Influencers onboard

zitsky

This discussion reminds me of a funny story.  Decades ago I was on a cruise and among our table mates were a couple from New York.  They were both police in officers and the wife had apparently sustained an injury in the line of duty which made it very difficult to move her neck without pain.  Also at our table was my family and a couple from Australia who were a lot of fun.  Anyway, we all got along great and became fast friends.  Well, I and the Australian couple both took a ton of pictures to remember the cruise and the New York couple always did their best to avoid the camera.  They never said not to take their picture but would decline group shots or would subtly turn their heads and look at something in a different direction if someone had a camera out.  Now bear in mind, this was back in the days of good old film (not digital) and the only internet was the old dial up kind where you had to choose between using the phone or the internet.  People used the internet to get into news groups and maybe send an email - social media didn't even exist.  No one shared pictures online.  It was truly the dark ages. 😉

Well, towards the end of the trip the New York couple accidentally let it slip that she was on workers comp (or something similar) due to her injury and apparently if it got out that they were able travel she would have been forced to return to work and apparently could have even been investigated for fraud due to the injury not being as bad as they let on.  It suddenly made sense why they avoided the cameras at all costs!   

They would have lost their minds if they tried to pull that off today, where literally every moment is captured on live streams and social media by influencers and regular folks, alike!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MobiusHky said:

That's not correct.  In order for that to be the case, the cruise line must have in place a policy that specifically states that video is not allowed without the express written consent of the cruise line.  Without that policy put into place, you don't have a "reasonable expectation of privacy".  The only places that you would have that expectation would be in your private room (stateroom) or in restrooms or lockers.  Again, if the cruise line published a "no photography or filming" policy than you would be right.  But a cruise line is still "public" in that you are not in your private property.  You're welcome to do the research on your own, but this is a pretty decent interview conducted with a lawyer who says basically the same thing.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/24/18015374/whyd-you-push-that-button-record-stranger-public

This is a common misunderstanding of the law.  You can be filmed anywhere that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy.  Even on cruise ships.  This is the life blood of paparazzi.  As long as you're in public, you're fair game.

It seems a little creepy if I’m going around the pool area taking video and photo of random strangers because you say there is no privacy.  😳

• Like 2

On 3/30/2023 at 2:19 PM, zitsky said:

I just watched part of a YouTube video by some rather annoying guys, recording in one of the Beyond pools.  Do I have to worry about influencers, TikTok stars etc taking over the ship?  I don’t have a problem sharing space but I’m not leaving a space to make it more convenient for them.

I have never seen any influencers on a celebrity ship being obnoxious, presumptuous or otherwise conspicuous.I did see a couple who are avid celebrity cruisers and with a huge online following. They tended to seek out areas to film during times those spaces are empty. For example they were in Sushi on 5 for lunch on embarkation day, quietly filming an interview over lunch. I saw them throughout the cruise and they were never taking up space or getting in others' way. 

9 hours ago, prmssk said:

How is a company putting together a video and then selling it to their customers on that sailing, not commercial use?

No, I never said it´s not commercial but it´s not published for everyone.

@MobiusHky thanks for the link. The headline would be the thing here in Europe. As long as the person can´t be recognized you can publish it. BTW we differ between taking footage (video or photo) and publishing it. So taking the video for your private vacation summary is totally o.k. as long as you only show it to your family and friends. But it´s not o.k. to publish it online. Those examples of the viral videos would even be legal to publish as there´s a public interest in publishing them. But there won´t be any legal interest publishing a video of people laying next to the pool and enjoying their vacay. And even the US laws are stricter when it comes to show any minors in your pictures (which is more or less not to avoid on a cruise ship).

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

13 hours ago, steamboats said:

Actually you´re not in the public on a cruise ship and therefore anyone taking videos needs your consent. Taking a video you also need a consent of the cruise line. When the cruise line is taking videos you get a note telling you that you have to report at the reception if you don´t want to be in that video.

steamboats

Nope,  anyplace outside your cabin is considered a public place.  No consent is needed.

5 hours ago, MobiusHky said:

That's not correct.  In order for that to be the case, the cruise line must have in place a policy that specifically states that video is not allowed without the express written consent of the cruise line.  Without that policy put into place, you don't have a "reasonable expectation of privacy".  The only places that you would have that expectation would be in your private room (stateroom) or in restrooms or lockers.  Again, if the cruise line published a "no photography or filming" policy than you would be right.  But a cruise line is still "public" in that you are not in your private property.  You're welcome to do the research on your own, but this is a pretty decent interview conducted with a lawyer who says basically the same thing.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/24/18015374/whyd-you-push-that-button-record-stranger-public

This is a common misunderstanding of the law.  You can be filmed anywhere that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy.  Even on cruise ships.  This is the life blood of paparazzi.  As long as you're in public, you're fair game.

this is correct, even in Germany

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, crazyank said:

this is correct, even in Germany

It definitely isn´t... A cruise ship is sort of private like a shop or a hotel or any other building. You need the permission of the owner to take videos for publishing (Hausrecht). And for privacy reasons you´re not allowed to show other people without their consent (as long as they can be recognized). Like the example in the fitness studio - no way in Germany! You can´t show people on the threadmill in a video online.

