Is cunard more than formal than HAL?

Hflors

Sister and I are booked the Queen Elizabeth for a 14 day Panama city canal cruise.  We usually cruise in s Neptune suite on HAL we are in a princess grill suite on the Queen Elizabeth are they comparable?  Is the dress the dress more formal?  Any info would be helpful.  Thanks.

48 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Yes, more formal than HAL.  The Princess Grill suite I glimpsed on QE was nearly identical to a mini-suite on Princess.  EM

Are they comparable to HAL'S Neptune suites?  Is the dress more formal???  On Queen Elizabeth we have a private table.  What exactly does this mean??  Should we brush up on our etiquette for dining,.  Does Cunard have "full" setting as apposed to HAL's partial settingup the last few years.   Thanks for any info.

Edited by Hflors

Cunard, we prefer QM2, is an experience we always look forward to Book Princess Grill.

Different style sailing not cruising.

Wonderful when the clock passes 6PM on board especially on Gala Nights.

PG suite is not as large as a Neptune Suite on a HAL Vista. I took the picture below in June. You can see the TV mounted above the bar, facing the bed. On the opposite side, there's a second TV facing the sofa. There's a desk opposite the sofa, but it isn't visible in any of my pictures. You'll have a coffee maker and an electric kettle. Plenty of closet space. 

The PG restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You will have the same table and waiter and may go in at any time that they're open. I don't know who said "private table," but perhaps they meant you have a table for just the two of you. There are a lot of twos and fours, and only two large tables (I think). I don't know what you mean about "full setting."

Service and food in PG are WAY above HAL's MDR or even CO. Lots more choices in PG. 

Cunard's entertainment puts HAL's to shame. Production shows with incredible production values and a talented company. Real, live orchestra for dancing. Guest performers accompanied by live musicians, not recorded. Jazz or classical or piano player in the bars, pub band in the Golden Lion. Go up to the Commodore Club (where HAL's crow's nest is) and have a classic cocktail. Go to the Queens Room for afternoon tea, beautifully served. You can have afternoon tea in the grills, but I prefer it in the larger setting, with music being played. 

Cunard is more formal and very elegant without being stuffy. People definitely dress up more than on HAL, especially in the grills. A formal night on Cunard, is one of my favorite experiences in travel. 

QE is my favorite. I don't know what it is, but the first time I walked onto that ship, something inside me said "home." 

L1970294.JPG

• Like 2

Aloha. Have been blessed to sail countless times on Cunard and HAL in all cabin classes on Cunard and in Neptunes on HAL. Love Queens Grill on Cunard and Neptune on HAL. The Cunard ships are very dressy and I love wearing a tuxedo which is a rarity in today’s world. I love casual but there is something special of wearing formal wear. Just my thoughts but both lines are fabulous. Enjoy!

• Like 4

We took an Alaska cruise on HAL the last year they used the term "formal." That was a joke. Although I was not the only man to wear a traditional dinner jacket it seemed that anything goes. There were even some young chaps in T-shirts and baseball caps at formal dinners. The women were much better dressed than the men, but even on Cunard that is often the case.

We had a Neptune suite, which was similar to a Cunard Queen's Grill suite.  Breakfast was available to us in the Pinnacle Grill, which was a nice touch. The dinners in the main dining room were mediocre, although the table settings with lovely china and silver cutlery were elegant.  HAL rarely serves lunch in the dining room, which is a blessing in a way. The two lunches we had there were not good at all. That included the special lunch for members of the Mariners. 

The Neptune lounge offered a good selection of snacks (I wish Cunard's Grills lounge on the QE would do that). Otherwise we would have to have lunch in the cafeteria or through room service on port days.

As has been pointed out above, Cunard's Grills passengers can have all meals at their assigned table. None of Cunard's four dining rooms close on port days. 

