Port Everglades Taxi

smithmlmx

Taxi issues have appeared here before. Not sure if this is a new scam. Disembarked port on Saturday to terminal 2 at FLL. Asked cab driver if meter was on. He said yes, but I couldn't see it. Straight route to a/port -  no traffic. When we arrived at airport he suddenly pressed a button and the meter appeared showing $24.95. I said  I usually pay $14 or $15 and he said the meter was not showing because the reflection bothers his eyes when he is driving. I  stated that I never saw the meter when we got in and he may have already put in  something before we started. Said I am not paying $24.95 and his response was " whatever". Gave him $16 which didn't seem to bother him.

11 hours ago, smithmlmx said:

Taxi issues have appeared here before. Not sure if this is a new scam. Disembarked port on Saturday to terminal 2 at FLL. Asked cab driver if meter was on. He said yes, but I couldn't see it. Straight route to a/port -  no traffic. When we arrived at airport he suddenly pressed a button and the meter appeared showing $24.95. I said  I usually pay $14 or $15 and he said the meter was not showing because the reflection bothers his eyes when he is driving. I  stated that I never saw the meter when we got in and he may have already put in  something before we started. Said I am not paying $24.95 and his response was " whatever". Gave him $16 which didn't seem to bother him.

There have been so many complaints about these taxi drivers.  You should definitely report the instance.  Even if you don’t have his car/taxi license info, you could still report it on the Broward.org website.

We use Uber/Lyft now.  

https://www.broward.org/consumer/complaints/pages/filingacomplaint.aspx

Same thing happen to me in Feb.

At FLL airport, terminal 1, I was asked if we needed a taxi.  I was pointed to a large black SUV.  I asked driver if he was a taxi driver as I did not see a taxi sign on it.  He waved a plastic card around his neck at me. I sat in the front seat.  As we were driving,  I did not see any meter.  I asked him about the meter, his answer was it is all on an app on his  phone.

We were going to Hyatt Place, on 10th Ave, a popular hotel with cruisers.  He did not know where it was even with goggle.  We finally made it there. We were charged $35. Before, I have paid $30 for a taxi to a beach hotel.  I mentioned at check in about the price of the taxi and they said it should not have been that much.

I think he was not a taxi but share ride.

We taxi'd from PE T2 to FLL T2 in Feb this year. I was well aware of the taxi scams being reported here on CC so I guess we were lucky in that our driver used his meter properly and the fare, with tip, was a normal $20 +/-. Amusingly, as we were standing in line at PE waiting for the taxi to pull up, I made a point of asking one of the sheriff's deputies doing crowd control about these scams and whether taxis from PE are supposed to use meters. He was quite adamant that ALL taxis use meters there, so it seems the local sheriff's dept don't read CC ;o)

Caution with many of the taxi drivers. They do not turn on the meter , then charge you $25 to $30 or more for the 3 mile ride....We always ask them to turn the meter on. If they won't do it , we ask to get out. It should cost $15 or so from the airport to 17th St Causeway area.