Bottle of "wine" (sake, irish cream, etc...)

Sabalon

Was wondering about the bottle of wine.  Our grocery store can only sell beer and wine.  I noticed today that they had Sake and they had Omara's Irish Cream, which again was wine based.   (Both had a lower alcohol content than some of the wines).  They also had pre-made margarita's, again wine based.

Are these going to pass the carry-on bag check?  Will I be trying to convince someone that it is a wine based drink?   

(or are most of you thinking that I shouldn't waste money on these wannabe concoctions?

• Like 1

It depends on how willing you are to argue your case if questioned at the port.

I have heard on here that people are having success bringing on the margarita wine coolers in particular.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor

It's a toss of a coin at any port However, I expect with all the new security details the coin should be double header.😁

59 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

It's a toss of a coin at any port However, I expect with all the new security details the coin should be double header.😁

My cruise earlier this month on the Radiance 3 day booze cruise no one even opened my luggage to check the two wine bottles we had in there and a case of coconut waters. Maybe it is that I am now 56 and not 26 😉 . After all this new security talk I thought for sure they would at least open my suitcase but nope. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

The "wines" you mentioned are not allowed.

Why not? Carnival's policy doesn't specify. Nowhere in Carnival's policy does it state your carry-on wine can't be flavored etc.

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750-ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne, per person, in their carry-on luggage.

There have been reports of people both being successful and being denied. From what I've read, west coast departures have been most successful with the wine products. It may come down to what port you are at and who you get.  

My last cruise no one checked.  The cruise before I can't remember if I just took it out to show or if they asked, but it was checked. 

7 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Why not? Carnival's policy doesn't specify. Nowhere in Carnival's policy does it state your carry-on wine can't be flavored etc.

Galveston port tried to deny me bringing champagne on saying it wasn't wine.  Only wine allowed. 

I had to go to supervisor. 

LIke others have said it is hot and miss on what you are allowed to take on the ship.

We did a cruise out of Port Canaveral... there were three of us over 21 in the cabin so we brought on 3 bottles.  Two wine and 1 mead.  No problems.  However... I have heard that sometimes they insist that each person has their own bottle in their own carry on.  We had all bottles in the same bag and they never checked the bag to see what was in it.  It just went through through the scanner and that was it.

What it comes down to is that it is up to the person at the port whether or not something counts as "wine" or something else that would be forbidden.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

My cruise earlier this month on the Radiance 3 day booze cruise no one even opened my luggage to check the two wine bottles we had in there and a case of coconut waters. Maybe it is that I am now 56 and not 26 😉 . After all this new security talk I thought for sure they would at least open my suitcase but nope. 

Interesting. I was on the Panorama last week (so, same terminal as you) and not only did they take the wine bottles out of my luggage, they checked to make sure they were sealed and even held them up to the light to see if the contents looked like wine. 

Also, I am about your age, but maybe I just look younger 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1kaper said:

There have been reports of people both being successful and being denied. From what I've read, west coast departures have been most successful with the wine products. It may come down to what port you are at and who you get.  

Wow...way my mind is going, I read that and first thought was "but it's not a port wine."  lmao

Thanks for all the responses.   I have had mixed experiences in the past from a good look at the bottle (which we never opened because we forgot a bottle opener) to having two bottles in my bag (carrying for my wife) and they never even took it out after they went through the x-ray.

If they're going by age and looks, then they may wave me on and hand me a confiscated bottle of liquor out of pity 🙂

I was mostly interested in the fake-Bailey's style stuff, but I'd think that'd be more likely to be questioned so I guess I'll just get the cheap fruity stuff my wife likes and call it a day.    Or maybe I should take my gaff above as a sign and find a port to try 🙂

Maybe it comes down to what it says on the label.  If it says "(red/white) wine", probably never an issue.

If it says "wine based malt beverage" then maybe not.

From what I can see online, the O'mara's front label doesn't say anything useful, and I can't find an image of the back (there must be something with the UPC code, at least).

2 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Interesting. I was on the Panorama last week (so, same terminal as you) and not only did they take the wine bottles out of my luggage, they checked to make sure they were sealed and even held them up to the light to see if the contents looked like wine. 

Also, I am about your age, but maybe I just look younger 😁

Or maybe you had a guilty look about you 🤣. When I was 40 I tried the lame old water in vodka bottles, 3 out of a case of costco waters and they found every one of them by shaking each bottle at Long Beach. Meanwhile the 12 Sparks drinks I put in the checked luggage went right through, go figure! The last three ports Long Beach, Miami, and Seattle, no one has looked into my carry on wine bottles or the 12 pack of Costco coconut waters. Just like calling Carnival on the phone, you never know what you will get with security, which I think is not even Carnival employees.