Miracle Alaska Cruise 2024

Stowaway LFC

Hey y'all!  This is the MOST excellent site I have found for cruise information!  I have loved reading all the reviews and seeing all the pictures. I will shamelessly admit I have been stalking this forum for weeks after pulling the trigger on an Alaskan cruise in 2024. (Far out I know but hey my paycheck only goes so far gotta plan these things)

I have cruised Carnival in the past, took a Mexico cruise on the Celebration back in the 90's and a short Bahamas one back in 2009 on the Sensation.  Would have loved to gone on more but was raising kiddos and that ain't cheap!  So now I feel like a newbie cruiser again! And a little miffed I can't claim the 90's cruise for points, gggrrrrr....... but it's ok, I can pay my dues and be one of the last to board the ship, you Platinum & Diamonds are welcome to wave at me and snicker from the boat while I suffer lol. More room for me in the laundry room anyways.

So the cruise I picked is a 10 day Alaskan cruise out of San Franscisco on Miracle. 

Flying out of Love field in Dallas (in case you couldn't tell already I am a Texan lol) the day before to SFO, plan to get transport to the Fisherman's wharf area and stay at the RUI Plaza. Plan to uber to the cruise terminal the next am.

Port stops are Juneau, Haines, Tracy Arm, Ketchikan and Prince Rubert.

Have a semi plan on excursions but can't book those this far out.  But I definitely plan to book them beforehand. And Cheers of course!  Prob not internet though. Would rather do review stuff after I get home.  And it looks like most of the ports have AT&T service, at least I hope! 

BTW the tip on the AARP Carnival gift cards is gold!

Don't plan to do a whole lot in San Franscisco except explore the pier area, eat and then crash because every time I fly my luggage begs the staff to be looked at in detail and then I am invariably seated next to extroverts who wanna be best friends for life.  It's stressful being an introvert!

So here is my first of many questions I am sure I will have..... I am well versed in the search feature but failed to find what I was looking for.

I originally booked an interior cabin but then I saw on here all the perks of having a balcony because of the weather and temperature.  

Which section of the cabins should I look into with views in mind?  Need the lowest price on a balcony cabin I can find but don't wanna stare at a life boat the whole trip lol. If it's too expensive I'll pass but I'd like to check into it.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions along the way.  Thank you for reading!  Any and all recommendations and advice are welcome!  

• Like 1

Consider booking an ocean view. Still have all the scenery at a more reasonable price. 

When I have taken Alaska cruises, I choose to hang out on the top deck during the most scenic parts of the cruise. that way I could have my choice of all 360 degrees of views as opposed to only the view from a balcony. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Stowaway LFC said:

Hey y'all!  This is the MOST excellent site I have found for cruise information!  I have loved reading all the reviews and seeing all the pictures. I will shamelessly admit I have been stalking this forum for weeks after pulling the trigger on an Alaskan cruise in 2024. (Far out I know but hey my paycheck only goes so far gotta plan these things)

I have cruised Carnival in the past, took a Mexico cruise on the Celebration back in the 90's and a short Bahamas one back in 2009 on the Sensation.  Would have loved to gone on more but was raising kiddos and that ain't cheap!  So now I feel like a newbie cruiser again! And a little miffed I can't claim the 90's cruise for points, gggrrrrr....... but it's ok, I can pay my dues and be one of the last to board the ship, you Platinum & Diamonds are welcome to wave at me and snicker from the boat while I suffer lol. More room for me in the laundry room anyways.

So the cruise I picked is a 10 day Alaskan cruise out of San Franscisco on Miracle. 

Flying out of Love field in Dallas (in case you couldn't tell already I am a Texan lol) the day before to SFO, plan to get transport to the Fisherman's wharf area and stay at the RUI Plaza. Plan to uber to the cruise terminal the next am.

Have a semi plan on excursions but can't book those this far out.  But I definitely plan to book them beforehand. And Cheers of course!  Prob not internet though. Would rather do review stuff after I get home.  And it looks like most of the ports have AT&T service, at least I hope! 

Don't plan to do a whole lot in San Franscisco except explore the pier area, eat and then crash because every time I fly my luggage begs the staff to be looked at in detail and then I am invariably seated next to extroverts who wanna be best friends for life.  It's stressful being an introvert!

So here is my first of many questions I am sure I will have..... I am well versed in the search feature but failed to find what I was looking for.

I originally booked an interior cabin but then I saw on here all the perks of having a balcony because of the weather and temperature.  

