Alaska dress code for restaurants Sapphire Princess

piper

I wear dockers, a polo shirt and boat shoes when going to dinner in the MDR. On formal nights, I wear a long sleeve dress shirt with a tie. My DW wears what she wants, but always looks nice. But I will also say if you search through the Princess threads, you will find a bunch of them where this subject is discussed in much more detail.

10 hours ago, piper said:

Is the dining room dress code way more relaxed on Alaska cruises? Guidelines?

thanks!

The dress code is the same on all itineraries, but in my experience fewer people choose to dress according to the formal night dress code on Alaska sailings than they do on some other itineraries like Europe. The dress code is here https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

When this thread reaches 100+, I believe you will find that most folks who post will advise you to dress comfortably, however you define this. 

Of course, the fashion police will work very hard to dissuade you of this notion. 

At the end of the day..........purely your choice. 

• Like 3

Third dress code thread in a week. Must be a record.

Since you, piper, post on Azamara's board, you must know their dress code. Do that and you will be fine, if you want to, you can take it up a notch with a jacket and tie, you won't be alone if you do.

Also, just as on Azamara, shorts and ball caps are not welcome.

Edited by mtnesterz

There is no dress code but there is a suggested dress for each evening. Comfort is everything.I don't care to pack two suitcases so don't get formal. With the bulk of jackets and hats and gloves my suitcase is full enough.

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the helpful comments. The others, well……

The reason I asked the question was that my SIL said NCL’s dress code was much more relaxed on the Alaska cruise and I was wondering if it was the same on Princess. Sorry if I offended those of you who decided to be critical of the question 

31 minutes ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Sure they are. Well, perhaps not to those mired in the last century but today’s reality says otherwise. 

Maybe my wording wasn't clear. Since piper has sailed Azamara, presumably familiar with their policies, I was comparing the two written policies, not what the story really is onboard. Personally, I ditched my tux years ago and prefer travelling light.

I've witnessed that Princess is capricious in enforcing their policies. Some are admitted to the MDR in shorts, but I've seen the look on someone's face refused at the MDR for wearing shorts and a cap. Because of that, I won't advise someone it's OK to do something, then if refused they are (potentially) embarrassed.

31 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

And Princess' posted sign says otherwise:

Cruise Dining Attire Request-Small.jpg

This picture is ancient history and has been used over and over to support a very formal suggested dress code by certain CC members.  

My belief is that is was not posted by Princess but put there by some passenger to make it look like it is an official Princess policy.  

It is just off a printer and not professionally printed which Princess usually does with most of

their announcements on their ships.  They actually have a print shop on board and this work is not consistent with a professional print shop.  It is anonymous too.  Nice try though!

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, piper said:

thanks!

The Alaska Princess cruises we hav been on the dress in the MDR's has been much more casual then on other Princess cruises.  Almost Lumber Jack/Jill chic.  I would say leave the very formal attire at home if you are not motivated to dress to the nines.  Most people do not on the cruises we have been on.

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

This picture is ancient history and has been used over and over to support a very formal suggested dress code by certain CC members.  

My belief is that is was not posted by Princess but put there by some passenger to make it look like it is an official Princess policy.  

It is just off a printer and not professionally printed which Princess usually does with most of

their announcements on their ships.  They actually have a print shop on board and this work is not consistent with a professional print shop.  It is anonymous too.  Nice try though!

If I had a nickel for every time, I’ve seen that used up sign posted here, I could afford another cruise!

Just another example of the old guard, trying to make us believe that what once was has even the tiniest bit of relevance today.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

At least if the poster was trying to influence someone to dress up they might use a more current photo. This shot was from years ago. Today thy don't even have a sign at the DR doors any longer and leave it up to individuals to select their own style of clothing. 

To answer the original question, yes - Alaska is usually less formal since people usually bring heaver sweaters & rain gear which limits the amount of space dedicated for formal clothing. 

• Like 2

On 3/30/2023 at 10:23 PM, piper said:

thanks!

Even on our Alaskan cruise which were many years ago, the dress code was always more relaxed. I suspect that today it's even more so considering what the airlines are now charging for the extra baggage. 

• Like 1