New Wine cards

CruzeQueen2

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I will try to remember to ask a bartender! The packages’ selections aren’t appealing to me, but they are definitely cheaper than buying the bottles individually from the MDR wine list. As an example, the sparkling wines are $59, $65, and $115 on the list in the app so $149 is a good price, IF you wanted those particular wines and would have purchased by the bottle.

CF8712A5-0951-4FC9-9FAE-C67FDA23C189.thumb.jpeg.b9ba74d248c1fd5c603632bda008f581.jpeg

Agreed. I would 100% buy the sparkling package.  

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 9:34 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

LOL...I've not even heard of a wine card!  I constantly learn things here on CC!

Maybe they are referring to the Dinner Wine packages where they gave you a punch card to keep track of the bottles you have used.  There was a Silver and a Gold package which was based on the wine quality.
Since they started the new wine packages, I didn't think about the "cards" any longer.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:08 AM, capriccio said:

Currently I am on board the Coral Princess out of Sydney Australia and there is no sign of a wine package nor any talk of one that I am aware of. In the days before the bundled packages we used to buy the silver or gold wine card (10 bottles up to a certain price for a reduced rate per bottle IIRC) but that was years ago.

Last time we had it was on the Coral in March/April 2020.

13 hours ago, Torfamm said:

IF you wanted those particular wines and would have purchased by the bottle.

Yes, that is the big IF.  Sure, the overall value to menu price is there with approx 36.4% discounted, but I wouldn't be buying Veuve Cliquot at $115, or the discounted $73+ when I can get it at Total Wine for $50.  And the Princess pricing has to be increased by 18% and tax at TW is only about 7% where I would be getting it.

17 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

@Torfamm Sorry to bug you! BUT, since you have come through with the information that I have been looking for, I would like to ask this. Would the cost of these packages have 18% gratuity added, additionally? Or, is this the all-in price?

Thanks for passing this forward. 

I agree that these wines are nothing special. Just average. Understood. 

I think it is pretty obvious that guests will be paying another 18% on top since individual bottles sold at menu pricing attract the 18%. It may be in small print just out of range of the photo taken, but I would think no way those prices include the 18%. 

IMO, still doesn't beat BYOW when you can select what you want and dodge PCL mark-ups.

Example:  Veuve Cliquot is going to cost guest around $86 if they get it as part of the promo sparkling package.  Total Wine pricing in FL is $50 + sales tax.  Even if you end up having to pay $20 corkage, you are still ahead. 

Of course, this is only relevant for guests like me not booking Plus/Premier.  

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, that is the big IF.  Sure, the overall value to menu price is there with approx 36.4% discounted, but I wouldn't be buying Veuve Cliquot at $115, or the discounted $73+ when I can get it at Total Wine for $50.  And the Princess pricing has to be increased by 18% and tax at TW is only about 7% where I would be getting it.

I think it’s a bit unfair to compare any wine list pricing to retail. You’ll not likely find Veuve Cliquot on any restaurant wine list for under $100. 

Wine is normally marked up at least double or triple of retail. Any $10 grocery store wine will be at least $25 or $30 at a restaurant. Drinking wine out is always a poor value. If I want really fine wine, I normally drink it at home.  

Off the subject, if you are interested in champagne, the book The Widow Cliquot, was really interesting.

• Like 2

It is sad that Princess has seemingly abandoned a commitment to provide a nicely curated wine list with variety and quality at decent pricing (considering we know there is going to be a significant restaurant-like mark-up).  This past effort earned them a kudos from Wine Spectator (and I think I have seen them leaning on that even though what is going on today ought to prompt WS to retroactively retract that or at least demand PCL stop using it).  Now it is plonk by the glass for the masses without any information beyond the varietal.  They seem to have reverted back to what they were doing before an effort was made to improve the wine program.  Nowadays, I think the best wine program on a Princess cruise is the one we make ourselves.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I think it is pretty obvious that guests will be paying another 18% on top since individual bottles sold at menu pricing attract the 18%. It may be in small print just out of range of the photo taken, but I would think no way those prices include the 18%. 

IMO, still doesn't beat BYOW when you can select what you want and dodge PCL mark-ups.

Example:  Veuve Cliquot is going to cost guest around $86 if they get it as part of the promo sparkling package.  Total Wine pricing in FL is $50 + sales tax.  Even if you end up having to pay $20 corkage, you are still ahead. 

Of course, this is only relevant for guests like me not booking Plus/Premier.  

I’d factor in the nuisance and cost of getting the wine to last a whole cruise to the ship when a passenger flies, Either renting a car or Ubering to a liquor store at the embarkation port or paying to ship cases of wine would negate any benefit to me. If you can drive it would be well worth it

37 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I’d factor in the nuisance and cost of getting the wine to last a whole cruise to the ship when a passenger flies, Either renting a car or Ubering to a liquor store at the embarkation port or paying to ship cases of wine would negate any benefit to me. If you can drive it would be well worth it

It is true that some folks need a lot more wine than others.  We are always at the port the day before, so it hasn't been a big deal to acquire at least some wine.  Anything you can get to the ship alleviates the on-board pricing and can always get more in most ports of call.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

Thanks for sharing your insights and thoughts. @Torfamm Don't bother asking about the 18% added; it's sure to be the case. Understood.

Believe it or not...I will be jumping in with both feet, getting the Premiere package. Sailing with friends this time, this will be the best choice for us. Thanks again! Hope you are enjoying your cruise. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 12:08 AM, capriccio said:

Currently I am on board the Coral Princess out of Sydney Australia and there is no sign of a wine package nor any talk of one that I am aware of. In the days before the bundled packages we used to buy the silver or gold wine card (10 bottles up to a certain price for a reduced rate per bottle IIRC) but that was years ago.

The wine packages were never available on Australian cruises for some odd reason.

On 4/16/2023 at 10:18 AM, Torfamm said:

While this only applies to cruises we have taken out of Port Everglades, our typical routine is to fly in the afternoon before and rent a car for a day. Rental Cars in Florida are cheap. (At least they were.) And you pick up your car right in the parking garage so no need to take a shuttle. The car saves time in getting to our hotel, and allows us to save quite a bit of packing for the plane ride, as we make a shopping trip to various stores. CVS for sunscreen or other liquids and gels that might explode on the plane, wine shop, Home Goods store.  We return the car the next day and when it was available, took the free shuttle to the port offered by National.  I think that is gone, and if so, a taxi to the port is cheap.  The whole adventure takes little time, saves on airplane packing, and saves hundreds of dollars on wine not to mention the ability to bring on really nice bottles.  Typical one-day car rental with corporate discount was usually around $44.  Probably more now, but still.   

5 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

While this only applies to cruises we have taken out of Port Everglades, our typical routine is to fly in the afternoon before and rent a car for a day. Rental Cars in Florida are cheap. (At least they were.) And you pick up your car right in the parking garage so no need to take a shuttle. The car saves time in getting to our hotel, and allows us to save quite a bit of packing for the plane ride, as we make a shopping trip to various stores. CVS for sunscreen or other liquids and gels that might explode on the plane, wine shop, Home Goods store.  We return the car the next day and when it was available, took the free shuttle to the port offered by National.  I think that is gone, and if so, a taxi to the port is cheap.  The whole adventure takes little time, saves on airplane packing, and saves hundreds of dollars on wine not to mention the ability to bring on really nice bottles.  Typical one-day car rental with corporate discount was usually around $44.  Probably more now, but still.   

I paid $78 on January for a 1 day rental with Hertz. They offer free transfers in Miami from their location near the cruise port but not at FLL to Port Everglades