NCL refuses to honor coupon sent in mail?

COcruise

All - has anyone ever received a coupon in the mail and NCL cannot locate it on your account? Super frustrated, we’ve cruised a bunch with NCL and at only 30 years old I have a lot of cruises in me but I’m about to jump ship and write off NCL forever. We love NCL but I am surprised they won’t make it right.

We received a coupon in the mail for 20% off a European cruise. To my name. To my address. I’ve spent hours on the phone, they claim they can’t find it and too bad so sad. It is clearly from NCL and not expired. I’ve never created a new account with them, the only cruise we booked since we moved to the new address was over the phone via our cruise consultant so I haven’t even logged in to the system. They keep saying I may have created a new account but I haven’t logged in since 2018….. since we’ve gone directly through our PCC. Help? Ideas? Contact info for someone high up? Normally wouldn’t care but it’s thousands off of the cruise fare. Ugh!!!!! 

edited to add- dates in coupon are valid, must book by 5/1/23 and dates for booking are through 12/31/23. 

Edited by COcruise

1 minute ago, shof515 said:

most likely it was an advertisement for the same 20% cruises promotion they had on their website and your mailer arrived when that sale was over 

The dates on the coupon are very much valid…. Coupon to be used 3/15/23 to 5/1/23 for a cruise by end of 2023. 

38 minutes ago, COcruise said:

The dates on the coupon are very much valid…. Coupon to be used 3/15/23 to 5/1/23 for a cruise by end of 2023. 

Scan the coupon and ask for your NCL PCC's email.  Attach it to the email so they have a record of it.  S/He will take it to their supervisor and input it manually to your account.

Had a similar thing happen to me on my Alaska booking.  Once they got the coupon, everything was straightened out.

These were targeted mailings.  Not everyone got them.  So, as it was explained to me, once news of these discounts hit the internet (like here on CC), everyone wants them. But, they weren't meant for everyone.  That's why you have to send them a scanned image of yours.

Once they have the coupon, they have something to use to give the discount.  There's a code they need on the mailer.

Let us know how it turns out.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Scan the coupon and ask for your NCL PCC's email.  Attach it to the email so they have a record of it.  S/He will take it to their supervisor and input it manually to your account.

Had a similar thing happen to me on my Alaska booking.  Once they got the coupon, everything was straightened out.

These were targeted mailings.  Not everyone got them.  So, as it was explained to me, once news of these discounts hit the internet (like here on CC), everyone wants them. But, they weren't meant for everyone.  That's why you have to send them a scanned image of yours.

Once they have the coupon, they have something to use to give the discount.  There's a code they need on the mailer.

Let us know how it turns out.

Thank you! I already scanned to my PCC last week and he is giving me the run around and they say they can’t apply it. He already spoke to the manager. Not sure why no one is honoring it 😞 I’ve called multiple times, about to write off NCL forever over this. 

9 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

These were targeted mailings.  Not everyone got them.  So, as it was explained to me, once news of these discounts hit the internet (like here on CC), everyone wants them. But, they weren't meant for everyone.

oprah-you.gif

"You get a discount...YOU get a discount...YOU get a...."

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

@COcruise HAVE you logged in to your account to see if the coupon is there?  I'll be honest - every NCL mailing goes in the "circular file" so I'm not certain if a paper coupon was ever sent to me but there are several discounts loaded directly into my account on the site.

Something else to consider - each person has their own Latitudes account, is it possible that it's loaded on your partner's account (you used 'we' so I'm assuming a couple) and the PCC only checked yours?

• Like 2

Just now, hallux said:

@COcruise HAVE you logged in to your account to see if the coupon is there?  I'll be honest - every NCL mailing goes in the "circular file" so I'm not certain if a paper coupon was ever sent to me but there are several discounts loaded directly into my account on the site.

Something else to consider - each person has their own Latitudes account, is it possible that it's loaded on your partner's account (you used 'we' so I'm assuming a couple) and the PCC only checked yours?