BTW, another point... Celebrity ships are registered in Malta, EU. So Maltese and European laws set in and not US law (unless the ship is in a US port).

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

I have no clue if some of the posters on here are the same, but I do find it amusing that a video of the buffet from a couple that videos their cruises, I do enjoy their videos, really helped get the Celebrity is on going down hill conversations going. So they obviously do have some merit.

I will say that I generally don't put a lot of weight into the comments that the person is stating about the cruise line. Heck I don't put a lot into the words of folks on here or I would have canceled my February cruise. What I use the videos for is the visuals of a particular ship to help make my decisions or to scout out spots to hang out on the ship. They can be invaluable for that. Prior to that Feb cruise and the video of the buffet that dropped, we had planned to do a couple of dinners in the buffet for the first time. The video helped us adjust and we enjoyed the MDR dining the whole cruise. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I have no clue if some of the posters on here are the same, but I do find it amusing that a video of the buffet from a couple that videos their cruises, I do enjoy their videos, really helped get the Celebrity is on going down hill conversations going. So they obviously do have some merit.

I will say that I generally don't put a lot of weight into the comments that the person is stating about the cruise line. Heck I don't put a lot into the words of folks on here or I would have canceled my February cruise. What I use the videos for is the visuals of a particular ship to help make my decisions or to scout out spots to hang out on the ship. They can be invaluable for that. Prior to that Feb cruise and the video of the buffet that dropped, we had planned to do a couple of dinners in the buffet for the first time. The video helped us adjust and we enjoyed the MDR dining the whole cruise. 

When, if ever, does it become an invasion of privacy?

You video your wife in the buffet with 10 people in the background.

Someone gets drunk and you film them running around the pool.

Someone on the next pool chair starts talking about how they hate the President.  You start filming because you think it’s funny.  You decide to post it on YouTube.

I like youtube cruise videos. They were super helpful when planning a Virgin Voyages cruise, because I didn't know anything about the cruise line.

If you don't want to be in video or pictures, I suggest you stay home because cameras are everywhere nowadays. I think back to traveling in my past and packing cameras, film, camcorders, tapes, etc... What a hassle.  Today, virtually everyone has a sophisticated camera and video recorder in their pockets.  They're everywhere and if you want to be unseen, you better not go out. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, zitsky said:

When, if ever, does it become an invasion of privacy?

You video your wife in the buffet with 10 people in the background.

Someone gets drunk and you film them running around the pool.

Someone on the next pool chair starts talking about how they hate the President.  You start filming because you think it’s funny.  You decide to post it on YouTube.

You missed my point lol.

The point you bring up, the answer is never going to please everyone. I was just on Instagram and I believe a Celebrity employee had pictures of the crew vs guest volleyball game posted. Some would say that is fine, others would say that the people in the background needed to be blurred out. At this point it is what it is and if you step foot out of your house, you run the risk of being filmed or having your picture taken and posted somewhere.

47 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I have been influenced at this point to stop reading this thread.

I'm with ya !!

Been on many cruises and never noticed or was bothered by someone with a camera that might have me/us in the background.

" Influencer " ? Oh yea, Now I get it-----

LOL--- That 32 yr old with the " old fart " that I can't stop talking about ( a little jealous perhaps ) ---That's an " influencer " !!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

I like youtube cruise videos. They were super helpful when planning a Virgin Voyages cruise, because I didn't know anything about the cruise line.

If you don't want to be in video or pictures, I suggest you stay home because cameras are everywhere nowadays. I think back to traveling in my past and packing cameras, film, camcorders, tapes, etc... What a hassle.  Today, virtually everyone has a sophisticated camera and video recorder in their pockets.  They're everywhere and if you want to be unseen, you better not go out. 

Because there are cameras everywhere don’t go out?  Because you film me on a cruise I have to just get over it?

I like the European approach, as I understand it.  Give people more privacy.

The reason we all have to click accept cookies everywhere is because someone said “Hey maybe people have a right to privacy?”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

It seems a little creepy if I’m going around the pool area taking video and photo of random strangers because you say there is no privacy.  😳

My point is to simply remind people that their expectation of privacy ends when they leave their cabin.  I'm not an influencer.  Trust me, nobody wants to see me on youtwitface.

9 hours ago, steamboats said:

No, I never said it´s not commercial but it´s not published for everyone.

