Explorations Cafe Question (Signature vs Vista)

bvocruise

My wife and I were on the Oosterdam many years ago and loved the Explorations Cafe. It was on the center of deck 3 I think and very convenient. We would often go there for coffee and event stop on the way off the ship to grab a bottle of water to take with us on a shore excursion. The location could not have been any better in our opinion. We are booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam next year and I noticed the Explorations Cafe is at the front of deck 11. This does not seem like a convenient coffee place, unless I am missing something.

Are there other places on the ship to purchase coffee or water to take into port? It is not a deal breaker bur seems pretty inconvenient.  I could be wrong, but thought for some reason the Crows Nest areas is where people smoked cigars all hours of the day. Again, I have not cruised on HAL for many years and my data set could be off.

I am interested to see what people think of the Explorations Cafe on Deck 11 and if there are other places to grab coffee or bottled water on shore excursion days. We would also get the Vita Water sometimes using our drink package. Do most people think the Explorations Cafe is a good fit on deck 11 forward?

We were on Noordam last month. While it doesn’t show on the deck plans, there was a coffee bar on deck 3 between the shops and the World Stage. It was across from the small meeting rooms. It also had pastries and other goodies. Hopefully you’ll find another location too.

2 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

We were on Noordam last month. While it doesn’t show on the deck plans, there was a coffee bar on deck 3 between the shops and the World Stage. It was across from the small meeting rooms. It also had pastries and other goodies. Hopefully you’ll find another location too.

That is the Explorations Cafe on the Noordam (and it does show on the deck plan)

NoordamExplorationscafe.thumb.jpg.0f92e18687ef4b3ab26bf756c9fb518e.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just got off the Oosterdam. Only place for specialty coffee was in the crow’s nest. Some mornings the lines were long. Staff was overworked. Watched them make my “skinny vanilla latte” and every single time they just grabbed whatever milk was handy. Don’t think I ever got skim milk in my latte. Probably not sugar free vanilla either. They were so busy I was not going to make them do it over. On the Noordam for Alaska in May and the cafe on deck 3 as wonderful. It would be nice to have 2 cafes for so many people

I was on the NA and hated the fact that the specialty coffee was way up in the Crow’s Nest. Such an inconvenient location! I just drank the coffee in the Lido instead. If they put a Grand Dutch Cafe on that ship, it would be much nicer, but I avoid that ship. The Zaandam has the Explorations Cafe on deck 3 (or 4?), but it’s nice to know the Noordam and Oosterdam have it there too!

On NA's sister, Eurodam, the PInnacle Bar had specialty coffees. On sea days, I went there for a mid-morning latte. Because I had an aft cabin, I didn't want to hike to Explorations just for coffee, so I was pleased to discover it midships. I was also able to get cans of water on my way to an excursion. 

The deck 11 forward Explorations is not at all like the old Crows Nest. It has tabletop screens where you can search for cruises or where your ship is or some such thing. It has very cool screens with all kinds of ship data, like the angles of the azipods and how fast they're turning. Unfortunately, these screens sit right at the center of the windows, breaking up that lovely panoramic view you used to get when you first walked in. As nice as the forward view is, I found sitting in the Pinnacle Bar with a coffee much nicer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

On NA's sister, Eurodam, the PInnacle Bar had specialty coffees. On sea days, I went there for a mid-morning latte. Because I had an aft cabin, I didn't want to hike to Explorations just for coffee, so I was pleased to discover it midships. I was also able to get cans of water on my way to an excursion. 

The deck 11 forward Explorations is not at all like the old Crows Nest. It has tabletop screens where you can search for cruises or where your ship is or some such thing. It has very cool screens with all kinds of ship data, like the angles of the azipods and how fast they're turning. Unfortunately, these screens sit right at the center of the windows, breaking up that lovely panoramic view you used to get when you first walked in. As nice as the forward view is, I found sitting in the Pinnacle Bar with a coffee much nicer. 

Thank you for the information. I am happy to hear the Pinnacle Bar serves coffees and things in the morning and we can grab water on the way to shore excursions. I assume the NA has this if the sister ship does. We ended up with an after corner suite for our Alaska cruise. I'm hoping the longs walks to everything and being isolated  in the back of the ship are worth with amazing views. We booked a port side on deck 5 on the cruise from Alaska. 

5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

An aft corner in Alaska is fantastic! You will have great views, and if you get a cold or drizzly day ("liquid sunshine"), you can duck inside to warm up. 

I was lucky to get one because they booked up quickly. I wanted the deck 7 one but it was gone the moment the 2024 season opened.

1 hour ago, cabinluvn said:

Just off the Oosterdam. Only cafe is in the crow’s nest

Are there other places to get coffee in the morning? It seems a bit inconvenient to go to the Crow's Nest. We loved the Oosterdam when sailing on it years ago.

