Not able to choose specific cabin?

cherrytwist

You all know everything, so I'm sure someone can help me! I'm trying to book my next cruise, but when I go to select my cabin on decks 9-11, it says the stateroom will be assigned later. I need connecting rooms, so I need to book specific cabins. Is this a new policy? In the past, I could just pick whatever cabins I wanted and book them. Is there a way to guarantee connecting cabins? Thanks!

You will need to examine (closely) deck plans in order to see what rooms are connecting rooms.  There is no way via the "normal" booking process to know.  You will have to get several pairs of possible rooms by looking at deck plans and then start looking to see if any of those rooms are available.  Highly unlikely that you will get the type of rooms you want by going the "guaranty" route...you will need to find availability where you can actually see & pick your cabins...or phone in and have the rep assist you in what you want.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You will need to examine (closely) deck plans in order to see what rooms are connecting rooms.  There is no way via the "normal" booking process to know.  You will have to get several pairs of possible rooms by looking at deck plans and then start looking to see if any of those rooms are available.  Highly unlikely that you will get the type of rooms you want by going the "guaranty" route...you will need to find availability where you can actually see & pick your cabins...or phone in and have the rep assist you in what you want.

Thanks for your reply! I know exactly which connecting cabins I want, but I'm just unable to book them. Even when I click the "choose your stateroom now" option, it still says Princess will assign later. I'm able to choose specific cabins on the Riviera deck, but I prefer lower. You apparently can't pick specific balcony cabins on decks 9-11, at least not on the website. I was able to book specific mini-suite cabins on decks 9-11, just not balcony. Maybe if I call?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cherrytwist said:

Thanks for your reply! I know exactly which connecting cabins I want, but I'm just unable to book them. Even when I click the "choose your stateroom now" option, it still says Princess will assign later. I'm able to choose specific cabins on the Riviera deck, but I prefer lower. You apparently can't pick specific balcony cabins on decks 9-11, at least not on the website. I was able to book specific mini-suite cabins on decks 9-11, just not balcony. Maybe if I call?

You did not share with us when your cruise is scheduled...or where but Princess always holds *some* rooms back in case they need to shift things around as you get closer to sail date.  If this cruise is relatively soon...then a guarantee cabin may be all you can get due to a large number of cabins already booked.  You said you know what cabins you want...does the website show that they are actually available?  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cherrytwist said:

You all know everything, so I'm sure someone can help me! I'm trying to book my next cruise, but when I go to select my cabin on decks 9-11, it says the stateroom will be assigned later. I need connecting rooms, so I need to book specific cabins. Is this a new policy? In the past, I could just pick whatever cabins I wanted and book them. Is there a way to guarantee connecting cabins? Thanks!

To see which cabins are connecting cabins you could first go to the deck plans on the website.  Find your decks and click on the light blue bar connecting cabins.  Then, go back to the cruise to see if they are available?

If only option is GTY, then they may be updating the cruise, it's sold out on those decks or they have closed it for the bidding process.

You can also call PCL or a TA and have them look at availability.  They may show available cabins, where you don’t see them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Charging extra to select a room is a non starter. Glad we are looking at other cruise lines.

I don't think it was *ever* considered to be an "extra charge"...just a way to offer a small break for those who don't care about the specific cabin they cruise in...and the fact that it "helps" Princess in regards to the ability to move cabins around should the need arise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You did not share with us when your cruise is scheduled...or where but Princess always holds *some* rooms back in case they need to shift things around as you get closer to sail date.  If this cruise is relatively soon...then a guarantee cabin may be all you can get due to a large number of cabins already booked.  You said you know what cabins you want...does the website show that they are actually available?  

That's the thing, it doesn't say if the cabins are available. For balcony decks 9-11, the only option is to pick a guaranteed cabin that will be assigned later.  I just came back from a cruise today and want to plan another one to have it to look forward to, so we're in the early stages of planning. I looked at cruises in October, December, and next April and it was the same for all of them...I couldn't pick specific balcony rooms on those decks. 

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I don't think it was *ever* considered to be an "extra charge"...just a way to offer a small break for those who don't care about the specific cabin they cruise in...and the fact that it "helps" Princess in regards to the ability to move cabins around should the need arise.

And penalizes those who prefer to select their own cabins at the price advertised instead of latter in the cruise selection.  Also there are less rooms available for making that choice.  It is an extra charge and forcing people to not get cabins they would want. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cherrytwist said:

That's the thing, it doesn't say if the cabins are available. For balcony decks 9-11, the only option is to pick a guaranteed cabin that will be assigned later.  I just came back from a cruise today and want to plan another one to have it to look forward to, so we're in the early stages of planning. I looked at cruises in October, December, and next April and it was the same for all of them...I couldn't pick specific balcony rooms on those decks. 

Same thing on a 10 day cruise to the Caribbean in February.  Slim pickings for those who wished to select their own cabins.

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

Charging extra to select a room is a non starter. Glad we are looking at other cruise lines.

Considering that most other mainstream implemented the same practice before Princess. Good luck.

Edited by ldtr

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

Not like this they didn't. Just cruised with Celebrity and it was not like the "new" Princess pricing.

Not exactly but something similar. 

