Help - Grandfather died on HAL 2023 WC

rsbrocco

My grandfather was on the ms Zuiderdam and took ill. They provided some medical care on board, but they forced him to get off the ship in Luanda, Angola on March 21. They sent him to a clinic in Angola and refused to let him back on board the ship. My family has spent the last week trying to get him medically evacuated from Angola and flown home for adequate medical care. 

He passed away yesterday, March 29, alone in a hospital in Angola. We are now beginning the arduous process of repatriating his remains. 

My family is looking for any guidance you might have in navigating this terrible situation. We’ve been in contact with the generic HAL support lines, insurance companies, and the embassy - all to little avail. 

Thank you. 

Edited by rsbrocco
Mispelling
  • Like 1

I want to express my condolences to you and your family. What a heartbreaking situation. I have no advice for you, but I think you are in the right place as there are some very knowledgeable and experienced people on this forum. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, rsbrocco said:

My family is looking for any guidance you might have in navigating this terrible situation. We’ve been in contact with the generic HAL support lines, insurance companies, and the embassy - all to little avail. 

If he has travel insurance repatriation of the remains is probaly covered. Call the insurance conpany. If you are a US citizen you might call your congressmans office. I have found the staff there to often be helpful in dealing with issues like you describe. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

My condolences for your loss. I would second the recommendation to contact a congressman. I suggest a Senator. I have found them surprisingly helpful when dealing with government bureaucracy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Please accept my condolences and welcome to cruise critic.

Your grandfather’s nationality and whether there is any applicable insurances in place are critical. Repatriation of remains is usually managed through the embassy of the country of the deceased individual while insurance is responsible for providing whatever is in scope for the policy- payment of specified fees within established limits and/or direct provision of services. The latter is good because you then may not to spend effort identifying who can perform a service, how much. and when.

Please see https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/death-abroad1.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rsbrocco said:

My grandfather was on the ms Zuiderdam and took ill. They provided some medical care on board, but they forced him to get off the ship in Luanda, Angola on March 21. They sent him to a clinic in Angola and refused to let him back on board the ship. My family has spent the last week trying to get him medically evacuated from Angola and flown home for adequate medical care. 

He passed away yesterday, March 29, alone in a hospital in Angola. We are now beginning the arduous process of repatriating his remains. 

Thank you. 

Who's your insurance company? And you need to get a hold of a Hal supervisor immediately.

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

Who's your insurance company? And you need to get a hold of a Hal supervisor immediately.

CareFree Travel Assistance and Allianz - they're currently debating who's responsible for the repatriation. 

Do you have any recommendations for how to get ahold of someone at HAL? We are struggling to get any support or action from the folks on family assistance line. 

29 minutes ago, rsbrocco said:

CareFree Travel Assistance and Allianz - they're currently debating who's responsible for the repatriation. 

Do you have any recommendations for how to get ahold of someone at HAL? We are struggling to get any support or action from the folks on family assistance line. 

Try 206-626-7060 this is for Hal family assistance, I just checked for the correct number.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My condolences for your loss.  My suggestion is to see if your grandfather already made funeral arrangements.  I have made mine and I noted at the time that it included repatriation.  I'm not sure if that is because I also prepaid my funeral costs.  Of course, things could be different depending on where your grandfather made his arrangements (if he made them). 

• Like 3

Wow...so sorry to hear that sad story.  I have no experience with anything remotely like this but will give a few thoughts anyway.

I think there are two distinct issues here:  how to get your grandfather's remains home, and who will pay for it.  If it was someone in my family, I would worry about the first part first, and figure out the second later.  It is likely further complicated that you are dealing with a third-world country with little infrastructure.  It might ultimately be that you or someone from your family will have to go to Angola to get it figured out.

I like the idea of consulting with a local funeral home; I'm sure they deal with this regularly for getting remains returned from a few hundred miles away within your own country, but I doubt they commonly deal with a foreign third-world country.  But I would definitely lean on them for advice.

His trip insurance may also be able to help with the process, in addition to paying for the repatriation.  I'm not sure why HAL would be involved, other than being a nice company.  If you didn't have HAL's trip insurance, I would assume they would not have any legal obligation to get involved.

• Like 1

There is a U.S. Embassy in Luanda.  They might be of help.  If you need help in contacting them your Representative or Senator should be able to help.   The U.S. Ambassador to Angola is Tulinabo Mushingi, PH.D.  There are many numbers for the U.S. Embassy in Luanda but a couple are 244 222 64 1000, 244 222 44 7028.  On the Embassy's website there are also email addresses.  A call or email to our State Department could also get quick results.

So shocked that HAL is not being more helpful.  You should not be going thru this.   I am so sorry for you and your family.  Cherie 

Sorry I notice you have already contacted the embassy. 

Edited by cccole
  • Like 3

What sad news; I'm so sorry for your loss.  I also suggest contacting your local funeral home for assistance in repatriating your grandfather's body.  Unless there's a directive he left for cremation before being returned.  Please let us know how you manage through this; our hearts go out to you and your family.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Try 206-626-7060 this is for Hal family assistance, I just checked for the correct number.

So sorry for your loss. It sounds like the Insurance company may be part of the problem. If so, you can contact the Division of Insurance for the state where your grandfather lived. They regulate all insurance sold in that state and may be able to help if the insurance company is not providing the coverage paid for. 

• Like 1

Elliot.org gives the executive contacts for Holland America, and your travel insurance companies. I would send an email to all of these contacts and also ask this advocacy organization for assistance since it seems that the travel insurance companies are not honoring the policies your grandfather purchased if he has repatriation coverage.  The travel insurance companies should be assisting in making the arrangements.  Also as others said contact the consulate as well -  they don't pay for repatriation but assist in these matters.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1