Which section of the cabins should I look into with views in mind?  Need the lowest price on a balcony cabin I can find but don't wanna stare at a life boat the whole trip lol. If it's too expensive I'll pass but I'd like to check into it.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions along the way.  Thank you for reading!  Any and all recommendations and advice are welcome!  

As a fellow introvert, Invest in a good eye mask and book a window seat. Seems to discourage conversation.   On the vast majority of my flights, I say two words "thank you" to the flight attendants.   

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

As a fellow introvert, Invest in a good eye mask and book a window seat. Seems to discourage conversation.   On the vast majority of my flights, I say two words "thank you" to the flight attendants.   

You must be my sister from another Mister!  Thank you!  I'll do that!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Consider booking an ocean view. Still have all the scenery at a more reasonable price. 

When I have taken Alaska cruises, I choose to hang out on the top deck during the most scenic parts of the cruise. that way I could have my choice of all 360 degrees of views as opposed to only the view from a balcony. 

Thank you!  I will look into that!

Well unless a magic cruise fairy pops up and sprinkles magic I'm keeping my interior cabin. Wow, the price jump is insane! Think I'll take Stacey's advice and just go to the top for views.  More money left for fun stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, staceyglow said:

When I have taken Alaska cruises, I choose to hang out on the top deck during the most scenic parts of the cruise.

I was going to say the same thing.  We have done Alaska a few times, and there is so much to see on both sides of the ship, I prefer to be up on one of the top decks going back and forth to each side.  Or sometimes you can get a good view from one of the back decks.  When I choose our cabin, I always base it on the price difference between the various options.  For us, it was always practically double the price to get a balcony for Alaska, and I just didn't feel like it was worth that much more.

Miracle is a great ship (after you get past her gaudy décor). 🙂  There is a lot of common space that doesn't feel too crowded (both inside and out).  It has a retractable roof over one of the pools if you have bad weather.

We sailed Miracle out of SFO not too long - and we also stayed at RUI.  I loved it - great location.  We walked down to the pier the afternoon we arrived and it was so easy, we decided we'd just walk to the ship the next morning (but I'm sure we had less luggage than you will have for a 10-day). 🙂 I had heard not such good things about the area, but I thought it was fine (I felt safe enough to go for a run by myself down to the warf area and back the morning before debarkation).

Bring binoculars and have a great trip!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

I was going to say the same thing.  We have done Alaska a few times, and there is so much to see on both sides of the ship, I prefer to be up on one of the top decks going back and forth to each side.  Or sometimes you can get a good view from one of the back decks.  When I choose our cabin, I always base it on the price difference between the various options.  For us, it was always practically double the price to get a balcony for Alaska, and I just didn't feel like it was worth that much more.

Miracle is a great ship (after you get past her gaudy décor). 🙂  There is a lot of common space that doesn't feel too crowded (both inside and out).  It has a retractable roof over one of the pools if you have bad weather.

We sailed Miracle out of SFO not too long - and we also stayed at RUI.  I loved it - great location.  We walked down to the pier the afternoon we arrived and it was so easy, we decided we'd just walk to the ship the next morning (but I'm sure we had less luggage than you will have for a 10-day). 🙂 I had heard not such good things about the area, but I thought it was fine (I felt safe enough to go for a run by myself down to the warf area and back the morning before debarkation).

Bring binoculars and have a great trip!

Awesome advice!  Thank you! Going to try to par down to 1 suitcase and a backpack and do laundry mid cruise. LOL! Talk about gaudy! When I started investigating the Miracle I thought whoever designed it was on a bad LSD trip or something.  It's like some Alice in Wonderland took LSD or something.  But its the destinations that matter. Sooooo looking forward to this trip!

And you absolutely can claim that 90s cruise on Celebration.  If you know the particulars, they'll be able to find you in the system and credit it to your existing VIFP.  Even some pics submitted to them will be sufficient evidence. Just give 'em a call.

BTW, I'm stoked about your fantastic attitude. You'll have a great time.  Remember.... layers.  And no matchy, matchy 'winter' coats for you and your SO.  We northerners spot 'em from a mile away and chuckle under our breath. 👍

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

You need solid rain gear which can double as wind protection.  Book the small boat Tracey Arm  excursion (under San Fran excursions) as soon as possible, you will get up close and personal with ice bergs and bring full warm/rain gear.  Book the small boat for whale watching with https://www.harvandmarvs-juneau-whale-watching.com/ . 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jsglow said:

And you absolutely can claim that 90s cruise on Celebration.  If you know the particulars, they'll be able to find you in the system and credit it to your existing VIFP.  Even some pics submitted to them will be sufficient evidence. Just give 'em a call.