@MobiusHky thanks for the link. The headline would be the thing here in Europe. As long as the person can´t be recognized you can publish it. BTW we differ between taking footage (video or photo) and publishing it. So taking the video for your private vacation summary is totally o.k. as long as you only show it to your family and friends. But it´s not o.k. to publish it online. Those examples of the viral videos would even be legal to publish as there´s a public interest in publishing them. But there won´t be any legal interest publishing a video of people laying next to the pool and enjoying their vacay. And even the US laws are stricter when it comes to show any minors in your pictures (which is more or less not to avoid on a cruise ship).

steamboats

There is a pretty bold line of demarcation between filming people as part of a documentary or story not related to them specifically and filming people with the intent to earn money off their likeness.  For instance, filming people on the ship as you walk around is ok for your YT channel (unless the cruise line says no).  Filming people and then using that footage in a commercial to promote the cruise line is not ok without consent.  

There are tons of cruise videos, walking videos on streets, etc from all around the world.  In those videos, people are not required to provide consent.  But if you make a commercial that promotes your restaurant in Italy for instance, you need their consent or you blur their faces.

BTW, I'm super left brained so even though I'm saying this is the legal aspect, personally I can't stand influencers and what they do.  I know it's the "new entertainment", but frankly I see them as money _____s just looking to be rich/famous without having to work.  But then, I feel the same way about celebrity tours of vacation destinations.  Like when celebrity chefs tour Italy for their show.  It's just paying for their vacation.  So is it morally ok to film people, no.  But legally it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Because there are cameras everywhere don’t go out?  Because you film me on a cruise I have to just get over it?

Yes to you should get over it. You don't have to get over it but it won't matter if you don't get over it and I don't really care if you don't get over it. 

Edited by Charles4515

16 minutes ago, MobiusHky said:

BTW, I'm super left brained so even though I'm saying this is the legal aspect, personally I can't stand influencers and what they do.  I know it's the "new entertainment", but frankly I see them as money _____s just looking to be rich/famous without having to work.  

This was true about the influencer who owned a condo in my building for about a year. She got packages every day and one week the Dell was the best and two weeks latter a MacBook was the best etc.etc. She did a lot of unboxings.  I watched a few of her videos. Had a lot of subscribers because I think she was young and pretty. Her channel was mostly BS.  After buying the condo and remodeling she suddenly sold it and and moved to a rental building. I suspect she was in over her head financialy. She had a whole video on moving in and then a whole video on moving out...a lot of narcissism. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Yes to you should get over it. You don't have to get over it but it won't matter if you don't get over it and I don't really care if you don't get over it. 

Well you’re not my parents and you can’t tell me what to do.  😂😂😂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

This was true about the influencer who owned a condo in my building for about a year. She got packages every day and one week the Dell was the best and two weeks latter a MacBook was the best etc.etc. She did a lot of unboxings.  I watched a few of her videos. Had a lot of subscribers because I think she was young and pretty. Her channel was mostly BS.  After buying the condo and remodeling she suddenly sold it and and moved to a rental building. I suspect she was in over her head financialy. She had a whole video on moving in and then a whole video on moving out...a lot of narcissism. 

Huh?

I love seeing vloggers! I have never seen them to be rude or disruptive. Do they sometimes take 30 seconds longer to do something? Sure, sometimes. But who cares? I find them much better than line cutters, chair hogs, show talkers, and whatever other annoying traveler/guest/passenger. I consume a lot of content when researching for cruises. Maybe all the people commenting negatively here has cruised so much that nothing is new to them so there's no value in additional information? However, for people starting to get into cruising or switching lines, I find the content on YouTube and Instagram to be invaluable. A lot of the vloggers give us a perspective that we can't find in commissioned marketing materials. It's literally the live blogs or cruise reviews on Cruise Critic, but shown in video format. They're great when you have 20-30 minutes of downtime and don't want to scroll on a computer screen all day. In fact @Chris Wong was the vlogger that got us to try out Royal Caribbean and now Celebrity. (We were a Princess family prior.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BazingAu said:

I love seeing vloggers! I have never seen them to be rude or disruptive. Do they sometimes take 30 seconds longer to do something? Sure, sometimes. But who cares? I find them much better than line cutters, chair hogs, show talkers, and whatever other annoying traveler/guest/passenger. I consume a lot of content when researching for cruises. Maybe all the people commenting negatively here has cruised so much that nothing is new to them so there's no value in additional information? However, for people starting to get into cruising or switching lines, I find the content on YouTube and Instagram to be invaluable. A lot of the vloggers give us a perspective that we can't find in commissioned marketing materials. It's literally the live blogs or cruise reviews on Cruise Critic, but shown in video format. They're great when you have 20-30 minutes of downtime and don't want to scroll on a computer screen all day. In fact @Chris Wong was the vlogger that got us to try out Royal Caribbean and now Celebrity. (We were a Princess family prior.)

You want video.  Fine.  Find a way to do it without bothering other people.  Is that too much to ask?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1