Carnival Stock Purchase

trummy

I am considering buying some Carnival Stock. This is something I have never done. I do not know what to do. What is a good company to go through to do this. I need advise on how to handle this. Any help is appreciated.

Make an account with a brokerage - TD Ameritrade, Charles Schwab, Fidelity, maybe your bank, whoever, and buy the stock.

Make sure you know what you're getting in to. Are you prepared to lose every dime you invest the day after you buy the stock (absolutely nothing is guaranteed with investing)? Do you understand the tax implications of investing? etc etc...

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Schwab bought TD Ameritrade, so if considering TD, just go with Schwab.

Don't worry about fear mongers, especially on cruise internet boards.

Why are you considering buying CCL?

We cruise enough that the OBC would pay for it. Plus, I feel the economy will eventually come back and the cruise line will recover, so why not be along for the ride? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, trummy said:

We cruise enough that the OBC would pay for it. Plus, I feel the economy will eventually come back and the cruise line will recover, so why not be along for the ride? 

Sounds like a plan to me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nhraformula00 said:

I bought 300 shares 3 years ago and it is basically at the same price as when I bought it. I should have sold it when it hit $ 20 a share 2 years ago.

Hindsight is 20/20 as they say...

15 hours ago, Squirreladd said:

I recently got shares from Robinhood. Could I use those shares for the OBC or do I need to go to one of the normal brokerages?

I've used my Robinhood shares twice just fine. You just need to get your most recent statement and redact anything they don't need to see on it and send it in.

Make sure you understand what you are investing in.  Carnival is a poorly performing stock right now with a hard road ahead.  Nothing is guaranteed at this point.  If you are okay with putting $1000 into a risky stock that could lose everything to hopefully get OBC then go for it.  If you are looking to put $1000 out as an investment there are much better options.

• Like 2

Carnival stock is down 84.27% in the last five years.

In that period --- to the day --- Walmart stock is up 70%, Costco is up 170%, and Microsoft is up 220%.

With $1000 invested on April1st, 2018, your current holdings would be worth the following:

Walmart     1701

Costco       2701

Microsoft    3195

Carnival       157

On what basis have you determined that CCL is a good place to invest your capital?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Arizona Sunshine said:

Carnival stock is down 84.27% in the last five years.

In that period --- to the day --- Walmart stock is up 70%, Costco is up 170%, and Microsoft is up 220%.

With $1000 invested on April1st, 2018, your current holdings would be worth the following:

Walmart     1701

Costco       2701

Microsoft    3195

Carnival       157

On what basis have you determined that CCL is a good place to invest your capital?

Certainly better than Bed Bath and Beyond, Sears, JC Penney, ToysRUs, etc.

I have received several times that $1000 in shareholder OBC from CCL over the past 5 years.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Certainly better than Bed Bath and Beyond, Sears, JC Penney, ToysRUs, etc.

Yes --- a reminder that most individual investors don't have the skill set to pick individual stocks, and should be in balanced mutual funds and ETFs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I have received several times that $1000 in shareholder OBC from CCL over the past 5 years.

It's early and I'm still on my first cup of coffee, but let's do the math on a traditional 7 day cruise experience.

You claim you have received several times the $1,000 investment. That means over the last 5 years you cruised 30 times earning $3,000 shareholder credit.

Given that CCL was locked down for 18 months, that means you cruised, on average, 8 times a year for the 3.5 years that ships have sailed.Those figures change slightly with longer cruises which offer $250 OBC, but that still means you are likely cruising significantly more frequently than Johnny public.

For an average family who cruises once a year: In the last 5 years they likely  earned $400 OBC giving their $1,000 investment a grand total worth of $557 ($400 obc plus today's value of $157). In other words, a family who cruises once a year only lost 50% of their $1,000 investment as opposed to  a whopping 84% :). 

Simply put, In order to break even on a $1,000 investment made 5 years ago, one would have had earn approximately $900 in OBC. Doable. In order to earn 'several times' that initial investment one would have had to earn $3,000 in OBC. Still doable, but not likely for Johnny Public.