It’s not on either of our accounts. I’ve spent hours on the phone with them searching high and low for it… bizarre because it’s in my name to my address and we moved last year. I don’t understand…. Super bummer 

14 minutes ago, COcruise said:

It’s not on either of our accounts. I’ve spent hours on the phone with them searching high and low for it… bizarre because it’s in my name to my address and we moved last year. I don’t understand…. Super bummer 

Try a TA.  Send them your scanned coupon to see if they can help.  Again, there's a code on it they need to enter to get the promo linked to your account.

Couple of other things to check.

First, make sure the mailer is from NCL.  There was a travel agency that was sending out flyers a few years ago that made it look like they were from NCL.  Is the number to call the NCL telephone line?

Also, on mailings I receive from NCL, my latitude number is shown above my name in the address box.  Check and see if the number matches your latitude account.

If all that is correct, then I would definitely try to escalate this and ask to speak to a supervisor directly.  Or try an independent agent as graphicguy suggested.

Good luck!

Update!!! I bugged my PCC one more time and he was able to get customer resolution to apply the coupon…. so happy NCL came through after a week of getting the run around. haven here we come 🥰

the latitudes reward # on the coupon was missing but they couldn’t find a duplicate account - I definitely haven’t made any other accounts. It was from NCL not a third party company. Thinking it was an error on NCLs side with the agent updating my address or new married name…. Anywho, yay NCL! 

• Like 16

2 hours ago, COcruise said:

Update!!! I bugged my PCC one more time and he was able to get customer resolution to apply the coupon…. so happy NCL came through after a week of getting the run around. haven here we come 🥰

the latitudes reward # on the coupon was missing but they couldn’t find a duplicate account - I definitely haven’t made any other accounts. It was from NCL not a third party company. Thinking it was an error on NCLs side with the agent updating my address or new married name…. Anywho, yay NCL! 

That's great to hear.  I know the Alaska coupons caused them some grief, too.  I think it's because they represent targeted guests and sailings.  So, it's not a blanket offer.  Some get it.  Some don't.  That causes a lot of confusion.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

That's great to hear.  I know the Alaska coupons caused them some grief, too.  I think it's because they represent targeted guests and sailings.  So, it's not a blanket offer.  Some get it.  Some don't.  That causes a lot of confusion.

Agreed. They never found the coupon or could figure out why they couldn’t find it…. Kind of funny. I assume wires were crossed  at NCL but a small part of me wonders if they do it on purpose 😂

glad it all got sorted out.

another thing to consider in the future... not only are coupons sometimes targeted, but the coupons are often for specific sailings or only valid on specific ships. and, typically, those are not the ships or sailings i'm interested in.

"here's 50% off on this much older ship that we're about to retire next year running a seldom-sailed itinerary that we're having trouble filling."  YMMV.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, COcruise said:

Curious.....did you ask WHY? I would have to know the reason WHY they cannot honor it. Ask them if you should ignore any future ads or coupons that come in the mail and only consider sales and coupons offered by other cruise lines from now on. 

1 minute ago, uneamie said:

Curious.....did you ask WHY? I would have to know the reason WHY they cannot honor it. Ask them if you should ignore any future ads or coupons that come in the mail and only consider sales and coupons offered by other cruise lines from now on. 

See post #12

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

glad it all got sorted out.

another thing to consider in the future... not only are coupons sometimes targeted, but the coupons are often for specific sailings or only valid on specific ships. and, typically, those are not the ships or sailings i'm interested in.

"here's 50% off on this much older ship that we're about to retire next year running a seldom-sailed itinerary that we're having trouble filling."  YMMV.

I read the fine print, that wasn’t the issue. It was for 2023 Europe sailings over 7 days…. They couldn’t even find a coupon to apply and claimed it didn’t exist. They honored it finally after I made a fuss so all is good! I tend to have weird luck so was kinda curious if this happens often 

6 minutes ago, uneamie said:

I did. After posting this I called my PCC again and told him I would find a new favorite cruise line and it worked (politely of course- not the fault of my PCC or the agents that NCL sends out coupons that magically disappear from the system…. Although maybe it’s a marketing tactic 😂) I get if it wasn’t in my name or expired or something. Hoping it doesn’t happen again but now if someone else has the same issue hopefully they see this thread and fight for the coupon! 20% goes a long way on a Europe cruise. 

