Would you make this Club Class bid upgrade?

asingl

3 hours ago, memoak said:

If you are paying $100 per person per day you are paying too much 

6 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Not the way I see it, I'm paying $110 PP PD for the service and that's a lot of extra for the service. 

This was a question about a bid to upgrade.  That is a flat per person bid not per day so no $110  PP PD. If you don't see the value in club class that's fine, some of us have had long waits with dine my way or been sent to a different dining room then had longer wait times for dinner to be served.  If club class is an option and a reasonable price we would opt for it.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

It's $110 PP PD on the Diamond Princess.

I believe the upcharge is going towards the crew incentive

Just to clarify:  Club Class is an extra $220.00 per cabin PER DAY.  We don’t sail less than 12 days, so about $2600.00+ towards crew incentive?  I must have interpreted this incorrectly.

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

It's $110 PP PD on the Diamond Princess.

I believe the upcharge is going towards the crew incentive

Actually not.  Any upcharge is going to Princess and Carnival Corporation.  The crew depends on the vast portion of their earnings from tips and gratuities.  By reducing your gratuity, you are taking away from the crew which is working long hours to make your cruise enjoyable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Just to clarify:  Club Class is an extra $220.00 per cabin PER DAY.  We don’t sail less than 12 days, so about $2600.00+ towards crew incentive?  I must have interpreted this incorrectly.

This  is the May 24 Japan on the Diamond

Reserve Collection Mini-Suite

- Upgrade from $110 per day

A premium stateroom category featuring our best located Mini-Suite staterooms, as well as the great amenities found in all Mini-Suites — plus premier dining benefits and luxurious perks. Each night, enjoy Club Class Dining, an exclusive dining area featuring expedited seating with no wait, expanded menu options, dedicated wait staff and tableside preparations. Other amenities include priority embarkation and disembarkation, a complimentary one-time wine set-up and so much

This is a service charge which I believe is going to the crew in the club class dining room. The other perks are already there with the elite tier. 

Edited by cruzsnooze

4 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

A premium stateroom category featuring our best located Mini-Suite staterooms, as well as the great amenities found in all Mini-Suites — plus premier dining benefits and luxurious perks. Each night, enjoy Club Class Dining, an exclusive dining area featuring expedited seating with no wait, expanded menu options, dedicated wait staff and tableside preparations. Other amenities include priority embarkation and disembarkation, a complimentary one-time wine set-up and so much

This is a service charge which I believe is going to the crew in the club class dining room. The other perks are already there with the elite tier. 

If this upgrade charge covers only crew incentive, then it’s a hard no for us!  For a two week cruise this is $3100.00 US. ($4200.00 Canadian).  It boggles my mind! Who would pay this plus their cruise fare?  We will most definitely stay with a standard mini suite and some specialty restaurants with a nicer menu, no wait to be seated and elevated service.  

3 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Is this an upgrade from a regular mini or from a balcony or inside ? Most of the offers to bid on upgrades are way less than this. You can even go from a S6 suite to a S4 suite for virtually Penni’s a day

On 4/5/2023 at 4:03 AM, asingl said:

I am currently booked on a Mini-suite for a 17 Day transatlantic on the Island Princess. Received the opportunity to upgrade to club class for $205pp! Does the offer match a value of a 17-Day cruise? We have never experienced club class, and we received an exceptional deal on this room already. Thanks ahead of time for the input!

I understand the main perks are the dining and midship area! Just wanted to see if $205 seemed to be fair value for a 17 day cruise. 

We think it is. You'll not have to wait fore than a few min. for a table. The attention to detail is much better(wish I could say the food was) You get priority boarding. You'll be eating where the suite pax eat. The head waiter makes a "special" entree each night(not always better, though) The staff do go the extra mile to please. I think you'll be happy. In most cases it's now called "Reserve" rather than Club Class, but it's still the same.

5 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

This is the price to upgrade on a guaranteed basis when booking.  The OP started this thread in regards to BIDDING for an upgrade.  That process is a flat fee and not per day.  So both sides are technically correct.  One can purchase an upgraded cabin for a Per Day rate.  And if you do so, you are guaranteed of getting the better cabin.  OR, one can bid for an upgrade at a much lower amount that is a flat fee with no gurantee that their bid will be accepted.  Either way, neither pathway results in paying more for gratuities.  That would be like saying:  "I had an Interior.  But then I got my tax return and decided to get a Suite.  I called my CVP and secured one for $3,000 more per person for the entire cruise.  But naturally I am going to reduce my auto-tip because this new fare results in the crew already getting more tip money."  Apples and oranges.

