Carnival Stock Purchase

trummy

Glad to have found this post. I just bought 21 shares on Etrade this morning. Not a big gambler and if I lose $200, I am okay with that. I bought it for the purposes of OBC and figure it will pay itself back in a few years. And check that out! I earned $4 by the end of the day. 

Have fun! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YouGoAngel said:

Glad to have found this post. I just bought 21 shares on Etrade this morning. Not a big gambler and if I lose $200, I am okay with that. I bought it for the purposes of OBC and figure it will pay itself back in a few years. And check that out! I earned $4 by the end of the day. 

Have fun! 

so I'm guessing you already had 79 shares?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YouGoAngel said:

Have fun! 

Do own only 21 shares?  You must own at least 100 shares to get the Shareholder Benefits (OBC).

6 hours ago, bowlinmoe said:

The current share price is down to $9.075.  100 shares would be $907.50.  Getting the $100 credit (assuming 7 day cruise) is a guaranteed return of over 10%.

Great time to buy.

Of course, the "return" is a factor of the stock price. If the stock price stays at 9.075 for the next year, the "return" would indeed be just over 10% (provided that the shareholder took an eligible cruise and qualified for $100 in onboard credit).

How likely is that? Well:

The stock is down 3.5% today.

The stock is down 8% in the past week.

the stock is down 53% in the past year.

The stock is down 86% in the past five years.

So, as long as all the things that worried investors today, last week, last year, and since 2018 can be fixed by management --- while dealing with $35 billion in debt, the most recent of which carries an interest rate of 10.75 %--- I guess it's a "great time to buy".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Arizona Sunshine said:

Of course, the "return" is a factor of the stock price. If the stock price stays at 9.075 for the next year, the "return" would indeed be just over 10% (provided that the shareholder took an eligible cruise and qualified for $100 in onboard credit).

So, as long as all the things that worried investors today, last week, last year, and since 2018 can be fixed by management --- while dealing with $35 billion in debt, the most recent of which carries an interest rate of 10.75 %--- I guess it's a "great time to buy".

So I take it you're not very optimistic on the future of the stock...

That being said, your analysis doesn't include that you can get the on board credit multiple times in the same year if you take multiple cruises.  AND you can sell the stock right after your cruise if you like. It's not like you have to hold it for certain period of time. I recently bought for my May cruise.  I could sell at the end of May and be done with it if I choose.

2 hours ago, bowlinmoe said:

That being said, your analysis doesn't include that you can get the on board credit multiple times in the same year if you take multiple cruises.  AND you can sell the stock right after your cruise if you like. It's not like you have to hold it for certain period of time. I recently bought for my May cruise.  I could sell at the end of May and be done with it if I choose.

I was responding to your analysis.

And, certainly, you can continually buy and sell the stock just to hold it over the required period. You can also sell your plasma or attend timeshare presentations as a way to make $100. None of the three holds much appeal to me --- nor, I suspect, to you, as you note only that you "could" sell at the end of May, not that you "will".

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Arizona Sunshine said:

Stop with your math and such.....lol😂  If you are not a cheerleader quite a few in here will put you in their sights.

• Haha 2

I'm not sure if you're allowed to post links here but FWIW, when you look up the Carnival ticker symbol on MSN money, they have it listed as a BUY based on 21 analysts.  The twelve month price target is $11.93/share. 

3 minutes ago, bowlinmoe said:

I'm not sure if you're allowed to post links here but FWIW, when you look up the Carnival ticker symbol on MSN money, they have it listed as a BUY based on 21 analysts.  The twelve month price target is $11.93/share. 

Will any of those analysts make up the difference if that proves to not come to pass?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Will any of those analysts make up the difference if that proves to not come to pass?

Will any certified financial planner make up the difference if the portfolio they put together for you dropped in value?

Maybe Elon Musk can send us money if we invest in Tesla and it drops?

C'mon.

12 minutes ago, bowlinmoe said:

Will any certified financial planner make up the difference if the portfolio they put together for you dropped in value?

Our financial planner would lose at least 1 client if they were recommending the purchase of cruise stocks.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 4:04 PM, lasekeye said:

FYI..we bought our stock last night & the BUY went thru this AM.  Mid morning today I sent in 3 separate requests for 3 sailings (1 email May have been fine)….in less than 4 hours our shareholder OBC benefits are approved!

Purchasing the stock for OBC is a good idea but purchasing the right stock RCL (Royal Caribbean) would have given you a better return. Purchase RCL 7/2022 at $35 a share and it's at $65 a share now, that's roughly 84% return. That said I did make a minimal purchase of 100 shares of CCL for the OBC.

On 4/25/2023 at 6:28 PM, Arizona Sunshine said:

I was responding to your analysis.

And, certainly, you can continually buy and sell the stock just to hold it over the required period. You can also sell your plasma or attend timeshare presentations as a way to make $100. None of the three holds much appeal to me.... 

This analogy made me laugh.   You can buy and sell stocks in an online account in a couple of minutes from the comfort of your living room.  Hardly the equivalent hassle of venturing out to sell plasma or subjecting yourself to a  timeshare presentation.

Edited by Petersonfcu
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Arizona Sunshine said:

"When people laugh at me, they are not laughing in the way that they normally would at a comedian. They are laughing with relief, because the truth has been spoken."

Being delusional can also have its benefits  😉

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Some movement on from the monkeys at the dartboard.

Buckle up........ it's going to be a wild ride for the next several weeks:

image.png.1263e0d28bb017cb1cc617bab3e72f82.png

Who cares? My 100 shares cost me $800. I'm with the Holds. But it does remind me to apply for $500 of OBC for my next 2 cruises.