Premium Plus -- No More Wines by the Bottle?!

Coastalbreezes

We always upgrade to the Premium Plus drink package but friends who recently sailed on Prima told me that wines by the bottle are no longer included. P+ only offered higher priced wines by the glass. Wondering if this has been implemented fleet-wide or if you can share your current experience?

Were they only asking for it with a meal as this is the only time bottles are available?
I know you are familiar with the package, just wanted to check your friends are applying it correctly.

I've found three separate references to select bottles with dinner.  But none of those listed the one bottle pp limit or the inability to take bottles back to your room.  I'm not sure whether they changed that policy back or perhaps it just wasn't referenced in the places I looked.

Edit:  Ziggy's link DOES reference the single bottle.  It's odd, if not surprising, that it isn't clearly stated with all docs related to P+/FAS+

Edited by phillygwm

We just got off the Bliss. We got bottles with P+ every night at dinner, no problem in all dining rooms and specialty restaurants. However, we weren't able to take any bottle with us out of the dining room.  Even when we wanted a second bottle and I specifically asked if I could take any leftover back to the cabin, they offered for us to just fill up the glasses and take those.  Contrary to this, they had NO problem with us taking our brand new unopened free bottle from our dining voucher.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

48 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I've found three separate references to select bottles with dinner.  But none of those listed the one bottle pp limit or the inability to take bottles back to your room.  I'm not sure whether they changed that policy back or perhaps it just wasn't referenced in the places I looked.

Edit:  Ziggy's link DOES reference the single bottle.  It's odd, if not surprising, that it isn't clearly stated with all docs related to P+/FAS+

We brought a PDF with us when we sailed recently on the Breakaway, the staff told us it was on old copy and gave us a current one. This is one of the problems with PDF's on the internet, while sites take whole pages down the PDF's often remain in the files even if not published which means links like mine above remain live.

The link I provided is the link from my upgrade offer and is also dated February 6th 2023 so I do believe this is the current offer.

I also note the main text says "wine by the bottle when dining" while the small print limits it to dinner with " wine by the bottle is limited to one bottle at dinner per package."

While we had difficulty getting Champagne by the bottle, we did not have issues getting a bottle of wine at lunch and again with dinner, this was the Breakaway in December, we did not take the plus in March. 

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to add (as I realized I left it out), we had no problem if we wanted to order a second bottle at the same sitting and they offered to leave the champagne bottle with us several times.

Edited by ljrfrm
  • Like 2

It's not hard to find the previous terms of the PP package and see just how much they have reduced the value of it since last year. But the current description/terms clearly indicate that there must be at least one "wine" and one "champagne" available by the bottle at dinner. They can whittle down the selection all they want, but this is the minimum they have to offer. (They can try to hide behind "brand availability may vary" but that won't fly if they're still happy to serve the same wine/champagne by the glass.)

Of course they can change the terms whenever they want, but they actually have to do it. If it is true that the Prima has gone rogue and stopped honoring the current terms (which so far we have no proof of, just a vague second-hand report), then I hope the passengers know how to raise a stink and demand some respect.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Coastalbreezes said:

Thanks for all your responses. The terms and conditions online do still list wines by the bottle while dining. Guess I'll find out next week on Escape.

I’ll be on the Joy next week and will also report back.

• Like 2

I was really very close to buying this package for my dh and myself even though my dh is a beer drinker. I prefer good quality alcohol, wine and Veuve during breakfast and lunch on a cruise. I am a social drinker, drink on weekends, but on vacation, it is morning through very late evening. I'm a gym rat and would make use of the water and other drinks. When I first booked this cruise almost a year ago, I was just going to purchase, spend the extra $500+ or so but started seeing changes, waited and followed figuring I can always purchase. But now, honestly, I don't think I will spend the money since my dh won't get use of it. If I could purchase on my own, I still would but these changes, lack of availability, etc., I'm guessing I will pay as I go. hhhhmmmm...decisions.

We had a bottle of Veuve twice with dinner at Food Republic last week on the Joy, no questions asked.  We finished it, didn’t ask for another. Yes, we like Food Republic. 

to me it’s easily worth it for the water and upscale Gin, Bourbon and Vodka. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 3

We had the Premium Package on our October NCL cruise and ordered premium bottles of wine at restaurants every night. If you are getting wine at a bar, then we ordered the high end wines by the glass. The menus showed which wines were included in the packages. I hope that they didn’t change it. We’re getting ready for a 9-day Med cruise in June.

The link above also still states that Jonny Walker Blue is still included at the Haven bar while other reports indicate that there’s suddenly an up charge for that.

I hate when offers get watered down like this AFTER you committed to a purchase. I’m annoyed enough that they pulled Kinky Boots on our upcoming Encore cruise and can live with a lesser whiskie offer but if they cause is issues with our beloved Veuve, then they will have one cranky passenger. 

Will do my best to report back, internet access en route permitting!

Think the ship might be the difference in selections available, especially wine. 

Did the Breakaway out of Nola in December and stayed in the Haven.  First day or two great wine selection, and no issues getting good bottles at dinner.  As the week progressed they ran out of most of the wine I liked, even by the glass.  What was very disappointing is they would offer a substitute for the wine I wanted, and knowing my wines, what they offered was not what I would consider a premium wine.  No issues on hard liquor, my husband likes high end gin and whiskey.  I did talked to the BM while on board and got the supply chain issue reason, which I totally get, but then don't offer a package you cannot deliver. 