1 minute ago, bvocruise said:

Are there other places to get coffee in the morning? It seems a bit inconvenient to go to the Crow's Nest. We loved the Oosterdam when sailing on it years ago.

The lido or the dining room when open. Lido coffee largely undrinkable

1 hour ago, cabinluvn said:

The lido or the dining room when open. Lido coffee largely undrinkable

I'm surprised there isn't anything on the lower decks. Especially on the morning of shore excursions. It would be much more convenient to grab something there before heading off the ship.

@bvocruise, you're on the Nieuw Amsterdam, right? That's a signature ship, as is the Eurodam. On the Eurodam, there was no "cafe" midships, but the Pinnacle Bar had specialty coffees. On my cruise, Explorations opened at 6 AM and Pinnacle Bar at 7 AM. In a Neptune Suite, you also have access to the coffee machine in the Neptune Lounge. I'm not sure when that opens, maybe 8 AM? 9 AM? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bvocruise said:

Thank you for the information. I am happy to hear the Pinnacle Bar serves coffees and things in the morning and we can grab water on the way to shore excursions. I assume the NA has this if the sister ship does. We ended up with an after corner suite for our Alaska cruise. I'm hoping the longs walks to everything and being isolated  in the back of the ship are worth with amazing views. We booked a port side on deck 5 on the cruise from Alaska. 

I just got off NA and the Explorations Cafe is the Crows Nest Bar.  I am not a fan of this, and MUCH prefer the cafes in the older and smaller ships (Vista class ships and Zaandam) The larger dedicated cafe is much nicer, IMO.  At least on the newest ships there is the Dutch Cafe in addition to the Explorations being part of crows nest, but on NA, sadly, there is only the less than adequate combination on deck 11.  I will say, though, that the "baristas" (the Crows Nest bar tenders) led by Dexter, on my NA cruise last week were stellar, and did a great job with the coffee, and we never encountered any long lines, but that might be down to our hours - I am often the first in line for morning coffee when they open!

14 minutes ago, Moriah said:

I just got off NA and the Explorations Cafe is the Crows Nest Bar.  I am not a fan of this, and MUCH prefer the cafes in the older and smaller ships (Vista class ships and Zaandam) The larger dedicated cafe is much nicer, IMO.  At least on the newest ships there is the Dutch Cafe in addition to the Explorations being part of crows nest, but on NA, sadly, there is only the less than adequate combination on deck 11.  I will say, though, that the "baristas" (the Crows Nest bar tenders) led by Dexter, on my NA cruise last week were stellar, and did a great job with the coffee, and we never encountered any long lines, but that might be down to our hours - I am often the first in line for morning coffee when they open!

I guess my wife and I were spoiled back in the day on our Oosterdam cruise. The cafe was in the perfect spot on a lower deck and we could easily grab something in the morning before heading out. It seems out of the way and an inconvenience to deck 11 to grad coffee or a bottle water for a shore excursion. I'm not sure who thought that was a great design as I certainly do not. It won't keep is from the cruise, but we might pass on purchasing specialty coffee that week.

Just now, bvocruise said:

I guess my wife and I were spoiled back in the day on our Oosterdam cruise. The cafe was in the perfect spot on a lower deck and we could easily grab something in the morning before heading out. It seems out of the way and an inconvenience to deck 11 to grad coffee or a bottle water for a shore excursion. I'm not sure who thought that was a great design as I certainly do not. It won't keep is from the cruise, but we might pass on purchasing specialty coffee that week.

My feeling exactly.  Having to hike up to the Crow's Nest really makes no sense - As I mentioned, on the Rotterdam and her sisters, there is the Dutch Cafe in a prime location right across from the front desk, but on NA and Eurodam, they took away the great Explorations Cafe that we have on the Vista class, but didn't replace it with anything nearly as good.  One bright spot... the coffee from room service and the Lido are much MUCH better than they were just a few years ago.  On my last cruise I started getting room service because it was more convenient, even though it meant I would not see Dexter than morning LOL

47 minutes ago, Moriah said:

My feeling exactly.  Having to hike up to the Crow's Nest really makes no sense - As I mentioned, on the Rotterdam and her sisters, there is the Dutch Cafe in a prime location right across from the front desk, but on NA and Eurodam, they took away the great Explorations Cafe that we have on the Vista class, but didn't replace it with anything nearly as good.  One bright spot... the coffee from room service and the Lido are much MUCH better than they were just a few years ago.  On my last cruise I started getting room service because it was more convenient, even though it meant I would not see Dexter than morning LOL

Someone mentioned the Pinnacle Bar opens at 7:00 am and you can get coffee and water to take off the ship there. I will be checking that out for sure. 

They used to sell beverages from a small table in the departure deck foyer, on the way out of the ship before you gone in the gangway exit line.

Don't know if that changed once they also got rid of so many onboard disposable cans.

Do I also remember bar personnel wandering around the waiting excursions groups  the show room lounge, also selling cans of soda and water before departing the ship?