 1

I am hearing about staff shortages on NCL. I doubt they will be devoting a lot of personnel resources to patrolling the pool deck with a watch to automatically remove towels and belongings from the sun loungers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, hawkeyetlse said:

It's the kind of thing an AI could do pretty easily (once you pay someone to program it). It could also shoot lasers.

To vaporize the chair hogs??
Now that would sure put an end to the practice!! 😉😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

49 minutes ago, Biffire said:

I am hearing about staff shortages on NCL. I doubt they will be devoting a lot of personnel resources to patrolling the pool deck with a watch to automatically remove towels and belongings from the sun loungers.

If I were king (I'm not), I would patrol and place the "flags" once at about 9:00 each morning, then 10:00 to remove the offending hogging items.  That might solve 80% of the problem.

• Like 9

There are also two different type of chair hogs:

1) If you are sitting there and saving a couple of chairs for family who are not there 

2) no one around the chairs and just towels on the chairs.

I think its the 2nd one that gets people ( as well as me) upset. I like the flag idea. Maybe a one hour warning, which is plenty if someone wants to swim, walk or get something to eat.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hawkeyetlse said:

It's the kind of thing an AI could do pretty easily (once you pay someone to program it). It could also shoot lasers.

Maybe dressed as a little kid that sings strange Korean songs? 😅

This idea with the shooting lasers is evoking real Squid Game feelings for me…

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Suntanz said:

15 minutes is quick. I honesty think an hour is good. Maybe someone wants to hit the buffet or take a walk, swim or something. After an hour & no one there, the stuff should be removed. Like someone else said though, I would prefer not to be the one to remove the towel or book.

If someone is going to the buffet to sit down and eat, their butt can’t be in two places at once so therefore at that time they don’t need their lounger. Why should one person be utilizing two chairs at once? 

• Like 11

Get one or two numbered tags from the towel store each with a refundable deposit of $10 which is lost if the tag times out.   The deposit is immediately debited to the folio.

The chairs to have an opening to take the tags with the number not visible when inserted.     The time mechanism in the chair cuts out whenever 50KG+ uses the chair for at least 10 minutes.

If you return the tag when you have finished with the chair (you need to remember the number to remove) the charge is immediately refunded to your folio.

If the timer runs for 30 minutes without being de-activated, the staff are "informed" and then have to remove the tag and the passenger has lost the right to that chair and his/her $10.

Another chair, another $10 deposit.

• Like 2

Maybe they should make "chair meters"...you know like they have "parking meters". You have to pay for a certain amount of time to keep the chair. That said, years ago, we sailed on the "Atlantic" and we had to pay $25 for the week for a lounge chair and they choose where it would be placed. Ours was not by the pool, it was on the back of the ship where they did skeet shooting...we did not have a say in where the chair would be all week.....it stayed on one spot. That was it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mtrancher said:

Not arguing, but what a shame common courtesy to your fellow cruisers has to be likely replaced with either technology or patrols. 

Unfortunately, common courtesy is not as common as it used to be.... We live in the "It's all about ME" decade!

• Like 7

7 hours ago, mtrancher said:

Not arguing, but what a shame common courtesy to your fellow cruisers has to be likely replaced with either technology or patrols. 

Common courtesy to chair hogs??
Common courtesy to people that straddle two parking spaces??
Common courtesy to people that cut in line??
Common courtesy to people that claim entire rows in the theater??

”Thank you sir. May I please have another??”

Strange way to go through life - being nice to the bad guys…

• Like 1

This whole concept is beyond ridiculous, and I refuse to honor a towel sitting abandoned on a chair for hours. I just move the towel and sit down. If someone returns wanting the chair, I will move to another and do the same. Very rarely does someone come looking for their chair, and I typically sit for a couple of hours minimum. Just goes to show how many people reserve a chair "just in case" they might want on later. Ridiculous. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, golden6911 said:

I don't think they have an incentive to really deal with this because people who are really bothered will buy Vibe passes or maybe Spa passes in order to have a stress free experience. 

I’ll be honest, that’s exactly why I buy Vibe passes! 

• Like 1