Flight Guidance on RSSC Cruise Bangkok to Bali - Nov 23 to Dec 8th

TheShag

13 minutes ago, TheShag said:

good point! Is it fair to assume that RSSC would be amenable to booking me on whatever flight I choose should the amount be equal to what their cruise air credit is [in this case, $7800 p.p. CAD]?

No.  They will book what is under contract.  It is possible that they might buy a ticket on the spot market, but would probably then add on a profit markup.  Why are you insisting you go through the cruiseline, when you can buy this yourself?  (The answer to that question is telling)

13 minutes ago, TheShag said:

also, is there a general rule of thumb these days as to a MINIMUM layover time given the state of the airline and supporting infrastructure [baggage, customs, immigration, air traffic control]?

Every airline and every airport have what is known as MCT.  Minimum Connection Time.  They are calculated to deal with the specifics of the airline combined with the specific airport.  So there is no one general MCT.

For example, the MCT for Air Canada is different at Toronto vs Vancouver vs Montreal vs Calgary vs where ever.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BBWC said:

Just to clarify, it is USD6,180.

Well, this loops me back to a broken record that I'll inflict on you.  (Flyertalker knows the shtick, so apologies.)

Where else do you plan to travel in the year leading up to or following the SE Asia cruise?  Cruises in the Caribbean or Scandinavia?  Or the Mediterranean or Alaska or...?  Because, with that much credit, you could purchase a round-the-world ticket that would allow up to 16 business class flights over a 12 month period.   

Without going into the details (of which there are many) it goes like this:  You purchase the ticket through a member airline of one of the two alliances (Star Alliance and Oneworld) that offer these products.  The ticket requires you to cross both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans in the same direction, with no doubling back between continents (there are some exceptions) but you can zigzag and double back within a given continent, no problem.  The Star Alliance RTW tickets are priced according to how many miles you fly; the main Oneworld product is priced according to how many continents you touch in the course of the 12-month lifespan of the ticket.  A trip like yours would incude three continents - North America, Asia and Europe (in order to fulfill the requirement of crossing both oceans.)  

These tickets are priced very differently depending on where you begin and end the trip, not where you live.  For example, a 3-continent business class ticket with Oneworld, with travel beginning and ending in Canada, carries a base price of CAD10,199.  However, the same ticket beginning and ending in, say, Norway, carries a base price of CAD6766 (US$5054.)  From Tokyo, the same ticket costs US$4939.  (Taxes and fees will add typically 15% - 20% to those base prices, depending on specific airline fees and airport/departure taxes etc.)  

Now of course you'd need to get to the "origination" point on your own, but by starting someplace overseas, you could leverage the ticket's features in your favor.  For example, say you fly to Oslo on your own dime before the Asian cruise.  Land at OSL and check in at the gate for your first RTW flight (for which you already possess the e-ticket bought months ahead of time.)  Fly from Norway to Thailand (via any number of connection points - Istanbul, Zurich, London, Doha...) and do the cruise.  When you're done, fly (this time with tailwinds) back to North America - maybe Cathay Pacific suites via Hong Kong, or JAL via Tokyo, or via Singapore, wherever.  

But here's where the RTW comes into its own.  You're allowed 16 flights, so treat home as a stopover, then weeks or months later (as long as it's less than 12 months from the first flight) use the same ticket to go someplace else, between home and Norway, where the loop ends.  California?  Alaska?  Caribbean cruise?  Or maybe you want to cruise in the Mediterranean or see some fjords, or visit Israel or Egypt or Morocco.  Use the same ticket before it turns into a pumpkin back in Oslo.  The five grand (US) that you've spent is good for two, or three, or even four separate trips, sending the cost-effectiveness through the roof.  Here's an imaginary route beginning and ending in Norway that includes side trips to Alaska and Florida following your return from Asia, then (later) a return to Norway via London and Israel.  It's just one of an infinity of possibilities.  There are also scenarios that include Australia and New Zealand, South America or Africa, making for even greater per-flight savings than the basic RTW shown in the example.  

I'll close this now, but if this resonates, feel free to ask away.  

• Thanks 1

All I will add is that I would seriously consider adding an extra night on the front end.  Yes, I saw that you plan to spend 1 night; I'm saying think about staying 2. 

If there are any issues that cause delay or cancellation on the front end, and you have to get rebooked, you can lose that one night and arrive on boarding day, which will be very stressful.  It's happened to me and it's not fun.  Usually having 1 night to spare is fine but when you are literally going to the other side of the planet, I'd plan on 2.  Just my .02

• Like 1

First of all, total WOW!!!!! to Gardyloo. I had NO idea of a RTW ticket. My mind is racing!!! Also, o waterbug123, thank you as that is on the table right now with discussions with my wife. To each and al, a sincere thank you for all your suggestions!

On 4/15/2023 at 1:38 PM, 1982CruzStart said:

TheShag,

I am surprised you are not getting as much detailed help as i have seen these wonderful posters give others in the past. 

EVA flights that might work for you on the dates you stated.

Not sure about EVA but it is worth checking the options out.  

Damn, it's almost like my response immediately above yours was:

On 4/14/2023 at 9:54 AM, Zach1213 said:

EVA Air via Taipei has a 1h50 connection on the way out, and a massive 23 hour connection on the way back, but that just opens the door to grab a hotel and spend a few hours in wonderful Taipei. 

So those are the two routes I would personally go down if I were in your shoes. If I had to choose one - Taipei with the long connection. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TheShag said:

First of all, total WOW!!!!! to Gardyloo. I had NO idea of a RTW ticket. My mind is racing!!! Also, o waterbug123, thank you as that is on the table right now with discussions with my wife. To each and al, a sincere thank you for all your suggestions!

I wanted to mention that you receive full frequent flyer mileage/points credit with RTW tickets (including premium cabin bonuses) and that it's quite easy to achieve elite status in most frequent flyer programs with one business class RTW trip.  This leverages your investment further.  

When my wife and I were serial RTW customers (a few years ago before she passed) we would purchase a business class RTW in year 1 and use it for both international and domestic travel, racking up the miles in the process.  Then during year 2 we'd spend those miles on premium travel (when possible) - overseas, domestic, whatever - then buy another RTW at the end of year 2 and use it for year 3 travel, rinse and repeat.  

Thus our roughly $5000 - $6000 investment in travel would generate around 20 premium-cabin flights over 2 years, for an average of $250 - $300 per flight.  That's not bad for Seattle to Chicago, but it's pretty terrific for Los Angeles to Sydney or Cape Town to London.  

It's why I recommend that people develop a travel "master plan" - maybe 3 to 5 years out, so that you can stage your bucket list destinations in such a way that you optimize your travel investment.  It's sort of like overlaying your bucket list with a calendar - turning a "what if" world into one with a timetable.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just to close the loop. Called Air Dept shorthy after the 210 day booking window opened. Got through real quick! All my suggestions were accepted as I desired. VERY impressed with RSSC Air Dept!