• Like 2

I read post #12 where NCL finally gave the 20% off.  However, the problem is NOT SOLVED.  Allow me to explain and everyone that has ever read my posts knows, I do everything to always take the high road.  

In 44 years of cruising over 25 times I have had my share of issues.  Yes with NCL and a few other brands.  On each chase, eventually and the key word is eventually the brand made good on the issue.  100% of each of my issues the brand corrected as I originally asked. Now for the rest of the story and hopefully NCL is listening.

Your system does not allow your NCL team members to be empowered to handle situations like this.  Your systems are designed to take an act of congress to do the simplest thing.  The author had to call, write, make copies, get others involved and get frustrated until you finally simply did the right thing to resolve the issue.  It should not take a guest that much effort to fix and issue like this.  

You see, by the time the issue is handled, the guest was so frustrated at what they had to do that it damages your brand in their minds eye.  They tell people who tell people.  They post the situation.  Why not ask for the support documentation you need, have professionals get involved much, much earlier and show your complete commitment to the guest by handling it sooner vs after a fight. 

Now this is NOT and NCL issue.  It is a Mainstream Cruise Brand issue.  Listen, Understand, Ask What the Client Feels is fair and empower your team members to make the decision prior to escalating several time.  It is Customer Resolution 101.  

I love the NCL Brand.  I wish it would start understanding empowered crew members make great brands. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I read post #12 where NCL finally gave the 20% off.  However, the problem is NOT SOLVED.  Allow me to explain and everyone that has ever read my posts knows, I do everything to always take the high road.  

In 44 years of cruising over 25 times I have had my share of issues.  Yes with NCL and a few other brands.  On each chase, eventually and the key word is eventually the brand made good on the issue.  100% of each of my issues the brand corrected as I originally asked. Now for the rest of the story and hopefully NCL is listening.

Your system does not allow your NCL team members to be empowered to handle situations like this.  Your systems are designed to take an act of congress to do the simplest thing.  The author had to call, write, make copies, get others involved and get frustrated until you finally simply did the right thing to resolve the issue.  It should not take a guest that much effort to fix and issue like this.  

You see, by the time the issue is handled, the guest was so frustrated at what they had to do that it damages your brand in their minds eye.  They tell people who tell people.  They post the situation.  Why not ask for the support documentation you need, have professionals get involved much, much earlier and show your complete commitment to the guest by handling it sooner vs after a fight. 

Now this is NOT and NCL issue.  It is a Mainstream Cruise Brand issue.  Listen, Understand, Ask What the Client Feels is fair and empower your team members to make the decision prior to escalating several time.  It is Customer Resolution 101.  

I love the NCL Brand.  I wish it would start understanding empowered crew members make great brands. 

100% agree......and it would behoove them to actually have a working "Customer Resolution" department devoted to all customer issues. It should include a level of employees who are able to resolve tihngs without climbing a long ladder of supervisors before an issue can be resolved. I worked in customer service at a large bank. Sooo many customer issues had to be sent to my supervisor who simply "approved" of a fix that I could have done myself saving time and frustration. Companies do not want their employees to have too much power and I get that where money is concerned but in the end they are losing money by creating "unhappy customers". I really hated that job and eventually had to quit after 10 years  due to the stress of being the "in between' person dealing with angry customers. It was insane. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, uneamie said:

100% agree......and it would behoove them to actually have a working "Customer Resolution" department devoted to all customer issues. It should include a level of employees who are able to resolve tihngs without climbing a long ladder of supervisors before an issue can be resolved. I worked in customer service at a large bank. Sooo many customer issues had to be sent to my supervisor who simply "approved" of a fix that I could have done myself saving time and frustration. Companies do not want their employees to have too much power and I get that where money is concerned but in the end they are losing money by creating "unhappy customers". I really hated that job and eventually had to quit after 10 years  due to the stress of being the "in between' person dealing with angry customers. It was insane. 

