Should I Change Ships?

bvocruise

We haven't cruised HAL in quite some time but decided to book a cruise to Alaska in 2024. We are currently booked on the Niew Amsterdam. The reviews are the CC website are a bit troubling and I heard it does not have a Grand Dutch Cafe. I've heard several people rave about the GDC and am wondering if we should switch our cruise to a ship with one. The problem is neither of the North/South Alaska cruises from Vancouver have the GDC. We would have to change the itinerary completely and do an inside passage from Vancouver. This would also cause a drastic change to our pre-cruise tour.

I'm open to thoughts on weather it would be worth it to change ships. I have heard amazing things about the GDC and would not want to know what you all think.

No, I would never base a cruise on the Dutch Cafe.  It's a bonus if you have one on the ship, but certainly not enough to switch ships. There are alot of complimentary postings about it, for sure, but not enough to go through all the changes you would encounter.

• Like 6

The Grand Dutch is only on the Pinnacle ships, which are larger and have more passengers. For Alaska a smaller ship and less passengers would be better (IMO). We are doing the smallest class, Volendam, for our Alaska trip in May. We found the Pinnacle class was too big and crowded for us.

• Like 4

The Grand Dutch Cafe is a popular spot.  I have only been in a Pinnacle class ship once back in 2017 and then the Grand Dutch Cafe was so crowded that we simply walked away and never got to experience it.  Other posters on this forum have also commented on long wait times at the Grand Dutch Cafe on very recent cruises.

I wouldn't select a ship just based on this cafe.  The Pinnacle class ships all carry more passengers so there is certainly more likelihood of crowded venues.

What month is your cruise?  Some months the sailings are more crowded than others.

• Like 5

I agree, I personally did not find the Grand Dutch Cafe to be a reason I would cruise a particular ship. As others have said it is extremely crowded and always a long wait time to get a coffee. I much prefer the staterooms on the Vista and Signature Class ships which to me is far more important when choosing a ship. I would definitely stay with the Nieuw Amsterdam. 

• Like 4

I sailed on NA's sister, Eurodam, to the Caribbean this winter, my first time on the Signature class. It's a comfortable ship, and if you're thinking about a spa pass, a much better layout for the spa than on Pinnacle ships. I agree with others who say the NA won't feel as crowded as the larger ship. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

We were on the Noordam, a smaller ship, in September, and loved the whole cruise. Alaska is such a great trip, we felt like we could just focus on the excursions.

I love the Vistas! Just a great size and easy flow around the ship.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, bvocruise said:

We haven't cruised HAL in quite some time but decided to book a cruise to Alaska in 2024. We are currently booked on the Niew Amsterdam. The reviews are the CC website are a bit troubling and I heard it does not have a Grand Dutch Cafe. I've heard several people rave about the GDC and am wondering if we should switch our cruise to a ship with one. The problem is neither of the North/South Alaska cruises from Vancouver have the GDC. We would have to change the itinerary completely and do an inside passage from Vancouver. This would also cause a drastic change to our pre-cruise tour.

I'm open to thoughts on weather it would be worth it to change ships. I have heard amazing things about the GDC and would not want to know what you all think.

We sailed the Nieuw Amsterdam in October of 2021, it was a fine ship.  If you have been on the Eurodam, she is a sister ship.  We are sailing on the Koningsdam in February of 2024, it will be our first GDC ship.  While we are looking forward to trying it out, we would not pick a cruise based on a ship having it, just an extra perk.

• Like 1

We sailed to Alaska on the Nieuw Amsterdam last year.  The crew was wonderful.  The ship is better for the Alaska market.  You’ll have a much nicer walk around promenade than you would have on the Koningsdam.  There will be 500 fewer passengers on the Nieuw Amsterdam.   

People like to talk about the Grand Dutch Cafe because it is a fresh concept for Holland America and it’s only on three of their largest and newest ships.  The older and smaller ships have a lot to offer for Alaska scenic viewing.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would stick with the Nieuw Amsterdam.  We have a lot of time on this ship and have never been disappointed.  In fact one year we were so impressed by the ship and staff that we booked it again within final payment date.  At the restart we had a corner aft cabin on the NA and it was wonderful.

