Four day cruise from Southampton

The Med

We haven’t cruised on Princess for 15 years, we’ve mainly cruised with Celebrity.

However we’re now looking to give Princess another try and we’ve seen a four day cruise on Sky going in a few weeks time.

We initially thought that a few days away would give us an idea of the ship and the brand but we’ve since heard it described as a booze cruise which we don’t particularly like the sound of.

Will it give us a good idea of Princess or will it be a different experience than usual? 
Is there a different clientele going on the shorter cruises? 

We just want a quiet few days away, nice food, try out the theatre and entertainment, we’d rather not be surrounded by stag and hen parties.

I think you will find most of the guests will be fellow Brits.  Few people are going to travel to the UK for a four day cruise, unless they come from the continent.  We were a slight exception in 2013, as  we arrived in Harwich on Infinity (after 27 days), spent two days in London , then taking a four day cruise on Cunard QE to Bruges and Guernsey.  But then we were immediately on a plane to Venice for 12 days on Silhouette.  But on our Cunard cruise there were few non-Brits.  And most took the opportunity to dress up for dinner, even on the non-formal nights.  EM

Thank you, we expected it to be mainly Brits, but we don’t mind which nationality, we love to mix with different groups of people.

We have previously done a 3 day Cunard which we loved and a 3 day

P and O which we didn’t like at all (although we usually like P & 0.).

We just wondered if anyone had the experience of a 4 day Princess?

It was the words “booze cruise” that put us off, we just want to experience Princess in its normality, we don’t particularly want it to be full of people who are only on it to get drunk and be loud.

I do tend to overthink things. 

We are on Sky at the moment, and the four day cruise follows our cruise. Sky then goes into dry dock.

Personally, I don't think any four day cruise gives you a representative view of the cruise line. People try to make the most of their time onboard,  rightly so, and therefore everywhere is busier than would normally be the case.

So, by all means book the cruise, if you want to find out if you like the amenities on board, but the onboard "experience" is totally different from a 14 day cruise. 

• Like 3

This is why we stopped going to all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean; too many loud mouthed drunks.  Now that cruise lines are including drinks if passengers choose their all-inclusive package (a limit of 15 drinks a day!) I fear the same thing might happen.  

2 hours ago, Senga said:

This is why we stopped going to all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean; too many loud mouthed drunks.  Now that cruise lines are including drinks if passengers choose their all-inclusive package (a limit of 15 drinks a day!) I fear the same thing might happen.  

Yes this exactly.

We’re still debating. 

2 hours ago, Senga said:

Well, we are on a cruise at the monent,  where lots of pax have a package, and we have seen no issues.

On four day cruises, people push the limit, but not on longer cruises. Your fears are unfounded.

My Wife and I are on this cruise and have taken the Premier package, whilst we might enjoy a few glasses of Champagne and the odd Cocktail I will not be overjoyed if the ship is over-run with Stag and Hen parties. I would be surprised if it that is the case though as there are much cheaper short cruises out of Southampton over the coming weeks, particularly with P&O. 

I'm on this cruise as a bit of a taster for Princess too. It is correct that it can be difficult to get a true feeling for a line from a short cruise, but I'm hoping to see how the food, service and style of entertainment/activities compares. There is a 'group' for the cruise on the other site which you could check out to get an idea of passengers and their expectations. From what I can tell I wouldn't say it seems like it is going to be a 'booze cruise', or not in the traditional sense anyway. More so there seem to be couples similarly trying Princess for the first time, others using it as an easy way to check out the tulips and a few families/grandparents taking their children. I guess if there are any 'stag and hen' party types they might not hang out in internet forums however 😂

Edited by South_Coast_Cruiser

I wouldn't describe the average Princess cruiser as falling into the "booze cruiser" demographic. 

I got the impression many of last year's equivalent cruise was full of passengers wanting a short break while avoiding the chaos at airports still recovering from covid restrictions. Similarly this one gives the opportunity of a break avoiding airport strike chaos. 

Edited by CrazyLlama
  • Like 1

We've done quite a number of short Princess cruises out of Southampton. The only issue we have encountered is finding a seat because our lovely foggy or cool weather means everyone gathers in the Piazza and the bars inside!  I recall chatting to a Food and Beverage manager pre-pandemic who mentioned that the crew had it keep the bars open later to cater for Brits but we have never found fellow guests to be that rowdy.

Edited by dides

We have cruised on Princess 7 times and I have NEVER heard of Princess referred to as a "booze cruise"., nor habe experienced this. Carnival, and RC- yes. (which we do not cruise on)

Believe me, if Princess was a booze cruise, we would never have sailed on this line or returned. So... Maybe a 4 nighter is more of a party atmosphere? I would not know. 

Sorry; no hairy leg contests, no rock climbing walls, no water slides...

I think my advice would be to book a balcony or higher as it will likely be busier as people try and cram in as much as they can on shorter cruises. Then you can escape if it gets a bit too hectic.  I have done one on RCL and didn't remember it as being rough and ready. I'm not sure it was relaxing as a long cruise as it wasn't long enough to enjoy being at sea but I would do it again if the dates fitted my work schedule and annual leave.