Our Journey on the Journey to West Africa - Anyway we Wanted it, But didn't Stop Believing

SailorJack

On 5/29/2023 at 7:28 AM, Yorkvillain said:

There are cruise reviews and there are SailorJack cruise reviews. Fantastic as always.

At some point I am going to go back and re-read all of these classics. 

Good to hear from you again. Enjoy your upcoming cruise next month - Vision of the Seas, I think?

Jack

On 6/3/2023 at 9:02 AM, SailorJack said:

Good to hear from you again. Enjoy your upcoming cruise next month - Vision of the Seas, I think?

Jack

Thanks Jack. Yup, Vision this Thursday, assuming I survive these next 3 days of work. 

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite review of all time is the Norwegian Dream (The dream?  Or the nightmare? (Or why I may give up cruising?) and I have shared it with many.  While I realized, to my disappointment, that there was not one single car dumped into the ocean in this one and with echoes of "Don't Cry For me Argentina" in my head, your descriptions of perfume ingredients and of course the wild Valris were priceless!  Please never stop writing reviews.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 5:47 PM, Kallen said:

My favourite review of all time is the Norwegian Dream (The dream?  Or the nightmare? (Or why I may give up cruising?) and I have shared it with many.  While I realized, to my disappointment, that there was not one single car dumped into the ocean in this one and with echoes of "Don't Cry For me Argentina" in my head, your descriptions of perfume ingredients and of course the wild Valris were priceless!  Please never stop writing reviews.

Thanks! I wrote the Dream review back in 2007 and it is one of my favorites. I had a good time with it. Glad you enjoyed this one.🙂

• Like 1

unfortunately the west africa trip last march will likely not be repeated as the trip to angola was met with hostility and the trip to ivory coast included outright extortion.  we consider ourselves  fortunate to have survived and enjoyed as well…their new itinerary steers far away from those countries and has way too many sea days for us….just my personal opinion, attacks are unnecessary.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gowilk said:

unfortunately the west africa trip last march will likely not be repeated as the trip to angola was met with hostility and the trip to ivory coast included outright extortion.  we consider ourselves  fortunate to have survived and enjoyed as well…their new itinerary steers far away from those countries and has way too many sea days for us….just my personal opinion, attacks are unnecessary.

Interestingly, our experience this past March was very different. Probably at least partly down to luck.

We only did ship’s excursions in Angola, Namibia, Ghana, and The Gambia. Yes, we were accompanied everywhere in Luanda by armed guards (and an ambulance!), but we didn’t feel any overt hostility. We met some some very sweet and giggly school kids at the Agostinho Neto Mausoleum. We thought the visit to the Fortaleza de São Miguel was too long, but it would have been a shame to miss the Portuguese tiles with crocodiles and ostriches.  The highlight of the day was the tour of the beautiful National Assembly building, and our guide seemed very pleased and proud to show it to us.

In Ghana we did the very moving tour of the slave forts, and had some good local food. In The Gambia we opted for a fairly gentle tour of local highlights with visits to see crocodiles, monkeys, baobab trees and lunch at a local restaurant. When we saw the ferry used to take people to Senegal for a game drive, and heard the stories as they returned, we were really happy with the day we had instead.

We didn’t fancy any of the Ivory Coast excursions, so we took a short walk around the fairly gritty dock area in order to say that we’d actually set feet on the ground there. Probably a very good call, from the sound of your experiences! 

I’m not sure that I’d do it again, but I’m really happy that we did it once. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your lovely review! You describe some ports which are not common for cruisers and which I would like to visit. A friend of mine from Angola said that  not only cruise ships are not welcomed (and she things this is good so) but on some cruise a passenger apparently died and they are blaming the health institution in Luanda for not reacting rapidly to avoid this situation. 

Anyhow, I would love to stop in Angola in a cruise ship and to dance (ok see other people dancing) Kizomba.

Ivi

On 6/21/2023 at 5:54 AM, lisiamc said:

Every time I scroll past this review, I get Don’t Stop Believing stuck in my head. Fabulous review, which I very much enjoyed. I may have to hate you just a little bit for the ear worm, though.

LOL😄 Sorry about that! 

However, I think that the Journey song was one of the best to come out of the 80's. If you have to have an ear worm you do worse.😀

Jack

On 6/22/2023 at 7:12 AM, gowilk said:

We didn't incur some of the problems that confronted you, but in our discussions aboard the ship we concluded that the major problem of that particular itinerary was that West Africa was just not tourist oriented. Now that could be a good thing or a bad on. On the positive side, we did not see a single t-shirt shop in any of the ports!  Compare that to the Caribbean. Also prices were extremely low.  In one port we rented a taxi for $20 an hour. 

On the other hand there was very little infrastructure to support tourism. In one port we could not find any taxis or tour groups.  We finally went to a hotel and had the concierge call someone to drive us around. The resultant response was a 25 year old car with a driver who spoke very little English. But we had a good time with him! 

It will be interesting to see what happens in these ports in a few years.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 11:57 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Diamonds International.  Let's hope not...

OMG... I had not thought of that!  Then could Senor Frogs, Columbia Emeralds, and Carlos n Charlie be far behind!😄

• Haha 2

Thanks for the humorous tale and honest review. That said, I’ve only read reviews that have nothing but praise for ports in Africa and would do it again. However, the ports you described are probably as reported, not the run of the mill. 

We were booked on HAL’s Grand Africa, but canceled due to rampant Covid in the ports. Your story was fun to read but is a reminder that our world has different values and cultures that may not always align with gawking tourists. My Irish cousin in law feels in her hometown, she is viewed as a curiosity. 

Love your Mark Twain style.