@uneamie In my career before retirement, I studied some of the best companies in the world.  Each focused on team member empowerment.  Each company was recognized as a leader in their product or service.  The were the gold standard.  They were respected so much, each company was purchased for huge money.

Now for the rest of the story.  Most of those companies are gone now.  The moment they were purchased, they stopped doing the things that made them great.  In reviewing what happened, those companies were much more concerned about a guest creating fraud which happens but infrequently, than the majority of the clients with a legitimate issues.  Sad but true.  Now they are no more and the companies that bought them have zero value for the investment.  

NCL can be a great company.  They have show they know who to run a cruise brand across the price point line.  Yet they need to now focus on becoming a kinder and gentler place for clients.  The way to do that is in and through the team members that have contact with the guests.  Let them handle these situations and tell the world how NCL correctly deals with client issues.  If not now, than when will all mainstream cruise brands start understanding, we the clients have choices. All we ask is classy treatment.  Again, we are on an NCL Blog.  This is an industry issue, NCL can be the first to really address it.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Try a TA.  Send them your scanned coupon to see if they can help.  Again, there's a code on it they need to enter to get the promo linked to your account.

Sure, TA’s love to work on issues for people that use a PCC to buy cruises.

Good testimonial for having an independent TA vs. an employee that has to give you the party line.

• Like 1

I always use a travel agent.  Mainly because I gain American Express Platinum perks of Dinner for Two and up to $300.00 On Board Credit.  I also have had some issues where I thought I had been taken advantage of.  My Travel Agent is extremely successful and has been doing her job for over a decade. 

In each situation, she went up the ladder and got nowhere.  I then did what I always do.  I wrote a very well thought out letter, used all the information I had to verify my position.  I never threatened, ever.  That is the trick.  I felt that I was done wrong, but I knew if I threatened, it would not help my position.  Instead, I asked for a fair resolution as a customer courtesy.  I sent those letters out once a week to the top five executives of the cruise brand registered mail.

Each and every time in a week or two, the issue was resolved.  My Travel Agent always asks me how I did it because it frustrated her that she could not do the same thing for me.  The reason my friends is I was passionate about the situation and never gave up. Be nice, be fair and be professional with your approach.  Never give up if you really believe you are right.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I always use a travel agent.  Mainly because I gain American Express Platinum perks of Dinner for Two and up to $300.00 On Board Credit.  I also have had some issues where I thought I had been taken advantage of.  My Travel Agent is extremely successful and has been doing her job for over a decade. 

In each situation, she went up the ladder and got nowhere.  I then did what I always do.  I wrote a very well thought out letter, used all the information I had to verify my position.  I never threatened, ever.  That is the trick.  I felt that I was done wrong, but I knew if I threatened, it would not help my position.  Instead, I asked for a fair resolution as a customer courtesy.  I sent those letters out once a week to the top five executives of the cruise brand registered mail.

Each and every time in a week or two, the issue was resolved.  My Travel Agent always asks me how I did it because it frustrated her that she could not do the same thing for me.  The reason my friends is I was passionate about the situation and never gave up. Be nice, be fair and be professional with your approach.  Never give up if you really believe you are right.

Gary...same here.  My TA moved on.  Booked through NCL, but they can't honor the AMEX Plat perks.  So, had to find another TA who can honor the AMEX Perks.  Took me a little while, but found one of the YouTuber Vloggers who also runs a travel business.  So far, so good.

I had been with my former TA for about a decade.  She knew what I liked and took care of everything for me...flights, hotels, fare drops, etc.  Was sad to lose her.  But, with the travel business being in a state of chaos the last few years, I totally understood why she left the industry.

If you find a good one, throw all your business their way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1