Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

All flight to all origin airports near us and in the Miami / FLL area are totally sold.    Best I can do is fly today to DFW and overnight in DFW.     The only flight I could get doesn't depart Dallas until 8:00 PM Friday getting in around 11:00 PM

At least you got a flight!  

And in this situation, coming in later will give time for the floods to recede, and also for authorities to get  stalled cars off the roads and re-opened.  Some main roads in the FLL (and Miami) area are still impassable due to flood waters and abandoned//stalled cars.

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ugh.... It's going to be a wild day for sure.      Just got a call that they will be keeping FLL closed all day.   I immediately jumped on the line to AA and as you can expect the lines are clogged.  Luckily I had a premium number that helped.

All flight to all origin airports near us and in the Miami / FLL area are totally sold.    Best I can do is fly today to DFW and overnight in DFW.     The only flight I could get doesn't depart Dallas until 8:00 PM Friday getting in around 11:00 PM

Jim, not sure if you want the drive but have you tried Orlando or Tampa? The drive from Orlando to FLL is not bad going down the turnpike. 

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ugh.... It's going to be a wild day for sure.      Just got a call that they will be keeping FLL closed all day.   I immediately jumped on the line to AA and as you can expect the lines are clogged.  Luckily I had a premium number that helped.

Wow 

I never think of storms screwing up FLL in the spring time 

I usually more worried that Toronto will have freak snow storm 😱

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Jim, not sure if you want the drive but have you tried Orlando or Tampa? The drive from Orlando to FLL is not bad going down the turnpike. 

Why Orlando ? Don’t you think PBI is much much closer ?

I have no problem driving on 95 to the beach near Miami today.

Jim if you ever need help to Fort Lauderdale from PBI please don’t hesitate to let me know.I can give you a ride.

Beautiful beach day today.

Edited by verizon
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Jim 

Guess you could try those if needed,  but...Tampa  airport & area  roads  have become very congested..I flew out  of TPA for business a few weeks ago .  What a nightmare!  Switched to SRQ for my return.

from Orlando it's a long drive down and across...and  there are congested roads at times esp thru Sarasota..

Allegiant  Air goes to Punta Gorda...semi rural 

try Ft Myers.( RSW) .nice drive across Alligator Alley..if its dry! or even Sarasota ( SRQ)

on the East Coast there  are Jacksonville and West Palm..but we are more familiar with  SW Fl west coast

you are one of the most experienced travelers on the Boards..so  I know you will find a way for it to work out

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Jim 

Guess you could try those if needed,  but...Tampa  airport & area  roads  have become very congested..I flew out  of TPA for business a few weeks ago .  What a nightmare!  Switched to SRQ for my return.

from Orlando it's a long drive down and across...and  there are congested roads at times esp thru Sarasota..

try Ft Myers.( RSW) .nice drive across Alligator Alley..if its dry! or even Sarasota ( SRQ)

on the East Coast there  are Jacksonville and West Palm..but we are more familiar with  SW Fl west coast

you are one of the most experienced travelers on the Boards..so  I know you will find a way for it to work out

20 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Jim 

3 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

Hi Jim,

If you have time, I would have a question for experienced cruisers such as you and Lain. 

When it comes to a transatlantic cruise, why did you choose a cruise line such as Celebrity which sails normal cruise ships, versus a line like Cunard specializing in transoceanic cruise, using ships ( transatlantic liners)  especially designed for ocean crossings? 

In short, I am wondering if a transoceanic sailing on a Cunard "Queen..." is normally smoother than a similar crossing done a cruise line sailing normal cruise ships or if the ship design has no significant impact on the comfort on board during a crossing?

Thank-you for your insight! 

Cunard is definitely designed for North Atlantic cruising and because of the design is built for speed and smoother crossing.   The majority of their TA's are 7 day crossing and don't include any ports along the way.   If I were looking for just a crossing it might be a consideration.   They also sail the North Atlantic route which is known to be rough an often cold and rainy.    Even in really high seas you are going to feel a lot of motion.

When it comes to hitting high seas Cunard may be a bit smoother but are also heavily impacted by high seas and winds.    Two years ago with a huge storm brewing we were diverted south of the Azores -   Apex was in front of us and even Queen Mary was behind us.  

Should also point out Only QM2 is a Ocean Liner in service on Cunard other ships are cruising ships.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Wouldn't mind a drive but they tried everything from Atlanta, Pensacola, New Orleans etc.  I guess closing the airport they are filling every route possible.   At this point if you try to log into AA and choose a different flight the website is down.