• Like 2

I appreciate all of the comments and we will keep our cruise the middle of July. We have the aft corner suite on the 5th deck port side and are excited. I was just surprised by by watching numerous YouTube videos mentioning the Grand Dutch Cafe was the best part of Holland America. I think we will be okay with out it. It would have been nice to have some of the goodies served there but is not the end of the world.

• Like 1

Second those who agree they would never changes a ship simply to get a Grand Dutch Cafe. It was one and done for us at the GDC on the Konigsdam.

Not sure what the fuss is about.   Some items were good, but most others were meh. There are plenty of other indulgences on the other ships if you want bonus snacks. 

Recent video posted here of dining options on the the Noordam also showed some of the same GDC items at their Explorations Cafe.

• Like 1

We have sailed two ships offering the dutch cafe.  I agree with earlier posts reporting long lines and slow service.  Personally I did not understand all the excitement over the beverages or food.  While virtually every staff member we encountered on our cruises was delightful and helpful, I found those working the Dutch Cafe less personable.  

i certainly would not adjust my sailing so it included the Dutch Cafe.  JMO.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, bvocruise said:

I appreciate all of the comments and we will keep our cruise the middle of July. We have the aft corner suite on the 5th deck port side and are excited. I was just surprised by by watching numerous YouTube videos mentioning the Grand Dutch Cafe was the best part of Holland America. I think we will be okay with out it. It would have been nice to have some of the goodies served there but is not the end of the world.

I actually really like GDC cafe. It is a great place to sit, have a cup of brewed coffee, people watch, and listen to gossip. The tables are close enough so you can often hear what other people are saying and there are tons of foot traffic. 

19 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Second those who agree they would never changes a ship simply to get a Grand Dutch Cafe. It was one and done for us at the GDC on the Konigsdam.

Not sure what the fuss is about.   Some items were good, but most others were meh. There are plenty of other indulgences on the other ships if you want bonus snacks. 

Recent video posted here of dining options on the the Noordam also showed some of the same GDC items at their Explorations Cafe.

There are alot of sweets there, in the morning, but I don't eat sweets. The quiche is good, as well as the pea soup and grilled cheese sandwich, but I  would never choose a ship for those reasons. One of our very favorite things to do is always to enjoy local cuisine in port. You can try some wonderful food and drink off the ship, particularly in foreign lands.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bvocruise said:

Alaska is always about the itinerary.   Sounds like you have perfect itinerary and to change just for some snacks or treats would be soo very wrong.  Keep what you have.

I suggest you consider a cruise in 2025 on the ships that have Grand Dutch Cafe.    

• Like 1

Just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam on Sunday and I would definitely not switch just to experience the GDC.

We had a wonderful cruise - service was wonderful and food in the MDR was outstanding.  The ship was full with a lot of families with children but it was a very civilized group.  I much prefer the MDR on this class of ship, you can actually carry on a conversation whereas the newer ships have that vast open space that becomes very noisy.  We generally sail in balcony cabins but last summer on the Zuiderdam to Alaska we opted for a signature suite which was well worth it for the additional space.  Same this past trip.  We spent many a blissful hour on our balcony reading and watching for flying fish and it was so quiet!

You go to Alaska to experience the wonder of the scenery and wildlife, not for the GDC!  I should add that they also serve the famous pea soup on deck while the ship is sailing in Glacier Bay.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, bvocruise said:

Go up to the Crows nest. The coffee bar is wonderful and the treats are free

1 hour ago, Ellencruise said:

Go up to the Crows nest. The coffee bar is wonderful and the treats are free

Hi, bvocruise,

I sailed on the old version of Nieuw Amsterdam (1938 version), Westerdam and Oosterdam before I sailed on Rotterdam. The first three did not have a Grand Dutch Cafe so I did not miss it. On Rotterdam I only had two 8-inch, warm chocolate chip cookies that I thought were the best I ever ate. I would not change a cruise just to have a GDC on board. The Pinnacle class of ships max out 2,660 (or so) passengers and less than 1,000 feet in length. Not big ships in my opinion. Rotterdam was never crowded. GDC had no long lines, had pleasant window seats and I read a book while enjoying my cookie. Have great cruise to Alaska.

Jim

• Like 1