HMC Villas are listed as $999.99 now?!?!

missholly24

A Louis Vuitton or Gucci bag costs $1000’s! Do you see people bemoaning the fact that they are charging these prices? Simple supply and demand - you agree with and are willing to pay the going rate or you aren’t. Suck it up and pay it or don’t. Why are people complaining that the price is more than they are willing and / or able to pay? Get on with your lives.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, RD64 said:

A Louis Vuitton or Gucci bag costs $1000’s! Do you see people bemoaning the fact that they are charging these prices? Simple supply and demand - you agree with and are willing to pay the going rate or you aren’t. Suck it up and pay it or don’t. Why are people complaining that the price is more than they are willing and / or able to pay? Get on with your lives.

I think most are just shocked it jumped so much in price? In the last year, the cabanas and villas almost doubled in price. The last price increase was substantially a big hike. I booke a cabana last month due $499. It is now 33 percent more? It is interesting that they still have them available on my August sailing. They usually are never available. I think the. I’ll as and cabanas that are booked now we’re probably booked at the lower price. The true test of the price point will be when they open up for later sailings? 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Thenagers said:

I think most are just shocked it jumped so much in price? In the last year, the cabanas and villas almost doubled in price. The last price increase was substantially a big hike. I booke a cabana last month due $499. It is now 33 percent more? It is interesting that they still have them available on my August sailing. They usually are never available. I think the. I’ll as and cabanas that are booked now we’re probably booked at the lower price. The true test of the price point will be when they open up for later sailings? 

They have over 3 months to sell a handful of cabanas to a ship with thousands of passengers. At a 33% price hike, they only have to sell 68% of the cabanas to make more money than if they had left them at the old price.   They know what they are doing. 

3 hours ago, RD64 said:

I am not going to rent a cabana at that price because I don’t feel it is worth $700.  I don’t really care what anyone else does - that’s their business.  And I don’t care what brand purse/bag they carry either.  I’m a simple Dooney & Bourke girl myself.😀

Kim

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thenagers said:

Agree completely. Most of my Villa rentals in the past were $499 then it jumped to $699 now $999. Just seems exorbitant amount. (still available by the way...😁) Everyone has their own opinion. 

18 hours ago, Thenagers said:

I think most are just shocked it jumped so much in price? In the last year, the cabanas and villas almost doubled in price. The last price increase was substantially a big hike. I booked a cabana last month due $499. It is now 33 percent more? 

THIS!  That was my whole point in my post.  They used to be around $300-$350.  Then they jumped to $450 (so 50% price increase), now $700.  That is a 100% increase in about a years time.

Just commenting that it seems to far exceed the price increases on everything else.  You expect 10-20-30% here or there.  We have seen it on other "extra" options like specialty dinning, internet, etc.  But not 100% increases.

Seen comments that it isn't just cabanas going up either.  I could even understand it on some excursions where you are talking about day long trips with buses, boats, gas, etc.  But this is a building that is there.  Doesn't cost them that much more now versus a year ago.  A little extra in labor costs now for the servers, a little extra for the food they provide (which doesn't amount to much).  

Supply and demand like everyone says..  if people will pay it they will charge it.

33 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Supply and demand like everyone says..  if people will pay it they will charge it.

Yep. We’ve had a cabana 90% of the time at HMC because I need to stay out of the sun. We don’t usually do any excursions on the Bahamas trips, so splitting the cost amongst 2-4-6 is not too bad.  We usually just have it for 2.  

However, everyone has their jumping off point and $700 is definitely mine.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

THIS!  That was my whole point in my post.  They used to be around $300-$350.  Then they jumped to $450 (so 50% price increase), now $700.  That is a 100% increase in about a years time.

Just commenting that it seems to far exceed the price increases on everything else.  You expect 10-20-30% here or there.  We have seen it on other "extra" options like specialty dinning, internet, etc.  But not 100% increases.

Seen comments that it isn't just cabanas going up either.  I could even understand it on some excursions where you are talking about day long trips with buses, boats, gas, etc.  But this is a building that is there.  Doesn't cost them that much more now versus a year ago.  A little extra in labor costs now for the servers, a little extra for the food they provide (which doesn't amount to much).  