As for the question posed by the OP:  That is a good rate.  But you have to consider what value you place on your current cabin and the increased perks.  I have the opportunity to bid for a CC Mini at close to the same price.  But I am currently in a Mid-Ship Mini with the largest extended balcony.  If I win my bid, I have no idea what cabin I will get.  It will be mid-ship, but a number of those have the small balconies.  Also, I already have Platinum boarding, so the early boarding privilege nets me nothing.  Truly, the only benefit I would get is in the MDR and those "extras" are not worth trading the largest extended balcony for a small balcony (at least for our family).  If someone could promise me that my CC cabin would have an extended balcony, I would do it.  But no such promise can be made.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I think you are way off!! Club Class is NOT $220 per day extra v/s a standard minisuite. Please give the facts to back that claim.

rbtan, I do not recall it being Lady Arwen who is asserting that the cost to upgrade to the Club Class (from which category, we do not know) was $110 per person per day.  I recall that it was CruiseSnooze who made that claim, and that Lady Arwen was simply questioning CuriseSnooze's assertion.  

• Thanks 1

I pulled up the Japan 2024 Diamond and I see where the CC upgrade is $106 pp pd.  I agree would also not pay over a few dollars per day for club class (which is now called Reserve Collection Mini-Suite) when frequently the cost for a full suite is not much more.  I think Princess is making a big mistake pricing them so much higher than a standard mini for very little added value.  BUT this is off TOPIC.

Edited by happy42cruise
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, rbtan said:

I think you are way off!! Club Class is NOT $220 per day extra v/s a standard minisuite. Please give the facts to back that claim.

Before you start to admonish me, please see post #30.  I was questioning those facts and asked for clarification.  I did not present any of this as fact!

12 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

rbtan, I do not recall it being Lady Arwen who is asserting that the cost to upgrade to the Club Class (from which category, we do not know) was $110 per person per day.  I recall that it was CruiseSnooze who made that claim, and that Lady Arwen was simply questioning CuriseSnooze's assertion.  

Thank you!  Folks need to read through a post thoroughly before getting all riled up. Apparently, you do and I appreciate you correcting that on my behalf. 

17 hours ago, memoak said:

Is this an upgrade from a regular mini or from a balcony or inside ? Most of the offers to bid on upgrades are way less than this. You can even go from a S6 suite to a S4 suite for virtually Penni’s a day

This is the price to book the cruise. It is for next year so no bidding yet. Just go to make a (dummy) booking on the Diamond for May 2024 and see the prices and you will see the reserve class is $110 PP PD. I made my booking in a regular Mini at this time and am waiting to see if the price drops. It's my belief the extra fee for reserve class covers the dining staff

On 4/6/2023 at 9:02 AM, stevenr597 said:

Actually not.  Any upcharge is going to Princess and Carnival Corporation.  The crew depends on the vast portion of their earnings from tips and gratuities.  By reducing your gratuity, you are taking away from the crew which is working long hours to make your cruise enjoyable. 

Getting out the popcorn...

How about we let each person decide what works for them for the gratuity (look up that definition) and not try to make every single one of these threads a battle? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

How about we let each person decide what works for them for the gratuity (look up that definition) and not try to make every single one of these threads a battle? 

Certainly the individual in question has to the right to decide what, and if he will leave a gratuity.  But when one posts his thoughts and ideas, he or she should not be surprised if one replies to their comments.

I believe that is the purpose of “The Boards” to have a free and fair expression of ideas.

I still stand behind my comment that many of the crew including your room stewards, and waiters depend upon gratuities or tips to provide them with income, much of which is often sent home to support their families in far-away countries.  

When one decides not to “tip”, one doesn’t really hurt the cruise lines, but rather the individuals who are working hard to make your trip enjoyable. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

Certainly the individual in question has to the right to decide what, and if he will leave a gratuity.  But when one posts his thoughts and ideas, he or she should not be surprised if one replies to their comments.

I believe that is the purpose of “The Boards” to have a free and fair expression of ideas.

I still stand behind my comment that many of the crew including your room stewards, and waiters depend upon gratuities or tips to provide them with income, much of which is often sent home to support their families in far-away countries.  

When one decides not to “tip”, one doesn’t really hurt the cruise lines, but rather the individuals who are working hard to make your trip enjoyable. 

Are we talking added tip or reducing the standard crew appreciation? We're in the hospitality field so we tip over & above. If pax wish to add more that is fine. Those who as they say "stiff the staff" will have to deal with those consequences after they pass. As to "The boards" to have free & fair expression. Well, we've seen plenty of censorship by the mods, so we take that platform with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Are we talking added tip or reducing the standard crew appreciation? We're in the hospitality field so we tip over & above. If pax wish to add more that is fine. Those who as they say "stiff the staff" will have to deal with those consequences after they pass. As to "The boards" to have free & fair expression. Well, we've seen plenty of censorship by the mods, so we take that platform with a grain of salt.

I believe that the individual is voicing an opinion that the up-charge for Club Class should be considered a gratuity for the crew and hence, one could then reduce the gratuity.  Sort of like saying if one trades up for a Suite the added up-charge could be viewed as a gratuity to the crew.

I do not believe that this is the case.  Up-charge  for Club Class, or for an elevation of class does not go to the crew, but rather to the cruise line.  The crew, depends on tipping for most of their salary. 

