Free at Sea drink package

bighedz

Thoughts on the free at sea drink package for 2 very light drinkers of alcohol (maybe a drink each every other day would be our max)?  With gratuities totaling nearly $25/day per person for the package, I don't think we would spend that much.  Wife does not drink soda and mostly just water.  Better to have water delivered to room or does the soda package allow regular water (just read tonic and soda water, neither of which she can drink)?

22 minutes ago, bighedz said:

Thoughts on the free at sea drink package for 2 very light drinkers of alcohol (maybe a drink each every other day would be our max)?  With gratuities totaling nearly $25/day per person for the package, I don't think we would spend that much.  Wife does not drink soda and mostly just water.  Better to have water delivered to room or does the soda package allow regular water (just read tonic and soda water, neither of which she can drink)?

No bottled water included on soda or free at sea package, we brought yeti’s.

We are light drinkers. My husband drinks no alcohol. I drink some, but not nearly enough to justify the gratuities. We still get the drink package. 

Sometimes, I want a drink. I just want the drink "paid" for by the drink package so I order and don't worry about charging extra money to our room. Also, some bartenders will charge for club soda. Some will give it to you at no charge, with no package. I had no package in September and my experience was that half of servers would give me a club soda gratis, the other half would charge me. 

If I do want a drink, it's usually a Grey Goose with club soda, splash of cranberry (g-d, I'm boring). I don't want to sign for it. I just want to get it. Sometimes 

My husband, on the other hand. He gets virgin drinks all the time. These are not included in the soda package. I think, based on the amount of Coke and virgin drinks my husband consumes, we make out alright with the drink package. 

On a purely financial cost/benefit level, you need to get 2+ drinks per day to make the FAS drink package worth it to you.  So for you: no.

Bring a portable, personal drink bottle and fill-up (using a clean glass) at the buffet.  Water, ice tea, and flavored juices there for you to enjoy gratis.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

My husband, on the other hand. He gets virgin drinks all the time. These are not included in the soda package. I think, based on the amount of Coke and virgin drinks my husband consumes, we make out alright with the drink package. 

Can you tell me what sort of virgin drinks he was able to get?  My husband and I both drink, but realistically I would probably want a glass of wine with dinner and a cocktail at a show.  I’d love to be able to get virgin drinks earlier in the day.  I know we’d probably spend less than tips if we just paid out of pocket, but I also tend to feel a bit guilty “wasting money” on drinks so I know I’d enjoy myself more with the package.

popular virgin drinks include banana and strawberry daiquiris, mudslides and pina coladas. all those drinks are made with nonalcoholic drink mixes (out of a carton) and the alcohol is added (or not) at the very last moment. these drinks are quite common.

some bartenders will make non-alcoholic smoothies. and some bartenders will be happy to take ice cream or bananas or whatnot you've brought them from the buffet and mix that in. they can also make virtually any other juice-based drink without alcohol. subject to supply chain issues, most ships also have flavored seltzer in a can, such as a "bubly" (brand name product). that usually is considered a soda, not water, so it, too, is included.

• Like 1

Keep in mind NCL already made you pay for most of the actual cost of the “free” at sea open bar. It’s obviously not $21.80 a day per person. NCL would be crazy to have it actually cost $21.80 and make that available to most of their guests. It’s really the price you pay EXTRA to opt in. Sail away rates are less. Cruises on other lines without the open bar are probably less. All things not being equal of course. You get other things with the free at sea promos and other cruise lines offer different things.

So one way to look at it is you already paid for most of it, just opt in and pay for the rest. You might be encouraged to drink more or try the nonalcoholic stuff.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bomabound said:

Can you tell me what sort of virgin drinks he was able to get?  My husband and I both drink, but realistically I would probably want a glass of wine with dinner and a cocktail at a show.  I’d love to be able to get virgin drinks earlier in the day.  I know we’d probably spend less than tips if we just paid out of pocket, but I also tend to feel a bit guilty “wasting money” on drinks so I know I’d enjoy myself more with the package.

Hey there! He enjoyed mudslides sans alcohol, plus there are welcome drinks served in the Haven bar that are non-alcoholic. They vary by ship, so he has recipes from Getaway and Joy that he shares with bartenders so he can get those, plus the ship-specific drinks. 