BTW, I'm stoked about your fantastic attitude. You'll have a great time.  Remember.... layers.  And no matchy, matchy 'winter' coats for you and your SO.  We northerners spot 'em from a mile away and chuckle under our breath. 👍

Wowza!!! I did not know that!  The 90's cruise was a 7 day one too! Thank you!  You are my happy place today! I recently found the original Celebration has been scrapped.  Sad news.  Nostalgia hurts sometimes....But carry on! New adventures to be had and new memories to make!

42 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

You need solid rain gear which can double as wind protection.  Book the small boat Tracey Arm  excursion (under San Fran excursions) as soon as possible, you will get up close and personal with ice bergs and bring full warm/rain gear.  Book the small boat for whale watching with https://www.harvandmarvs-juneau-whale-watching.com/ . 

OMG!  I saw this one on a review! I so want to do that!  How far out can you book an excursion?  I want to be 1st in line for that one!

43 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

If you can provide evidence of earlier cruises, Carnival will give you credit. Did you buy any photos on the earlier cruises?

There are many whale watching excursions. I've been on a few including Harv and Marvs. Next time we are trying 

https://jayleensalaska.com/

Yes I did!  I remember!

Nice timing for me, next cruise in 52 days is 10 day Miracle to Alaska. It will be my first trip to Alaska and traveling with a friend that has helped prepare, she went last year and fell in love. We are flying in early morning, staying at the RUI, touring San Francisco in the afternoon and having supper out. Several others on the cruise next year with us are also at the RUI and will be taking the .7 mile walk to the ship from the hotel.

Booked Harv and Marv’s small boat in Juneau, glad to see nice marks for them. 

B2809DD5-8DE7-4589-9B7E-EA9AAC8DD181.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tree.critter said:

Nice timing for me, next cruise in 52 days is 10 day Miracle to Alaska. It will be my first trip to Alaska and traveling with a friend that has helped prepare, she went last year and fell in love. We are flying in early morning, staying at the RUI, touring San Francisco in the afternoon and having supper out. Several others on the cruise next year with us are also at the RUI and will be taking the .7 mile walk to the ship from the hotel.

You are prob before mine! I hope you have a fantastic time!  Leave a review so I can follow you!  I am a stalker with no shame!  Bring it!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stowaway LFC said:

Ocean view. It's so cold you may not be on the balcony

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

If you can provide evidence of earlier cruises, Carnival will give you credit. Did you buy any photos on the earlier cruises?

It doesn't even have to be photos that you bought from Carnival.  I was able to add a 7-day cruise from1982 on the Carnivale from Miami to Samana, San Juan and St Thomas.  I had some old photos that I took.  One of them showed my wife in the dining room.  They had balloons and banners promoting the debut of Tropical coming soon.   They were able to get a pretty good idea of the date from those photos, so they gave me credit for that cruise.

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

It doesn't even have to be photos that you bought from Carnival.  I was able to add a 7-day cruise from1982 on the Carnivale from Miami to Samana, San Juan and St Thomas.  I had some old photos that I took.  One of them showed my wife in the dining room.  They had balloons and banners promoting the debut of Tropical coming soon.   They were able to get a pretty good idea of the date from those photos, so they gave me credit for that cruise.

Time to dig out those old albums and see how old I am now lol!

18 hours ago, tree.critter said:

I'll see you on the ship!  We're booked on that cruise as well.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, FastShip24 said:

Ocean view. It's so cold you may not be on the balcony

It really isn't that cold. I was on an Antarctica cruise a couple of months ago and spent a lot of time on my balcony. It was warmer and less crowded than up on deck.

Unless I missed it you didn't say what month you were going @Stowaway LFC.  We've done Alaska both in late May/early June and late August/early September, both considered shoulder season. I'd have to think long and hard about which I liked better but would absolutely do the Spring/Fall thing again.  We were lucky to have solid weather for both trips. That doesn't always happen.  The issue is more rain than cold but the Lido deck can and will be chilly at times. It ain't the Caribbean.

You're also going to want to think about mosquito season when you are ashore. Up there they can carry away dogs and small children!  Our two trips were before and then after so we were fine.

• Thanks 1