On 7/7/2023 at 7:19 PM, rtdiva said:

Thanks for the humorous tale and honest review. That said, I’ve only read reviews that have nothing but praise for ports in Africa and would do it again. However, the ports you described are probably as reported, not the run of the mill. 

We were booked on HAL’s Grand Africa, but canceled due to rampant Covid in the ports. Your story was fun to read but is a reminder that our world has different values and cultures that may not always align with gawking tourists. My Irish cousin in law feels in her hometown, she is viewed as a curiosity. 

Love your Mark Twain style.

Thanks for your comments.😀 As I mentioned in the review, the west Africa ports are new to tourism and have not yet developed the infrastructure. Capetown, however, was a great port as were all the ones in the Canary Islands. 

3 hours ago, SailorJack said:

Thanks for your comments.😀 As I mentioned in the review, the west Africa ports are new to tourism and have not yet developed the infrastructure. Capetown, however, was a great port as were all the ones in the Canary Islands. 

Question…what do you suggest to do in the islands.please? We are with teenagers and adults..11 of us. Do I need private guides 

On 7/13/2023 at 12:41 PM, abc1234 said:

Question…what do you suggest to do in the islands.please? We are with teenagers and adults..11 of us. Do I need private guides 

I don't know how much I can help with this as we didn't travel with kids on this trip. However, unless you plan on leaving the port towns I don't think you need private guides. We toured on the cheap. In one town we googled free walking tours. Our guide was a delightful lady who had lived in town her entire life and led our group of 8 on a three hour tour of the spots most tourists will miss - while also pointing out the best bakeries and gift shops where the locals shopped. The only cost of the tour was the tip we gave the guide.  In another port we took a HOHO bus and enjoyed the sights of the town.  The bus left from a stop next to a three story mall and we spent time in there while waiting for the bus. The mall and the bus stop were about a 10 minute walk from the ship. 

You can also look at the ship tours and see if anything is of interest to your teenagers. No matter what you do I think you will enjoy the islands.

Jack

• 4 weeks later...

After not being on this site for 3 years, the only thing I could think about was "I wonder if SailorJack has written any reviews?".  I certainly wasn't disappointed.  Thank you for always making me laugh and bringing us all along on your adventures.

Sorry fat fingers pressed wrong buttons. Sailor Jack, on another post, the cruise down to Cape Town in November 23, a lot of people are very concerned about the situation concerning the yellow fever vaccine. I have had mine many years ago and am arranging an exemption certificate. Howevever I read on another post some others are cancelling as they are worried. Is it possible that you could re-assure them by explaining what happened about it on your cruise. Many thanks for your artcle about Africa have travelled there for many years, of course its old basic ways was much of its charm. I well remember with fondness and rose coloured glasses the old Cape Town waterfront with its old corrugated iron restaurants. However the new Waterfront is a thriving complex with lovely restaurants.

55 minutes ago, The Salties said:

Sorry fat fingers pressed wrong buttons. Sailor Jack, on another post, the cruise down to Cape Town in November 23, a lot of people are very concerned about the situation concerning the yellow fever vaccine. I have had mine many years ago and am arranging an exemption certificate. Howevever I read on another post some others are cancelling as they are worried. Is it possible that you could re-assure them by explaining what happened about it on your cruise. Many thanks for your artcle about Africa have travelled there for many years, of course its old basic ways was much of its charm. I well remember with fondness and rose coloured glasses the old Cape Town waterfront with its old corrugated iron restaurants. However the new Waterfront is a thriving complex with lovely restaurants.

You don’t need to worry about an exemption certificate, Although when you (and we) had the yellow fever vaccine it was one that was said to last 10 years it is now valid for life, so you’re good to go as long as you have your certificate. https://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/advice/disease-prevention-advice/yellow-fever-vaccine#:~:text=One dose of yellow fever,while pregnant

Grandma cruising, I appreciate and agree with what you say. However if you go the South Africa web page as suggested by another post, their web page stipulates if your vaccination was more than 10 years ago they require an exemption certificate. I appreciate the WHO say the vaccine is for life but these countries are allowed to make their own rules. The chances are that they will not even check but you never know. If a border officer in any country is having "a bad day at the office" progress can be difficult. Also bear in mind this cruise is visiting countries within the "yellow fever corridor"

5 minutes ago, The Salties said:

Grandma cruising, I appreciate and agree with what you say. However if you go the South Africa web page as suggested by another post, their web page stipulates if your vaccination was more than 10 years ago they require an exemption certificate. I appreciate the WHO say the vaccine is for life but these countries are allowed to make their own rules. The chances are that they will not even check but you never know. If a border officer in any country is having "a bad day at the office" progress can be difficult. Also bear in mind this cruise is visiting countries within the "yellow fever corridor"

Ah, hadn’t looked at that as we’re doing the cruise the other way on, so no issues for South Africa. Maybe I need to look more closely at Senegal’s requirements. 

We should be sailing back as well on your cruise. Christmas in the sunshine is always nice. If you do need an exemption certificate go onto yellow fever web page and check out your nearest vaccine centre. Mine is a chemist 3 miles away and I spoke to him on the phone and will make an appointment nearer the time. I hope this helps.

4 minutes ago, The Salties said:

We should be sailing back as well on your cruise. Christmas in the sunshine is always nice. If you do need an exemption certificate go onto yellow fever web page and check out your nearest vaccine centre. Mine is a chemist 3 miles away and I spoke to him on the phone and will make an appointment nearer the time. I hope this helps.

Thanks for that information.

Can you let me have the link for the South Africa page on which you saw the need for an exemption certificate if your vaccination is over 10 years ago. I couldn’t find it and the S. Africa govt page I found just said Yellow Fever Certificate.