Even the dreaded broken/oversold clam shells have doubled in price!

On 4/23/2023 at 3:47 PM, BlerkOne said:

Pretty sure most cruisers who have been to HMC have never rented a cabana/etc (I know we didn't)  and this will have zero impact for most future cruisers.

We did every time we went. To each their own.

I’m totally fine seeing an increase and seeing how supply and demand will play out.  Successful companies are successful because they adjust to market demands and maximize profits.  I just don’t understand why profit has become a bad word.  You need profits to stay in business.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2023 at 1:36 PM, Thenagers said:

Personally I loved faster to fun pre Covid. We got it in Glory with HMC as a tender and then again on horizon with grand cayman , tender ports really make a difference. I got it on Mardis gras this last spring break and a total waste of $149. The shorter line at guest services was the only benefit that really stood out. My friends without it got on 10-15 after me? Room wasn’t ready until 1:30( although stuff could be dropped). No priority luggage and debarkment didn’t matter. Unless there is a tender port I will not do faster to fun again!

I agree. Not getting early access to your room did it for me. Used it in two cruises pre-Covid.  One of my boys has sensory issues and getting to be on our own balcony as opposed to in the crowded Lido area was worth a lot. Now I’m Platinum so don’t need it anyway but I don’t think it’s worth it anymore. 

same situation for us with the cabanas.  We did a B2B last fall.  Went to HMC both legs. Booked a cabana for the first leg as soon as they came available for $349. That felt like a lot but still worth it. But we didn’t book the second leg until Aug and at that point, the cabanas were $499.  I was stunned. We were paying $1000 for 2 people in a balcony. So one of us was cruising for the same price for six days as six hours in a cabana. Nope. 

Edited by momof3cruisers
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 9:38 PM, BlerkOne said:

Same thing with the price of eggs on land.

Umm, no.  Not really.   

a) the price of eggs has come down a good bit from its earlier high

b) the supply of eggs has increased and the price has decreased accordingly.  There is no variance in the supply of cabanas, villas or the Private Oasis.  The only variable here is the price charged...and the resulting willingness or unwilingness of passengers to book or not.  

As has been observed, it will be interesting to see how this game of price-chicken plays out for Carnival...and us.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pellaz said:

As has been observed, it will be interesting to see how this game of price-chicken plays out for Carnival...and us

Price-chicken.  😂

My guess is that since cruising is becoming more expensive these days, some people will trot over from Royal, NCL, etc., and that $700 price tag won’t seem so bad as they’re spending less on their voyage.   Someone will pony up that cost.  

Just theorizing, of course.  

I’m out.  

11 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Umm, no.  Not really.   

a) the price of eggs has come down a good bit from its earlier high

b) the supply of eggs has increased and the price has decreased accordingly.  There is no variance in the supply of cabanas, villas or the Private Oasis.  The only variable here is the price charged...and the resulting willingness or unwilingness of passengers to book or not.  

As has been observed, it will be interesting to see how this game of price-chicken plays out for Carnival...and us.  

Eggs, bacon, politicians - prices are variable. It comes down to supply and demand.

What you miss is price if booked in advance vs price if booked on the ship. The ship can sell unsold cabanas for whatever discount they fancy. Those that positively must have one, or just looking for a tax deduction, can purchase in advance. Or you can take your chances on the ship. They will sell out either way.

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Eggs, bacon, politicians - prices are variable. It comes down to supply and demand.

What you miss is price if booked in advance vs price if booked on the ship. The ship can sell unsold cabanas for whatever discount they fancy. Those that positively must have one, or just looking for a tax deduction, can purchase in advance. Or you can take your chances on the ship. They will sell out either way.

How does one get a tax deduction for renting a cabana? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, staceyglow said:

How does one get a tax deduction for renting a cabana? 

There are as many ways as there are tax consultants. Here's an easy one: Make money influencing cruisers? Tax deduction for whole trip.