QM2 Sheltered Balcony

thecruiserman

No obstruction 

Lower deck usually means more stability. Obstructed balconies are located on Deck 8 sheltered balcs a few decks lower. 

I’m not sure what advantages obstructed balcs bring except slightly less cost. Maybe on a TA the obstruction doesn’t matter much so save money for onboard spending. 

Not sure if there’s more to add. 

Edited by NE John

53 minutes ago, thecruiserman said:

What are the advantages/ disadvantages of the QM2 sheltered balconies vs. obstructed balconies?

You can step out onto a sheltered balcony when there is a 'force 11' wind closing promenade deck access. Likely that would not be pleasant on any of the Britannia glass fronted balconies. [There are a couple of aft facing Queens Grill balconies that might be useable when a stiff wind is over the bow.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thecruiserman said:

What are the advantages/ disadvantages of the QM2 sheltered balconies vs. obstructed balconies?

The actual balcony of a sheltered balcony cabin is slightly larger that the balcony of an obstructed view cabin. The balconies are all the same width but the sheltered balcony is about a foot or so deeper. This does not take away from any cabin space. The cabins are all identical in size and layout. We have found that less natural light gets into the room of a sheltered balcony cabin. There is also a distinct difference in the view from a sheltered balcony cabin. Being below the promenade deck means that you can look directly down to the sea plus you are a lot closer to the water. We liked that experience. The major drawback, for us, of a sheltered balcony cabin is that because of the height of the balcony opening, you cannot see the water when you are sitting down either on the balcony or in the cabin. All you see is sky. You have to be standing in order to see the ocean and horizon. 

Hope this helps

Jack

F79DA42D-2155-44AC-98A8-F743E3844F55.thumb.jpeg.be03ce7caa902750af767b7d9ed9ba19.jpegE2DE3D31-B9E2-4C24-A5AB-431C7B14BAEE.thumb.jpeg.c3112bc5ae6d7d910406c0cfcf18b118.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

You can step out onto a sheltered balcony when there is a 'force 11' wind closing promenade deck access. Likely that would not be pleasant on any of the Britannia glass fronted balconies. [There are a couple of aft facing Queens Grill balconies that might be useable when a stiff wind is over the bow.

Even at lower wind speeds, there are times when it's unpleasantly chilly on the glass balconies but nice and cozy in the sheltered balconies. I love the sheltered balconies for a TA. It's true that you can't see the ocean when you're sitting down, but you can have fresh air and sunshine (depending on the orientation of the ship). I don't like the obstructed balconies. On a sunny day, the lifeboats give the room an orange glow.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Even at lower wind speeds, there are times when it's unpleasantly chilly on the glass balconies but nice and cozy in the sheltered balconies. I love the sheltered balconies for a TA. It's true that you can't see the ocean when you're sitting down, but you can have fresh air and sunshine (depending on the orientation of the ship). I don't like the obstructed balconies. On a sunny day, the lifeboats give the room an orange glow.

I was very impressed by the sheltered balc when quarantined in one. If you are over about 5’9”, and sit up straightish, you can see a bit of the sea sitting down. Also the cabin is much lighter than I was expecting. Considering I really didn’t want to be there, it was a very positive impression.

• Like 2

We love using a TA to get to…and even better FROM the other side of the ocean to be with our son and his family in France. Therefore, sheltered is the way to go for us for all the reasons others have noted. Our next voyage is westward TA after visiting England in December, and the North Atlantic in December makes a sheltered balcony a near necessity.

We have been Inside, sheltered, balcony and princess Grill, had a look at deck 8 but if you want a view of the ocean sheltered is the way to go, only problem is unless you are very tall,sitting  on your balcony chair you cannot see the ocean, you will have to stand

4 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

We have been Inside, sheltered, balcony and princess Grill, had a look at deck 8 but if you want a view of the ocean sheltered is the way to go, only problem is unless you are very tall,sitting  on your balcony chair you cannot see the ocean, you will have to stand

Not very tall. I am just under 5’10” and I could see a bit of the sea, if I didn’t loll.

On 3/29/2023 at 11:25 PM, thecruiserman said:

Sheltered are in the hull and have a metal front. The sea is directly below you. Obstructed are in the superstructure so have a glass front, but have lifeboats in the way... We travelled QG and so were above the lifeboats, but you can't see the sea below you. Given the choice you've suggested I'd go sheltered - to see the sea rushing alongside... I guess a glass front is nice if it's sunny and warm...

• Thanks 1