Observations From One On First RCCL Cruise Since Covid

This isn’t a review, just some observations from someone who is on their first Royal cruise since Covid. We’ve noticed some changes… Most for negative but not dealbreakers. This was a 4 day cruise on Independence for the record. 

• No more printed Compass. This one affected us more than we expected. We missed the printed copy in the cabin each evening. They don’t make it easy to access the electronic version. It’s accessible via a website reached via a QR code. Can’t access directly from the app which seems really silly. 

• Once a day housekeeping. No evening service. Not a dealbreaker but again, no more printed compass or port information. No more fresh towels. And no turndown. Cabin service not available after 1 pm. 

• Fewer options in the dining room. They’ve done away with the favorites section of the menu. No more French Onion soup nightly or other old standbys. This one is a major negative in my book. 

• Hours around the ship have been reduced. This was a bummer. 

We had a nice time. And not saying any of these will keep us from booking RCCL again. But we’ll reevaluate before booking our next trip. Just some observations from a family that has sailed Royal Caribbean many times. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I got a compass every day without asking. Maybe I look old. I'd be ok with not getting it, but so far keep getting one. 

I'm not sure your housekeeping rule is for everyone. Maybe some get late and some early. I got mid day on oasis and on radiance she kept coming (march 27 to april 6). They were just going to move to once a day. 

• Like 1

• You can request paper copies of Compass from your steward.
  • I think you can choose between morning and evening service. I think most massmarket lines are switching to 1 service per day.

• Losses in revenue + inflation made them make some cuts, and there are some difficulties hiring people.

I got kinda late afternoon or evening service.  This was fine.  I don't mind accessing CC on app.  If you want a paper copy, you just have to ask.

Would like the favorites in MDR to remain, but they did have the Onion soup several nights so I didn't go without.

3 hours ago, winstoda said:

This isn’t a review, just some observations from someone who is on their first Royal cruise since Covid. We’ve noticed some changes… Most for negative but not dealbreakers. This was a 4 day cruise on Independence for the record. 

• No more printed Compass. This one affected us more than we expected. We missed the printed copy in the cabin each evening. They don’t make it easy to access the electronic version. It’s accessible via a website reached via a QR code. Can’t access directly from the app which seems really silly. 

• Once a day housekeeping. No evening service. Not a dealbreaker but again, no more printed compass or port information. No more fresh towels. And no turndown. Cabin service not available after 1 pm. 

• Fewer options in the dining room. They’ve done away with the favorites section of the menu. No more French Onion soup nightly or other old standbys. This one is a major negative in my book. 

We had a nice time. And not saying any of these will keep us from booking RCCL again. But we’ll reevaluate before booking our next trip. Just some observations from a family that has sailed Royal Caribbean many times. 

Compass is available if you go to Guest services and request .

Once you get used to app , everything on the compass is easily accessible ,albeit a bit different format obviously

Cheers

56 minutes ago, renza said:

You can request morning or afternoon service, you can also request a hard copy of CC, you can also request more towels in room. No biggy

Only recounting our experience. Your mileage will obviously vary. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

People just had reviews saying they were told no compass was even printed on their trip.

Shame on those reviewers reporting what they were experiencing on their cruise. What were they thinking?  Cheerleaders don't want to hear that..............

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Shame on those reviewers reporting what they were experiencing on their cruise. What were they thinking?  Cheerleaders don't want to hear that..............

Not a cheerleader but I've done multiple ships even Bella cruise, on oasis and then a week later 10 day radiance. I havent yet found a ship I couldn't get the printed version. That's why people keep posting to ask stewards to leave it. There are no rcl ships that dont have it somewhere. .. my opinion.

Name a ship where it's not available... if you ask. 

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Not a cheerleader but I've done multiple ships even Bella cruise, on oasis and then a week later 10 day radiance. I havent yet found a ship I couldn't get the printed version. That's why people keep posting to ask stewards to leave it. There are no rcl ships that dont have it somewhere. .. my opinion.

Post #10 in this thread is one person who couldn't get one.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Radience of the Seas last October.  We were having trouble accessing it from the app so went to GS for a paper copy.  No dice.  Said that none were being printed.  They even went searching to see if a few hard copies had been made but couldn't find any.  Then they spent 10 minutes trying to bring it up for us on our phone but it just wasn't working so we all gave up.  I'm sure they were glad to see us go away.

Luckily, for the days before and after that, the compass worked fine on the app.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

Post doesn't confirm they asked... But rather implies they thought it wasn't available

Maybe they'll clarify

Can confirm we asked. Both our steward and guest services. Both times redirected to the website. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have only been on Allure and Adventure so I can only speak to those two ships, but on our first day when we met the cabin steward we requested the hard copy of the cruise compass and we received it every day.  My next cruise is on Voyager so I have no clue if we will get it or not but we will request it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tiggerontheseas said:

Radience of the Seas last October.  We were having trouble accessing it from the app so went to GS for a paper copy.  No dice.  Said that none were being printed.  They even went searching to see if a few hard copies had been made but couldn't find any.  Then they spent 10 minutes trying to bring it up for us on our phone but it just wasn't working so we all gave up.  I'm sure they were glad to see us go away.

Luckily, for the days before and after that, the compass worked fine on the app.

They must have changed since you were on.  We were on Radiance for 3 weeks in January and received one every day.

11 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Seen on another board: 

"On Symphony recently, we didn't see a single one, even at guest services. The rack was empty.  We were told they didn't have any, anywhere"

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, winstoda said:

Hours around the ship have been reduced. This was a bummer. 

What does this mean?  I haven't been on a cruise after Covid but will probably be unimpressed at the changes.   I didn't even like it when they started with the wrapped butter pats and the prepackaged half and half.

Just got off Navigator (March 27), and it was our first cruise post Covid.  We actually had housekeeping twice a day.  Received Compass from room steward after we requested.  Food was the main thing we noticed that was different (less variety, smaller portions, not as tasty). Still a good value, and we understand the reasons for cost cutting, but it was pretty noticable.

19 hours ago, winstoda said:

I get compasses all the time.  Just ask our cabin person to leave them or I go to the Guest Service Desk and ask.  I have done the Qcode and that was fine also.

Our cabin person asked us if we wanted morning or evening service.  We opted for evening and even got towel animals

Food is subjective of course, but my husband really likes the new menus.  

We have not noticed any reduced hours on the ship, but then we are always in bed by 11 for the most part.

Glad you did not let it ruin your trip.  We have cruised multiple times on Royal - at least 15 since August 2021 - and have wonderful times.  Changes happen all over the place and we just go with the flow.

Edited by karena1

2 hours ago, Wanna Be Retired said:

I have only been on Allure and Adventure so I can only speak to those two ships, but on our first day when we met the cabin steward we requested the hard copy of the cruise compass and we received it every day.  My next cruise is on Voyager so I have no clue if we will get it or not but we will request it.

We just got off Voyager and our cabin person left a hard copy of the compass every evening for us.

Edited by karena1