Edited by Jim_Iain

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sounds like a lot of fun.    YEARS and I mean Years ago I went to one in Singapore.   It was amazing to see so many in such a confined space.

I forgot to mention all the wonderful and extremely well kept plants in the Conservatory.  This was the best butterfly "house" I have ever been to.

• Like 2

Hi Jim,  Long time Fl. Resident.  Easiest airport to get to FLL is use PBI (Palm Beach). You can take train to FLL.  Train stations close to both airports.  Tri-Rail is the name it used to go by.  Jacksonville

JAX would be the next airport. Rent a car and drive.  MCO last choice congested mess.  Good luck!

We will be following your adventure as we were booked on this cruise, but in process of moving.

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wouldn't mind a drive but they tried everything from Atlanta, Pensacola, New Orleans etc.  I guess closing the airport they are filling every route possible.   At this point if you try to log into AA and choose a different flight the website is down.

Raleigh Durham?

Just caught up and want to say, a big "THANK YOU" for taking us along...again.  More than your insightful commentary and beautiful pictures, are the kind words you use to express your thoughts and answer questions and comments.

So sorry about the weather issues, but like "water off a duck's back" (maybe the wrong phrase for now?), you will soon find yourself back on board.  This will create another memory.

Be safe and have wonderful voyages!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, goldsmip115 said:

Jim,

if you have to overnight in Dallas, if you don’t want to be trapped at an airport hotel the ZaZa hotel is my go to place.  I think you both would love it!

I was just telling Iain that I'll have to work to see if we can get a 1/2 day rate for tomorrow as our flight won't be until 8:00 PM

ZaZa really looks like a beautiful property.   

• Like 1

Jim, Good luck.  The Grand Hyatt is a really nice airport hotel if you take that option.  Getting to Dallas is always a good strategy when flying on AA as they have so many flights options.  

I have had two long haul flights messed up in the last year.  One from Maui to ORD and then ORD to Lisbon.  Since flights do not have a lot of empty seats, booking a good replacements is a challenge. I take what I can get and keep checking to see if I can get something better.  

Best of luck.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Jim, Good luck.  The Grand Hyatt is a really nice airport hotel if you take that option.  Getting to Dallas is always a good strategy when flying on AA as they have so many flights options.  

I have had two long haul flights messed up in the last year.  One from Maui to ORD and then ORD to Lisbon.  Since flights do not have a lot of empty seats, booking a good replacements is a challenge. I take what I can get and keep checking to see if I can get something better.  

Best of luck.

I've been doing the same -   The only two options they had was either a 7 PM in coach or 8:37 PM in First -  Since we have 1st Class tickets opted for the later flight.

This is what the schedules are currently showing for today

image.thumb.png.3b659da9d67c8f03bca5fb13aa128880.png

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Best of luck.

Totally agree about Grand Hyatt DFW  It has always been my go-to for overnights at DFW.  Clean, decent bar and food - and runway views are fun!

52 minutes ago, hcat said:

Jim 

from Orlando it's a long drive down and across...and  there are congested roads at times esp thru Sarasota

From Orlando you do not go through Sarasota unless you’re planning to take I-4 to I-75 south and the long way around. You also do not need to go across Florida. My point to Jim is that it may be easier to get a flight to one of the other major airports. 

• Like 4

Jim, If you haven't left yet, have you looked at SFO?  You might be able to get to the east coast there today.  I know it's a bit further, but not that much.  (And if it's a redeye, I can drive you to the airport).  It may not be practical at this point, but it's a thought.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Did you try West Palm or Orlando?  Might be able to rent a car in Orlando and drop off in Ft. Lauderdale.  Some of the car agencies don't charge a drop off fee when it's within Florida.  We use Avis to get to the port.  Just a suggestion, hope you are able to secure an earlier flight.

Orlando Airport to south Florida you would take the 528 east to I-95 and then south all the way to FLL.

Edited by Gracie115

14 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

from Orlando it's a long drive down and across...and  there are congested roads at times esp thru Sarasota

From Orlando you do not go through Sarasota unless you’re planning to take I-4 to I-75 south and the long way around. You also do not need to go across Florida. My point to Jim is that it may be easier to get a flight to one of the other major airports. 

I agree  100%,  when in a pinch go with what u can get! .That's how I came to book my flight out of TPA.. all they had on very short notice. Driving there was an ordeal bless my dh.!

Also agree other driving  routes are  options for sure but not all super hwys  (ironically we have brush fires.in drought areas)

. We generally  avoid Orlando and Tampa..if at all possible but have rels up that way     We are spoiled in Venice!