Influencers onboard

zitsky

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

A top YTer, tony did a whole video on getting advanced permission on all his videos that happen on ships, he stated he always asks for permission in advance and specifically asks if anything is off limits.  That video was in regards to him getting advanced permission on MSC yet having many MSC crew members telling him he cannot film

I would imagine most of the bigger YTers are asking for permission when doing cruise news and/or reviews while on board.  I'm sure some YTers do not ask for permission and there are also "influencers" who will take video while on the ship but the video content is about something entirely unrelated to cruising; most of those prob aren't asking for permission

From whom are they asking permission?  Celebrity or the people in their videos?

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Celebrity...I would imagine it's just about impossible to ever get every person on a sailings to give permission

Doesn’t seem that hard to say “do you mind?” if you have a few people in your shot.

On 4/11/2023 at 10:04 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

If you go to youtube, enter "celebrity cruises" then sort by most viewed, you see many of the influencer videos...The term "influencer" has largely been replaced by "content creator", 

Was on the 5th Edge sailing after the restart, it just so happened that LLP and the Cruising influencers Don and Tony were on.  Jim Zim, who I believe has the subscribers was recently on Celebrity and complained about the burgers...lol

Fun fact, globally, when you ask kids what they want to be when they grow up the majority want to be influencers/content creators

Gee that is a depressing thought.

On 4/1/2023 at 8:39 AM, mfs2k said:

There are many places you can go if anyone onboard is annoying and I assure you, on a cruise, there will be people who annoy you, just as you will likely annoy someone else. .  

It surprises me how many responders take this concern seriously.  I think this thread is here to stir the sh*t.  The goal was achieved. 

Well at least it is not another thread on chair hogs or some other repetitive subject.

The better You tubers provide good information 

man’s no cruise line restricts video cameras so everyone is fair game

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

You tell me...lol 

Can’t help you there.  How about you?  Maybe you wrote naughty pictures in the monks’ scrolls?  Painted pictures on cave walls?  🥸

I was a minor character in fifth grade in a play about St. George and the dragon.  Was that narcissism?

On 4/1/2023 at 3:41 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Yes, you should be worried about that TikTok star, Capt Kate, taking over the ship!  (I'm a huge fan of her)

i love the video she made during the pandemic of her rescuing a seagull at the bow of the ship.  she got a towel and carried it up and to where it could fly on its own.  wow one of the best things.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 10:04 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

If you go to youtube, enter "celebrity cruises" then sort by most viewed, you see many of the influencer videos...The term "influencer" has largely been replaced by "content creator", you have all different types of them, some may focus on overall travel, some are exclusive to cruising and some might be exclusive to one cruise line

Was on the 5th Edge sailing after the restart, it just so happened that LLP and the Cruising influencers Don and Tony were on.  Jim Zim, who I believe has the subscribers was recently on Celebrity and complained about the burgers...lol

The youngin's who are probably on X with their parents nowadays are on tiktok, far less about them showcasing the cruise and more about them doing a little dance routine or something

Fun fact, globally, when you ask kids what they want to be when they grow up the majority want to be influencers/content creators

Another great career... like  being a "producer" ..

We are doomed!  Way too much time spent on line!

On 4/11/2023 at 9:04 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

If you go to youtube, enter "celebrity cruises" then sort by most viewed, you see many of the influencer videos...The term "influencer" has largely been replaced by "content creator", you have all different types of them, some may focus on overall travel, some are exclusive to cruising and some might be exclusive to one cruise line

The youngin's who are probably on X with their parents nowadays are on tiktok, far less about them showcasing the cruise and more about them doing a little dance routine or something

so I see Celebrity, Gary aka tips for travelers, and life well cruised dominate the first page on iPad and two random videos I don’t know. Gary and Life well cruised do fine tasteful videos and one can skip the ones they don’t like. 

This isn’t like some of the stuff I see in fishing vids that look like the old MTV Jack*** shoes that get lots of likes and views. The ones at the top imo try to provide helpful information. Yes I subscribed to both I listed above. Results may be different on TikTok but I never got the purpose of that app. 

I always bring my assistant from work on my personal trips.  He does all my photo and video shoots.  He complains about having to pay for cruises but I think he wants to keep his job.  /s. 😂😂😂

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

Can’t help you there.  How about you?  Maybe you wrote naughty pictures in the monks’ scrolls?  Painted pictures on cave walls?  🥸

I was a minor character in fifth grade in a play about St. George and the dragon.  Was that narcissism?

🥸

I have no idea how to reply so I'll use AI chatGPT...

image.thumb.png.c2edb32ec899d88a954e5dd5fb6b18b8.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I always bring my assistant from work on my personal trips.  He does all my photo and video shoots.  He complains about having to pay for cruises but I think he wants to keep his job.  /s. 😂😂😂

Use this: https://finance.yahoo.com/m/513171ed-2187-3d3c-b457-1758cf6ee5fc/these-workers-claim-they.html

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

On 3/30/2023 at 2:48 PM, cgolf1 said:

I have watched a lot of you tube videos from younger to middle aged TAs talking about the different ships. They have been hugely helpful in our research, between the onboard stuff and excursion stuff. I haven't seen any videos of people doing crazy things for attention, but I guess they are probably out there. 

For our upcoming Canada/New England cruise on HAL, you tube has really bailed us out for planning our stops out and figuring out a new cruise line. I also subscribe to multiple as well.

I also subscribe to multiple influencers. Some are just TA's giving stateroom tours, and those are very informative. The influencer couple we watch the most always edit out their food chewing, which is one of the things we appreciate about their videos. We were watching a different couple last night who had done one on complimentary dining venues on Celebrity, and had to turn it off when they were showing breakfast in the MDR. 

• Like 1

The issue I think I have with all this is the term influencer. The people I mentioned after the Celebrity cruises search above, provide helpful and informative content that helps the cruising public make better decisions and maybe learn how to pack better. Yes they do it for clicks and to make some money, but at the same time they provide a service. 

What I think of as influencers are the people trying to continually try and get the viral videos and the most clicks and likes by posting videos that are wastes of time for me to watch and don't provide any benefit other than maybe making you laugh. Those posters might be more likely to be more obnoxious and to not care how they impact others peoples experiences. Right now I have gone down the every day carry rabbit hole on you tube and there is a ton of helpful information there to help me make smart purchasing decisions along with the cruise videos I watch, so there is a good side to this.

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 2

I just find the term “influencer” so pretentious.  It’s like people who put “MBA” in their email signature.  I kind of feel the same way about “sommelier”.  In the trailer park, we just called it a know it all.  🙂

Zitsky, PMP, MBA 2008

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, arealcheapskate said:

In some countries that they dock at in Europe if you use someone's photo or video especially without consent / for commercial reasons they'll be in a lot of trouble. 

It’s funny how people don’t know that other countries have different rules.

Edited by zitsky

44 minutes ago, arealcheapskate said:

In some countries that they dock at in Europe if you use someone's photo or video especially without consent / for commercial reasons they'll be in a lot of trouble. 

how can you control if it is just a wide angle of outdoor scenes?  I mean who would go around and ask for everyones permission.  

I know most of the You tubers try to avoid people up close but then I will see a walkout video and folks are walking towards the camera.   There seems to be more and more You Tubers these days and they do more than just take photos.  They offer other services to the public if you get my drift.  

23 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

A top YTer

Most, (not all) of the TOP YouTuber's have become nothing more but click bait headlines and useless self gratifying content.

When you have a few hundred thousand subscribers, in my opinion their focus tends to lean towards $$ and self-gratification.

• Like 1