Highest Prices We Have Seen

mcrcruiser

11 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We are more cautious considering the condition of the national debt ,so instead of cruises we are adding more precious metals to our portfolio . Seems to me that is the wise thing to do with escalating prices  for every thing . With 70% of our population living from pay check to pay check what truly does the future hold for our country ?  We came from a generation of savers not spenders .Thus ,we have been through hard times most people have not

I would venture to guess that the majority of HAL cruisers and particularly those on this board are of the age where we have experienced hard times. I am also of the belief, and I am 100% positive on this, that you only live once. I want to enjoy that one life I have as much as I can. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ocean sounds said:

Sorry you canceled.  I understand, I was taken aback at the cost for my outside cabin, but it has a great itinerary with ports I hadn’t been to before.  Plus I’ve signed up for the conference speakers (Astronomers and Astronauts).  I decided that for me - I could justify the price for the unique itinerary, the Total eclipse at sea, and the Astronomy  conference. 

We’ll miss you!

Thanks .We will only miss the Eclipse part as we have been to all these ports more than once which when we discussed what we would be paying for a outside handicap EE category ,it made us think it was too much to pay & no balcony ;as this ship requires booking suites to get a balcony

Many people have yet to experience many Mexican Riviera ports & many are really wonderful to experience . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

The huge difference with cruise lines is you can usually get a price adjustment for price drops prior to full payment, and possibly onboard credit for price drops after final payment.  Try to get a fare adjustment on a non-refundable airline ticket...

However since Covid on many airlines you can cancel take the credit and buy the lower fare.

47 minutes ago, albingirl said:

And you know that for sure? Why be so negative and beating on about how bad it is? Now you are going to quit cruising and add precious metals to your portfolio? It's not for everybody, but good luck with that.

We are not quit cruising .We  have not quit cruising as we have a 18 night Hawaii cruise yet  to come which we booked at a excellent value cost.What is  ridiculous are the new current cruise prices for what the pax is now  getting in return . However ,each to their own  idea  of value 

We simply will wait until after the final payment dates to track  a cruise we may be interested  in booking ,if we can then get a cabin we can live with .

We certainly will be able to see what prices a Mexican Riviera cruise close to March 2024 while we are on Koningsdam Hawaii cruise Jan 30,2024 as a example .If we can get a great deal ,we would book it while on the ship & most likely get extra on board credits along with  a much lower booking price .This would make sense to us .since we no longer fly ,we are only interested in Mexico & Hawaii  from our home port of San Diego  which is 28 miles from out home .Makes it very convenient

Still opening prices are super high & not worth the value imo .  We have done over 90  past cruises ,so we can discriminate

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

I completely agree with the OP that prices are outrageous today!

Why, after the Pandemic of 1918 was over, in 1925 it only cost $2,000.00 (and up) for a four month world cruise.

https://open.library.ubc.ca/collections/chung/chungtext/items/1.0374383

That's about $40,000 in todays dollars. Can we still travel for four months on HAL today? Definitely!

5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I would characterize myself as more of a saver than a spender. I don't spend more than I'm comfortable with, but I'd rather sit on a deck chair than a pile of gold or palladium. 

After we got the kids through college we told them they are on their own and to not expect a big inheritance.  With any luck we'll slide in late for our own funeral and that last check will bounce. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

After we got the kids through college we told them they are on their own and to not expect a big inheritance.  With any luck we'll slide in late for our own funeral and that last check will bounce. 

I've often said slide in late with $10 left in the bank!

So you take SKI vacations--Spending Kids' Inheritance.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I've often said slide in late with $10 left in the bank!

So you take SKI vacations--Spending Kids' Inheritance.

You got that right.  And to their credit, with our expectations set as they were, the kids have been totally independent and never asked for help financially.  By saving and living below our means, we got them launched with no student loan debts and now it's our time to live it up. 

• Like 4

On 4/4/2023 at 6:48 AM, mcrcruiser said:

yup Carnival stock down again in early trading  April 4,2023 .shares now at $9.86  .Analysts are leery about CCL 

A bit too much debt for my taste, especially with interest rates on the rise.

Total Liabilities / Total Assets = 88.13%

17 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We are more cautious considering the condition of the national debt ,so instead of cruises we are adding more precious metals to our portfolio . Seems to me that is the wise thing to do with escalating prices  for every thing . With 70% of our population living from pay check to pay check what truly does the future hold for our country ?  We came from a generation of savers not spenders .Thus ,we have been through hard times most people have not

We bought a couple resale timeshares off Ebay and have roughly 2.5 weeks of travel for $2,000 per year. That can be stretched out to 4 weeks if we avoid weekends, go off peak season, or stay in studios.  We're focused on places like Sedona for local festivals, and Hawaii, where hotel rates start at $300 per night.  This is how we're reducing our cruising budget by 2/3, without reducing travel.

I bought gold in 2008, and sold it just past the peak in 2011.  We've recently jumped back in ourselves.  Can't say I've been through hard times, but I did watch my WWII Gen Grandparents.

Yep, I worked hard, I worked smart, I saved and I invested, I just retired,  I probably have less than 20 years left and I am not shorting myself now.   Phooey on that.  

Laissez les bons temps rouler

• Like 10

4 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

That's about $40,000 in todays dollars. Can we still travel for four months on HAL today? Definitely!