And, of course, almost any cocktail can be made non-alcoholic, so occasionally he'll just order whatever he's interested in that looks good on the menu. Sometimes bartenders forget and add the alcohol, which means I get an unexpected drink as he just doesn't enjoy the taste of liquor. 

• Like 1

I got the "free" open bar on my first two NCL cruises, but on my recent 6-day Royal cruise I saw that our bar tab was less than $250. So, I've since removed the "free" open bar on my future NCL cruises. I think I'll just break even at worst. If I had an itinerary with a lot of sea days, then it may be worth it for me.

Edited by craig01020
  • Like 1

NCL’s got almost everyone thinking breaking even is two cocktails a day. I figure it’s more like 4 cocktails, a couple beers/wines, and half a dozen sodas considering the premium on the fare versus some cruise lines and the inflated gratuities (20% on $109 regardless of how little you drink). Not to mention the prices for drinks are already much higher since you’re not at home. NCL is making a ton of money giving it away for “free.”

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mistertomatoe said:

NCL’s got almost everyone thinking breaking even is two cocktails a day. I figure it’s more like 4 cocktails, a couple beers/wines, and half a dozen sodas considering the premium on the fare versus some cruise lines and the inflated gratuities (20% on $109 regardless of how little you drink). Not to mention the prices for drinks are already much higher since you’re not at home. NCL is making a ton of money giving it away for “free.”

Lol speak for yourself with the prices, we pay the same if not more here at home! The first time we had the UBP we paid for it (it just started) including gratuity, and it was definitely more than the $20 a day, cruise price was similar.

6 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hey there! He enjoyed mudslides sans alcohol, plus there are welcome drinks served in the Haven bar that are non-alcoholic.

A virgin mudslide is cream, ice, and chocolate syrup. (Chocolate milk). 

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2023 at 12:01 PM, JGmf said:

On a purely financial cost/benefit level, you need to get 2+ drinks per day to make the FAS drink package worth it to you.  So for you: no.

Bring a portable, personal drink bottle and fill-up (using a clean glass) at the buffet.  Water, ice tea, and flavored juices there for you to enjoy gratis.

THIS! I don’t see enough people answering this question this specifically, but it is what I have figured out also. Two drinks average per day and you may as well get the free at sea package.

We're not really drinkers, can take or leave it. Our rule of thumb is if it's part of the cruise deal we book we enjoy the ease of it. Otherwise we just pay as we go if we want a drink. We don't drink enough to make the beverage package worth it. 

We bring refillable bottles and a travel mug for coffee. We're happy with water, iced tea and coffee. My husband brings water enhancer drops for flavor. 

Hope this helps. YMMV. 

Meg

On 4/12/2023 at 10:43 AM, mistertomatoe said:

What he said.😎

On 4/12/2023 at 4:43 PM, mistertomatoe said:

You can’t say whether it is 2 or 4 drinks. There are so many factors to take into account that it will work out differently for everyone.

There are people who say that it is many more than 4 as you can book cheaper rooms that don’t have free at sea as an option, and for them that is likely true, but for others who will book the more expensive room anyway that is irrelevant.

2 hours ago, zzdoug said:

Does the basic unlimited open bar package include sparkling water e.g. Perrier or San Pellegrino etc? Thanks 

No!

"Specialty waters" are only included in the Premium Plus drink package (or FAS UP pkg).

For new to NCL customers... to further clarify the above statement, the bottles in the refrigerator in the room are NOT included in either package!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

No!

"Specialty waters" are only included in the Premium Plus drink package (or FAS UP pkg).

For new to NCL customers... to further clarify the above statement, the bottles in the refrigerator in the room are NOT included in either package!

"Specialty" coffees are also not included, correct?

Doug

Hi All,

I have a few questions regarding the drink package.  So our friends got it on their reservation and we have four sea days in a row.  I am sure they will be hanging at the pool with us most of the time (we don't drink) and I know of with Royal Caribbean people can get buckets of beer (like 6 at a time).  Does NCL allow this on the drink package?  Or do they allow one of them to go up and get two drinks (one for the wife or husband)?  Do they only allow you to get drinks every so often - like once an hour, etc.?  We have been on RC so much I know how their system works but never on NCL so I don't know their system and what to tell our friends.  Any information would be helpful - thanks.

cruzbound

• Like 1