Sent a nice email post cruise to share my concerns about offering something that I paid for that they did not deliver on, and they refunded my premium package upcharge, which I was not asking them to do, so pleasantly surprised.

Went on the Bliss in March, not in the Haven .  The Bliss does have a Cellars wine bar, not sure if that was the difference maker but great selection of wine by the glass and by the bottle at dinner.  No issues either on liquor.

We had the premium plus on the Bliss. Several bottles were available under the package. They made it clear very early the bottle could not be removed from the restaurant. We discovered some selective enforcement, but that came when the restaurant was closing and we had just ordered another bottle.

Other than the bottles not being allowed to be removed from the restaurant, we really didn't notice any other downgrade on the P+ package.

• Like 1

Im guessing even if I am on the ship I cannot just get this for myself since my dh is a beer drinker and Diet Coke. 

Is there anyine that got the upgrade for the two of you with onky one using and did you feel it was still worth it given my post above in this thread. 

Thank you. 

We are on the Bliss right now (repositioning from LA to Vancouver)

Bottles of wine (that are only available as bottles) are not available as part of Premium Plus in the restaurant for dinner 

We will definitely not do it again

They are not allowing us to order some of the Macallans to ensure there is enough for the tastings

Frustrating experience for sure

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, cmp030400 said:

We are on the Bliss right now (repositioning from LA to Vancouver)

Bottles of wine (that are only available as bottles) are not available as part of Premium Plus in the restaurant for dinner 

We will definitely not do it again

They are not allowing us to order some of the Macallans to ensure there is enough for the tastings

Frustrating experience for sure

Discuss this with the F&B Manager. Request a refund. Not sure you'll get it, but maybe something. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Discuss this with the F&B Manager. Request a refund. Not sure you'll get it, but maybe something. 

I agree 100%. You’ve paid for the selection just as much as people paying for the tastings. Why do they get priority over you? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On the Encore in January and the Joy in March we had identical experiences with P+ uprade

1.  We could get a bottle of wine (1 per person with the P+ package) at dinner.  However, our selections were limited to those wines that were already offered by the glass...If the the bottle was not sold by the glass the bottle was 40% discount.   (Last year, there were at least a dozen varied bottles that were available on P+ package that were not served by the glass)

2.  We had full choice of most all spirits at the bars we frequented.  Most often Maltings where we drink our fair share of Whistle Pig, Macallens, and other premium bourbons, rye's and whiskies...Bartenders at Maltings on Joy a few weeks ago would surprise us with Old Fashions using a variety of bourbons and ryes....never charged a bit.  

3.  Bottles of Vueve at Ocean Blue and Le Bistro...Interesting story was that we went to Le Bistro the last night on the Joy and they "claimed" they were out of Vueve..I asked for Moet instead and they said it would be charged at 40% off, but I could get a bottle of Prosecco for free (Yuk)  So, I very nicely stated that the comparable replacement (Moet) should be provided for free.  5 minutes later, the wine steward appeared with an elusive bottle of Vueve!    The red I selected for dinner that night was also out, but that time the steward came back with three different reds (all at least $90 on the menu and not avail by glass) for us to choose from for free!

Lesson:  Be polite and respectful and generally all will work out very well 🍾

Like most we also could not bring "unfinished bottles" back to the cabin.  They would gladly pour the remaining into a glass for you, but you could not walk away with the bottle. They do let you walk away with the bottles of Aqua Pana ... in fact, most of our servers would bring an extra bottle toward the end of dinner for us knowing that we would like to leave with it...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

On the Encore in January and the Joy in March we had identical experiences with P+ uprade

1.  We could get a bottle of wine (1 per person with the P+ package) at dinner.  However, our selections were limited to those wines that were already offered by the glass...If the the bottle was not sold by the glass the bottle was 40% discount.   (Last year, there were at least a dozen varied bottles that were available on P+ package that were not served by the glass)

2.  We had full choice of most all spirits at the bars we frequented.  Most often Maltings where we drink our fair share of Whistle Pig, Macallens, and other premium bourbons, rye's and whiskies...Bartenders at Maltings on Joy a few weeks ago would surprise us with Old Fashions using a variety of bourbons and ryes....never charged a bit.  

3.  Bottles of Vueve at Ocean Blue and Le Bistro...Interesting story was that we went to Le Bistro the last night on the Joy and they "claimed" they were out of Vueve..I asked for Moet instead and they said it would be charged at 40% off, but I could get a bottle of Prosecco for free (Yuk)  So, I very nicely stated that the comparable replacement (Moet) should be provided for free.  5 minutes later, the wine steward appeared with an elusive bottle of Vueve!    The red I selected for dinner that night was also out, but that time the steward came back with three different reds (all at least $90 on the menu and not avail by glass) for us to choose from for free!

Lesson:  Be polite and respectful and generally all will work out very well 🍾

Like most we also could not bring "unfinished bottles" back to the cabin.  They would gladly pour the remaining into a glass for you, but you could not walk away with the bottle. They do let you walk away with the bottles of Aqua Pana ... in fact, most of our servers would bring an extra bottle toward the end of dinner for us knowing that we would like to leave with it...

I would do the same, i am hoping that on my cruise on the Jewel in a few weeks, I wont have to argue for substitutions.  I will very strongly argue with a manager about scotch availability if they say that they need to save it for tasting...  

• Like 1