Edited by david,Mississauga
clarification
  • Like 1

I agree that the Neptune Lounge is better than the Grills Lounge. On QE in June, I found the bar service rather grudging, and considering it wasn't free, I'd have hoped for better service. I missed the snacks, too. The Grills concierge didn't seem to be able to answer the few questions I had. I have always had excellent concierge service in the Neptune lounge. So there's one point for HAL. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I agree that the Neptune Lounge is better than the Grills Lounge. On QE in June, I found the bar service rather grudging, and considering it wasn't free, I'd have hoped for better service. I missed the snacks, too. The Grills concierge didn't seem to be able to answer the few questions I had. I have always had excellent concierge service in the Neptune lounge. So there's one point for HAL. 

But Cunard does provide the fruit skewers, ice creams, and,I believe, sandwiches at midday, on the Grills Terraces. And, honestly, who actually needs snacks, though I think there are things in the hideous Concierge Lounge on QM2.

We enjoy Concierge Lounge when you don't want to deal with the Masses at the other locations. 

At different times of the day there are different levels of snacks available.

A pleasure to have a quieter Tea Time in the Concierge Lounge. We were happy with the the limited choices that satisfied us at the time. But still enjoyed the Famous Scones,  Preserves and Clotted Cream.

Concierge Lounge is not visible to the outside but more imitate and quieter location with good WiFi.

Our Concierge Henrietta was very helpful and knowledgeable with all our requires and troubleshooting.

So there is other personal opinions out there I personally may not agree with but to each is own.

Yes @Hflors

Cunard is more formal.

It is beautiful!!!

Your private table in Princess Grill means the table is yours for the entire voyage… so when you turn up to dine at any meal, you get to sit at your table.

I would not fret on studying dining etiquette, if you are comfortable dining in nice restaurants, you should be great.

Cunard is not uptight and stuffy- it is just gorgeous and special.

Hope you have a magnificent trip with your sister!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

But Cunard does provide the fruit skewers, ice creams, and,I believe, sandwiches at midday, on the Grills Terraces. And, honestly, who actually needs snacks, though I think there are things in the hideous Concierge Lounge on QM2.

On HAL, the snacks in the lounge aren't crisps and junk food. The foods they put out are enough to make a good light lunch, which makes it possible to avoid the Lido. The teatime snacks in the Neptune Lounge are very good. And the Neptune Lounge has the best tea on the ship.

We did two weeks on HAL in February, and while some folks did dress up on "dressy" nights, you could be in the MDR and see a gentleman in a tux seated nearby to another man wearing a wife beater shirt and flip flops.  Absolutely no enforcement of dress code at all that we saw.

We have not sailed HAL for some years but it used to be our line of choice until we tried Cunard. Have only ever  sailed in PG - six voyages now and whilst HAL appears to be heading for the more casual approach to cruising, Cunard are more traditional and still encourage dressing up for dinner. It suits us but may not appeal to you. Service is the grills is very personal and off menu ordering is possible. The staff are excellent and get to know your preferences very quickly. You can take as long as you want over your meal. I personally think it is  wonderful. I m sure that you will enjoy it.

One of the big advantages of the Neptune Suite on HAL is the free laundry.  Nothing like that in PG on Cunard.  Cunard is WAY more formal than HAL, but you will not have to take Emily Post lessons before you board.  If formality is your cup of tea, then Cunard is for you.  Services and assistance in the Neptune lounge are better than what you get from the Grills concierge on QE.  The Neptune Suite is quite a bit larger than PG on the QE.

1 hour ago, tv24 said:

One of the big advantages of the Neptune Suite on HAL is the free laundry.  Nothing like that in PG on Cunard.  Cunard is WAY more formal than HAL, but you will not have to take Emily Post lessons before you board.  If formality is your cup of tea, then Cunard is for you.  Services and assistance in the Neptune lounge are better than what you get from the Grills concierge on QE.  The Neptune Suite is quite a bit larger than PG on the QE.

Laundry on Cunard is free--if you're willing to brave the launderettes. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Laundry on Cunard is free--if you're willing to brave the launderettes. 

Oh yes, the lovely launderettes, and the charming passengers who fight over the machines.  Watch out for flying irons!  Of course in a HAL Neptune Suite, someone else cleans your dirty clothes.

1 minute ago, tv24 said:

Oh yes, the lovely launderettes, and the charming passengers who fight over the machines.  Watch out for flying irons!  Of course in a HAL Neptune Suite, someone else cleans your dirty clothes.