• Like 1

I don't know about the tip issue - but $110 a day per person for Club Class??  I suppose because you can't get one of those mini suites without the Club Class and before Club Class we paid extra to get those cabins as AA mini-suites so that would have to be calculated in...  I just checked and I'm paying $31 per person a day extra to have a premium balcony cabin instead of a regular balcony cabin on our Nov cruise - and they are identical cabins  What's even more interesting is on our Feb 2024 cruise on the same ship, in the same cabin we are paying $54 extra a day....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

When you say look up the word gratuity, just where do you stand on the issue? It looks rather obvious.    What makes these threads a battle(as you say) is when pax choose remove the auto gratuity.

On our very first cruise in 2004 on the QM2, we traveled with a large group. One couple(mother & son) bragged how they removed the tip. They were banned from dining at our table. They almost got kicked off the bus ride home. We were not involved in this. The trip organizer was furious with these people. We were friends of the organizer. They were a large group, all family related except us. After that we chose to only cruise ourselves. That being said we do truly despise those who remove the tip. Those who claim "We're giving to those we like" are full of it. Ever notice how empty the MDR's are last night? Some say it's people packing. Or is it those avoiding giving a few extra $ to the staff who worked hard for them. There are also long lines at guest services. Some may have billing questions. What are all the others there for? Listen in & you'll hear how many are trying to remove the auto tip. I'm glad most lines are starting to make it very hard to do that. For those who feel "Oh, it's too much extra money" or "It's NOT my job to pay the crew" Just stay home! If you choose to flame me, it will show who you are!

• Like 5

I’m a suite traveler, and the suggested gratuities are higher than those of a standard cabin. I’m happy to pay it because we get better service than a standard cabin. In addition, I usually tip extra in cash if service is above and beyond. I’ve also noticed the concierge service can be excellent and I always to make sure to tip that person as well. 

If one has a $110 PP PD upgrade I would expect that the base cabin would not be a mini suite. Club class, while nice, is not worth $110 per day.  The suggested gratuity may be higher in an upgraded cabin, so indeed some of the fee may go to the crew. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rbtan said:

When you say look up the word gratuity, just where do you stand on the issue? It looks rather obvious.    What makes these threads a battle(as you say) is when pax choose remove the auto gratuity.

No flame, just a difference of opinion.  You do you, and let others choose what works for them.

From Mirriam Webster:

: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service
especially : TIP
added a gratuity for the server

We almost always take it off and tip personally.  It's usually more than the automatics, but we decide to whom it goes.  In the past, we've usually used gift cards, at the initial suggestion of a steward who said he didn't have to turn them in.  It would appear from the comments of others that they're no longer required to turn them in (just speculation since no one knows for certain.)  We'll still use the gift cards because they're convenient, and cash for meals.

I fail to understand the absolute hatred and bitterness some people seem to have when others don't do something their way.  There are lines that include it in their fare - people make choices.  I'm not going to berate someone for making a different one than mine on an issue so small.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

No flame, just a difference of opinion.  You do you, and let others choose what works for them.

From Mirriam Webster:

: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service
especially : TIP
added a gratuity for the server

We almost always take it off and tip personally.  It's usually more than the automatics, but we decide to whom it goes.  In the past, we've usually used gift cards, at the initial suggestion of a steward who said he didn't have to turn them in.  It would appear from the comments of others that they're no longer required to turn them in (just speculation since no one knows for certain.)  We'll still use the gift cards because they're convenient, and cash for meals.

I fail to understand the absolute hatred and bitterness some people seem to have when others don't do something their way.  There are lines that include it in their fare - people make choices.  I'm not going to berate someone for making a different one than mine on an issue so small.

I don’t believe. It is “hatred and bitterness”. 

The decision to tip or add a gratuity is a decision that each individual who cruises can decide to make.

The question was whether the additional charge for Club Class should be regarded as a gratuity and if so, then the individual has the “right” to delete their automatic gratuity and not to tip at all.

The problem as stated many times is that the Uncharge for a Superior Balcony, Mini-suite, Suite goes to Princess as added profits, not to the individual steward,  bus-boy or waiter bar-tender, that works long and hard to make one’s cruise “special.”  These individuals depend on gratuities and tips as their salaries.

Hence if one decides not to tip, either by opting out of the automatic system, and not providing a tip at the end of the cruise it is their right.  However, they should not believe that because they selected Club Class the cruise line will add a gratuity to the individuals mentioned automatically.  

Personally we take part in the automatic system, and if we decide that an individual has delivered superior service, we give them “a little bit extra” at the end of the cruise and in addition, make sure to notify the cruise line of the specific individual or individuals. 

• Like 1

Steven, my reference was to the post above mine, not to the OP.  The sentiment stands; your decision to not categorize it as hatred or bitterness is your choice.  There are some people who disagree, but do it politely as a difference of opinion.  There are others who do not.

Edited by Incognito1
  • Like 1