Just picked a random Celebrity cruise. The price for a guarantee veranda  was 25% less that a picked room. So your right it is not the same in that Celebrity might charge much more, atleast on some cruises.

They do seem to not have a difference for those that book early, but the closer you get to the cruise the greater the difference.

Just another example of dynamic pricing being done by all of the lines.

Edited by ldtr

13 hours ago, cherrytwist said:

How many people are you booking in the cabins?  Princess (and most cruiselines) hold cabins that sleep 3 or 4 for people who need the third or fourth bed, at least until closer to sailing. 

You may need to search for cabins that sleep 3 or 4 from the cabin type/decks you want, find connecting cabins you want (assuming there are connecting cabins to that sleep more than 2; check the deck plans), and call Princess to see if they can book you into those at (presumably) double occupancy.

EDITED TO ADD:    I will preface this by saying I have no problem with paying a bit more to choose my cabin.    It is the availability that is the problem.

I  haven't read thru all of the above replies.

But, I can say that THIS IS A PROBLEM.

Princess is blocking so many cabins off, for so many different (and not valid) reasons.

I am looking at a cruise that has recently gone online for booking.

There are entire categories, decks, sections, that come back showing GTY only.

I know, by way of some creative searching, that these cabins ARE available. 

They are not currently booked.

This is simply NOT okay.

If one is a valued returning customer, is booking early, and wants to choose a specific type of cabin or area, etc....  Then that should be possible.

What the hack is wrong with having most cabins be first come first served.

This is another of the inexplicable and disrespectful and frustrating things with Princess recent customer service practices.

There are people who put their nose up and say  "MY great TA" or "MY great Princess Planner" can always get me the cabin I want.

I am taking that with a huge grain of salt.

And will continue to do so until somebody posts or contacts me and helps me with the tips to get the area I really want on this cruise for next year.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I looked at the deck plans for Enchanted and I must be missing something because I can't tell which cabins connect.  What should I be looking for?

15 hours ago, cherrytwist said:

I have see the same thing on several cruises I was looking at, almost all the balcony cabins are will be assigned and these cruises are months and months out. I just don't understand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, cherrytwist said:

I am seeing that more and more, even a year out. Last cruise I emailed my Princess  Planner, told her I was looking for a balcony on Lido deck (only guarantee available online) and she gave me several to choose from. I do not know why they do this. My suggestion is to contactca TA  or Princess PVP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yowman said:

I looked at the deck plans for Enchanted and I must be missing something because I can't tell which cabins connect.  What should I be looking for?

The Princess deck plans on the Princess website are basically useless for seeing what you are looking for.  Take a look at the link below.  Pick which deck (or decks) and then scroll down a bit to see the legend codes.  Interconnecting cabins have a small black diamond...there are many other codes to show special cabin features.  I have no idea why Princess does not do this...

https://www.cruisemapper.com/deckplans/Enchanted-Princess-2156

• Like 2

I guess I am missing something that has just taken place (or similar!) I have never booked a GTY cabin...I just won't do it.  I have ALWAYS been able to find a section/deck that allowed picking my own cabin.  Yes, GTY cabins can be had for less, but I want to be "in control" and make my own mistakes!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You can see which cabins are still unbooked with some creative searching.

Yes,to those who do not understand....

There is a lot going on here with this.

I think it is of note that it cost more to select a cabin.   (which do not mind that much)

I think it is also of note that GTY are nonrefundible deposit.

I think it is also of note that when I have heard of somebody getting a cabin they want made available to them, I have seen the 'Revenue' department mentioned.

There are probably a lot more factors than these mentioned.

None of them lead me to have any respect at all for Princess current business practices.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

EDITED TO ADD:    I will preface this by saying I have no problem with paying a bit more to choose my cabin.    It is the availability that is the problem.

I  haven't read thru all of the above replies.

But, I can say that THIS IS A PROBLEM.

Princess is blocking so many cabins off, for so many different (and not valid) reasons.

I am looking at a cruise that has recently gone online for booking.

There are entire categories, decks, sections, that come back showing GTY only.

I know, by way of some creative searching, that these cabins ARE available. 

They are not currently booked.

This is simply NOT okay.

If one is a valued returning customer, is booking early, and wants to choose a specific type of cabin or area, etc....  Then that should be possible.

What the hack is wrong with having most cabins be first come first served.

This is another of the inexplicable and disrespectful and frustrating things with Princess recent customer service practices.

There are people who put their nose up and say  "MY great TA" or "MY great Princess Planner" can always get me the cabin I want.

I am taking that with a huge grain of salt.

And will continue to do so until somebody posts or contacts me and helps me with the tips to get the area I really want on this cruise for next year.

We had the same issue.  In fact not a single cruise in the Caribbean in Jan or Feb of 2024 had a class other than interior where you could select your room. And I looked at them ALL. We are willing to pay more to select the location we want and literally nothing shows availability to do so.   I even called and was told the ship is sold out.  But yet you can book guarantee rooms?  CRAZY!     

That said you can select a location Guarantee like mid, mid aft, aft etc. which I haven't seen before.   We decided to book a midship mini-suite knowing the class room we picked (MB) only has these rooms midship on on floors we like.

Not sure what is going on with Princess but seems super weird and will turn off people that wont book guarantee

• Thanks 1