Cunard laundry prices are very reasonable, and the service is very efficient.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tv24 said:

'Iron' is a dirty word for me on holiday but I've never had to duck a flying one and in fact, I often wonder where I go wrong when doing laundry as I never come across these 'charming' passengers.

Apart from the obvious washing facilities, the passenger laundry is a great place for picking up any   tips/ information and of course, any goss!  🙂

As  exlondoner says, the ships' laundries are  reasonable if needed.

It's always the tumble driers that cause the problems.

Passenger 1 puts wet clothes into the drier and switches it on, then goes for a half hour walk.

Passenger 2 opens the drier to see what's in it. This stops the machine. Then they close the door without re-starting the programme.

Passenger 3 opens the door, sees that the machine is not on, so removes the wet clothes and puts them in a basket.

Passenger 1 returns a half hour later to find all their clothes still wet and not even in the machine.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, exlondoner said:

If I were to take the three main meals in the restaurant plus afternoon tea I wouldn't want snacks. The snacks in the QM2 Concierge Lounge and HAL's Neptune Lounge are an alternative to breakfast or lunch or tea.  We often skip the dining room lunch (on Cunard it is always voluntary and usually forced most days on HAL as I indicated previously.)

On 4/10/2023 at 10:51 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

PG suite is not as large as a Neptune Suite on a HAL Vista. I took the picture below in June. You can see the TV mounted above the bar, facing the bed. On the opposite side, there's a second TV facing the sofa. There's a desk opposite the sofa, but it isn't visible in any of my pictures. You'll have a coffee maker and an electric kettle. Plenty of closet space. 

The PG restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You will have the same table and waiter and may go in at any time that they're open. I don't know who said "private table," but perhaps they meant you have a table for just the two of you. There are a lot of twos and fours, and only two large tables (I think). I don't know what you mean about "full setting."

Service and food in PG are WAY above HAL's MDR or even CO. Lots more choices in PG. 

Cunard's entertainment puts HAL's to shame. Production shows with incredible production values and a talented company. Real, live orchestra for dancing. Guest performers accompanied by live musicians, not recorded. Jazz or classical or piano player in the bars, pub band in the Golden Lion. Go up to the Commodore Club (where HAL's crow's nest is) and have a classic cocktail. Go to the Queens Room for afternoon tea, beautifully served. You can have afternoon tea in the grills, but I prefer it in the larger setting, with music being played. 

Cunard is more formal and very elegant without being stuffy. People definitely dress up more than on HAL, especially in the grills. A formal night on Cunard, is one of my favorite experiences in travel. 

QE is my favorite. I don't know what it is, but the first time I walked onto that ship, something inside me said "home." 

L1970294.JPG

That is a Princess Grille suite???  Admittedly, I have never seen one, but that looks sad!

On 4/12/2023 at 6:44 AM, BigMac1953 said:

It's always the tumble driers that cause the problems.

Passenger 1 puts wet clothes into the drier and switches it on, then goes for a half hour walk.

Passenger 2 opens the drier to see what's in it. This stops the machine. Then they close the door without re-starting the programme.

Passenger 3 opens the door, sees that the machine is not on, so removes the wet clothes and puts them in a basket.

Passenger 1 returns a half hour later to find all their clothes still wet and not even in the machine.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back.

This is where Post-It notes come in handy.  "Keep ya mitts off my clothes!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The size is fine, but the shape makes it dark and gloomy and disappointing.

I look as much to the size of the suite when booking higher categories as anything, considering the fare charged. If I am forking out $300 to $500+ per person/per day on a mass market line (which I consider Cunard to be, although with a bit more oomph) I'd better have a room of at the very least 400 square feet.  To me, that doesn't look any bigger than a deluxe veranda on a lot of ships. 

1 minute ago, scamper said:

I look as much to the size of the suite when booking higher categories as anything, considering the fare charged. If I am forking out $300 to $500+ per person/per day on a mass market line (which I consider Cunard to be, although with a bit more oomph) I'd better have a room of at the very least 400 square feet.  To me, that doesn't look any bigger than a deluxe veranda on a lot of ships. 

I should go for a QG then.