But (and this is a big but).... this stock has performed much worse than that because we can not negate that 5 years ago the cost of a share was $64. That means that a passenger invested $6,400 in order to qualify for OBC. That $6,400 investment is worth about $1,000 today. Since they lost $5,400 dollars over 5 years, they needed to take 54 seven-day cruises (378 days at sea) in the last 3.5 years (because ships were shut down for 18 months). All this just to break even on a stock purchase made 5 years ago for shareholder OBC.

For most people, even considering OBC, this stock has been a huge loser over 5 years time. Not the fault of CCL and maybe not quite as bad as sears, but it's not a whole lot better.

It's disingenuous to suggest that over 5 years time you have made up for the stock loss in OBC.

Important to also note that a $1,000 investment today would yield a 10% gain in shareholder OBC (25% if you are sailing a longer cruise). There is nothing in the rules saying how long one must actually own the stock to collect shareholder OBC. In/Out may make sense. Of course, anyone who takes stock advice on CC is a fool 🙂  

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

On 4/1/2023 at 6:11 PM, trummy said:

I am considering buying some Carnival Stock. This is something I have never done. I do not know what to do. What is a good company to go through to do this. I need advise on how to handle this. Any help is appreciated.

Hi trummy!

As often happens here, your simple question has turned into a major "what is the meaning of life" level thing.

The simple answer is that buying 100 shares of Carnival stock (symbol CCL) is easy but a bit tedious. A hundred shares as of Friday's close would cost you about $1,015 bucks and if you are looking to buy just for the shareholder OBC it us not an unreasonable thing to do, recognizing the price of the stock may eventually go to zero but hoping to get at least eleven shareholder OBCs before that happens and maybe even someday making money on the stock.

The first step is to establish an account with a broker who can buy the shares off one of the stock exchanges for you. Any stock broker can do that but these days a number of them will do it without charging you a commission. I have accounts at Morgan Stanley for my investment accounts, but they charge commissions. I also have an account at TD Ameritrade for my short term trading since they do not charge commissions.

So search for TD Ameritrade or other such "discount" broker on-line and go to their site and click on "open an account." Then when they ask what kind of account you can pick "individual" if the account will be in your name only or "joint tenant" if you want it to be jointly owned with another, such as your wife. Then just follow the prompts.

Once your account is established you will need to put money into it to cover the cost of the stock you buy. To do that log into your new account and search for "Deposits" or "Transfers" or something similar. On TD Ameritrade you just click on "My Account" at the top then click on "Deposits" in the sub-menu and they will tell you about all the options. The easiest is "ACH" and once you have that set up transferring funds from your bank account to your stock account or from your stock account to your bank account is really easy.

If all you want to do is buy 100 shares of CCL then check the current price of CCL, multiply by 100 then transfer about ten percent more than that from your bank to your stock account. The ten percent extra is because it may be a day or two before your broker gets the funds from the bank and the price of the stock will be different by then.

Once your funds have arrived in your stock account check that the amount will cover the cost of 100 shares and if it will then go to the "trade" section of the web site and pick "stocks" as what you want to trade. You will enter "buy" for the action, 100 for the quantity, CCL for the stock symbol, pick "market" for order type and "day" for the time in force. Then you hit "review order" or "next" or whatever your broker calls the next step. After reviewing the information to make sure the everything is right, especially how much it will cost, just hit enter. If you did all this while the market was open then in a few seconds you will get confirmation of what you bought and the cost. If you did this after the market closed the stock will be bought at market open the next day (or next trading day if it was after the market closed Friday).

The cost of the stock should have been less than the funds you put into your stock account. If you want you can ACH the excess funds back to your bank account.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Four 14 day cruises can get you $1000 in OBC and often b2b cruises can work the same. Longer cruises often cost less per day than shorter cruises, can be more interesting, and have fewer kids.

Nothing says you have to hold the stock forever; you can buy and sell as often as you like, subject to things like wash sales, etc.

Whoever owns the stock has to be an occupant in the cabin that gets the OBC.

• Like 1

Hello, I have been viewing this tread and trying to find out more about onboard cruise credits for shareholders.  Is there anywhere this program is spelled out on the Carnival website?  Does it work on HAL also? Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, P&PNH said:

Hello, I have been viewing this tread and trying to find out more about onboard cruise credits for shareholders.  Is there anywhere this program is spelled out on the Carnival website?  Does it work on HAL also? Thanks for your help.

Yes, you can use it for all Carnival Corp brands...

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f

• Thanks 1