Curious how did you get to the $40,000  value from the $2000 for a world cruise in 1925  ? what formula did you use ?

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Yep, I worked hard, I worked smart, I saved and I invested, I just retired,  I probably have less than 20 years left and I am not shorting myself now.   Phooey on that.  

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Mary no one knows how much time they have left on this planet .we look back & we been retired 24 years now . We take one day at a time . Yes make the best use of what God gives to you & what He asks of all of us

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We bought a couple resale timeshares off Ebay and have roughly 2.5 weeks of travel for $2,000 per year. That can be stretched out to 4 weeks if we avoid weekends, go off peak season, or stay in studios.  We're focused on places like Sedona for local festivals, and Hawaii, where hotel rates start at $300 per night.  This is how we're reducing our cruising budget by 2/3, without reducing travel.

I bought gold in 2008, and sold it just past the peak in 2011.  We've recently jumped back in ourselves.  Can't say I've been through hard times, but I did watch my WWII Gen Grandparents.

That is interesting ,as we are now dissolving our  time share  with Marriott . The time frame according to a letter we received is to be out of the time share in 120 days closing .We no longer can make effective use .When you are young it is the next best thing to ice cream .Especially  going to foreign countries where time share trades are readily available

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Thanks .We will only miss the Eclipse part as we have been to all these ports more than once which when we discussed what we would be paying for a outside handicap EE category ,it made us think it was too much to pay & no balcony ;as this ship requires booking suites to get a balcony

Many people have yet to experience many Mexican Riviera ports & many are really wonderful to experience . 

It is because of the eclipse that is why the price is so high.  Unique event that generates considerable demand.  A bit like booking a hotel in the super bowl city the day before the game and wondering why the hotels are so expensive.

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Curious how did you get to the $40,000  value from the $2000 for a world cruise in 1925  ? what formula did you use ?

According to www.dollartimes.com, $2000 USD in 1925 is worth $34,381.71 today.  (I like the 71 cents part)

22 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

…..,. we are adding more precious metals to our portfolio . Seems to me that is the wise thing to do with escalating prices 

Sounds wise to me also. My REMX stock has doubled in less than 3 years. That profit buys a whole lotta cruising. 🙂 

That is interesting ,as we are now dissolving our  time share  with Marriott . The time frame according to a letter we received is to be out of the time share in 120 days closing .We no longer can make effective use .When you are young it is the next best thing to ice cream .Especially  going to foreign countries where time share trades are readily available

We went with Club Wyndham to save on maintenance fees, and to have advanced access in Sedona AZ and Kona HI.  The latter is an EOY that we intent to alternate with cruising, and ended up getting twice the points advertised.  This year we have 9 nights booked in AZ, 10 nights in FL, 6 nights in UT, with points left over that we had to shove into next year.  It is not for everyone, if you know what you are doing you can come out way ahead!

Mary no one knows how much time they have left on this planet .we look back & we been retired 24 years now . We take one day at a time . Yes make the best use of what God gives to you & what He asks of all of us

I am not going to spend my retirement wringing my hands in worry - that is what youth is for😁.  Pundits and economic experts worldwide will always tell us we live in the worst of times. Otherwise how would they get our attention 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

I really Do understand. It is pricey - I have an EE Oceanview also.

What attracted me to this itinerary are the combination of the Sea of Cortez ports, (Loreto, La Paz), along with the ports of Manzanillo, Huatulco and  Zihuatanejo.  These are all new to me.  And the added bonus of the Eclipse at sea. 

I considered canceling (several times) due to the cost, but being able to attend the Astronomy conference onboard helped seal the deal.  It’s a unique experience for me.  Had it just been a normal 14 day cruise, I may have passed on it.

We’ll miss you and your wife on our small roll call.  Hope to meet you on a cruise one day !

Edited by ocean sounds

12 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

On the flip side, we just added to our time share points with Hilton.  We have been working that system for almost 20 years and when coupled with the Hilton Honors program points, and the affiliated AmEx card points, we feel we have maximized our value.  We rarely pay for a hotel room anymore and our resort stays are booked with points.

They key, though, is to pay off the AmEx card every month and not pay any interest.

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I am not going to spend my retirement wringing my hands in worry - that is what youth is for😁.  Pundits and economic experts worldwide will always tell us we live in the worst of times. Otherwise how would they get our attention 

Very true - an oddly I think the OP of this thread knows that - jus look at the title (intended to lure people in yet again) and it worked - here it is - 6 pages in (yet the original post point was pretty much just dismissed by the majority os posters).

• Like 5

On 4/4/2023 at 1:12 AM, Boatdrill said:

I was curious about the deposit  requirement you were quoted by HAL, so I looked up the March 23, 2024 Koningsdam cruise on HAL's res system. 

These fares are for the VH's and include $135 tax. Club Orange not included. No extra charge for  handicap room. Refundable deposit. 

$1669 per person with Have It All

$1319 per person without Have It All 

Deposit: $700 total ($350 per person)

Why was your deposit nearly $3000 ?

The OP conveniently never responded to this post which questioned his original premise to begin with and was posted just a few hours later. It's always the same premise, turn up the heat-stir the soup-then leave it for others to clean up as it boils over.

Edited by Destiny0315
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1