Cost to cruise solo

sailaway2023

I know that people cruising solo have to pay the same amount as two people sharing a cabin.

I've been browsing cabins for various cruises on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity's websites and what I don't get is why does the total for a solo come out more than the total cost for two people? Like $50 to $100 more.

1 hour ago, sailaway2023 said:

I know that people cruising solo have to pay the same amount as two people sharing a cabin.

I've been browsing cabins for various cruises on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity's websites and what I don't get is why does the total for a solo come out more than the total cost for two people? Like $50 to $100 more.

@sailaway2023

Hello and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards!

Thank you for your new topic on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry concerns a specific type of cruising and is off topic there.

To help you out, your new topic has been moved to the Solo Cruisers forum where it will be on topic & fellow solo cruisers can help you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various message board forums. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

I sincerely hope this will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat 

On 4/5/2023 at 6:51 PM, sailaway2023 said:

Welcome!  I've booked a bunch of cruises, all solo, and haven't come across this.  In fact, most of the time, I've seen the opposite - the price for a cabin for one with a full single tax is slightly LESS than the cost for two, because of fees and gratuities.  

Obviously, don't book anything that's unfair to you.  Perhaps go through a travel agent and they'll set you straight on why this is happening.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed what you said about RC and Celebrity with most cruises I looked at. My understanding is that they do that due to knowing that they lose revenue if it's 1 person in a cabin and not 2. There's videos and tips about booking on RC as a solo traveling with an unreliable friend who doesn't happen to show up to check in...

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 6:51 PM, sailaway2023 said:

Not always - it depends on the line, and the individual voyage.   Occasionally, on highly booked cruises, they might charge more.  On the other hand, I've paid as low as 35% supplement on a luxury line for a cruise with lots of sea days. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since COVID, many, many lines have gone to 100% single supplements.  It is usually the lines in the midrange-Celebrity, Holland America, Princess, etc. I am mainly aware of  HAL as that is who I had almost exclusively cruised with.  Before COVID, my TA could find 50% or less single supplements, but those seem to have vanished.  It seems like lower end and very high end have lower supplements.  A TA can help you find the bargains, and I've found my TA to be a bargain over the years.  I may pay a bit more, but she tracks price drops, etc.  She gets the ship to move me up in category (I usually book a year or more ahead.)  And when upsell time rolls around, I let her know a price, and tell her to go ahead and book a particular category if something opens up without contacting me.  I've ended up with high end balconies where I started out with a low end inside cabin.  

• Like 2