Flight Guidance on RSSC Cruise Bangkok to Bali - Nov 23 to Dec 8th

TheShag

Newbie here.

My wife and I are taking the above cruise departing and returning CYYZ. Regent offers J class for this cruise. Not sure what to expect as I am sure that they want to do it as cheaply as possible. As we are prepared to pay the deviation fee, the air will open for 'negotiation' on Apr 25 so I want to get my ducks in line and tried to decipher the 'matrix' website.

Would like to arrive In Bangkok in the morning of the 24 to enjoy the pre-cruise stay before boarding on the 25th. Similarly, looking forward to enjoying post cruise in Bali with check out in the afternoon of the 8th. Given the new 'back and forth' charge of $75/pp, others have suggested going in with the 'best 3' itineraries. I am at a loss as to what is reasonable as far as layovers, # of stops, departure/arrival times. We are sure experienced RSSC cruisers could hopefully help me out how best to present some schedules that are reasonable for both 'sides'!

Sincere thanks to all for suggestions!

Everything I am reporting here is easily available to you via matrix.ita (do a Google search), and based on flying out on Nov 22, landing Nov 24. Retuning from Bali on Dec 8.

Going to BKK, you have a number of one stop options...connecting un Dubai, Zurich, Vienna, Munich, with total travel times of 25 to 30 hours. I don't have experience with all the airlines involved, but most are very good. Ideally, I think I would try for Emirates through Dubai, but there are good options.

Coming home is a lot more complicated. Coming back requires minimum 2 stops. Again, you have a choice of several airlines, But I think Emirates or Swiss are your best bets.

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Coming home is a lot more complicated. Coming back requires minimum 2 stops.

I can see a number of one-stop itineraries on the way back. Even if you discard connections at ICN (Korean Air), HKG (Garuda on the first sector) or TPE (very long connection time), that leaves a decent Emirates one-stop itinerary (EK369 --> EK241) with a 2:45 connection at DXB.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

I can see a number of one-stop itineraries on the way back. Even if you discard connections at ICN (Korean Air), HKG (Garuda on the first sector) or TPE (very long connection time), that leaves a decent Emirates one-stop itinerary (EK369 --> EK241) with a 2:45 connection at DXB.

Hmmm....guess I didn't go deep enough.

38 minutes ago, TheShag said:

Great input. Thanks folks. It all comes down to the big question that I have is whether RSSC will ONLY give me the absolute cheapest itinerary or not.

I don't have any experience with RSSC, but, compared to the mainstream cruise lines, I would expect their flight program to be better. I might be totally wrong...just my sense.

• Like 1

Not counting connection times, the closest thing to a "straight line" between YYZ and BKK, and between DPS and YYZ, would be through somewhere in East Asia (Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Taipei, Beijing, and Shanghai). So that's the way I would personally go. 

I believe your best bet on connections, weighing out price + time, would be either Seoul or Taipei. Seoul offers a flight with about a 5 hour connection there, and a short 1 hour on the way back...not ideal, but worth a shot in my book (especially with J class priority). EVA Air via Taipei has a 1h50 connection on the way out, and a massive 23 hour connection on the way back, but that just opens the door to grab a hotel and spend a few hours in wonderful Taipei. 

So those are the two routes I would personally go down if I were in your shoes. If I had to choose one - Taipei with the long connection. 

• Like 1

TheShag,

I am surprised you are not getting as much detailed help as i have seen these wonderful posters give others in the past. 

I did a quick look at ITA matrix and then onto the individual airline websites and based on a very brief look i found AC and EVA flights that might work for you on the dates you stated. I know Regent uses AC at times because i have flown with them to and from Regent cruises, most recently in Jan/Feb 2023. Not sure about EVA but it is worth checking the options out.  

Spend some time doing some research based on what advice you have been given so far.  Good luck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1982CruzStart said:

TheShag,

I am surprised you are not getting as much detailed help as i have seen these wonderful posters give others in the past. 

Well, the question was pretty vague -- another of the "what's the best" questions.

1 hour ago, 1982CruzStart said:

I did a quick look at ITA matrix and then onto the individual airline websites and based on a very brief look i found AC and EVA flights that might work for you on the dates you stated. I know Regent uses AC at times because i have flown with them to and from Regent cruises, most recently in Jan/Feb 2023. Not sure about EVA but it is worth checking the options out.  

Spend some time doing some research based on what advice you have been given so far.  Good luck. 

Well, is the issue fastest?  Fewest connections?  Best inflight product?  Best ground experience?

If I had my druthers, I'd be on any of these options:

Qatar Q-suites through Doha

Etihad through Abu Dhabi

Emirates through Dubai - if on A380 equipment

Cathay through HKG

Singapore through NYC, LAX, SFO or SEA

EVA Air through Taipei

ANA through Tokyo

Yes, they may involve extra stops and longer connections.  But for me, an extra leg is just an opportunity for a great inflight product.  Which is higher on my list than "fastest".  The Q-Suite is just a wonderful experience.  The EK A380 is spacious and a delight.  ANA service is top-notch.

On the ground experience also matters to me.  The Qatar lounge at Doha is a superb way to spend time enroute, as are the lounges of CX, EK, SQ and others.

So...time to narrow down what your priorities are, what are the deal makers and the deal breakers.  There is no one right solution, just many good options to consider and prioritize.

• Like 1

Thank you FlyerTalker.   Those are all great suggestions and advice.  I was hoping you would add your 2 cents based on the limited information you were given.  You and some others on this forum always have such valuable information. 

Now TheShag needs to do further research on the airline websites to determine if there are any J fare seats available on the routing options that they prefer. 

Regent has told their passengers that if they wish to deviate they need to look for routings where lowest or non-refundable business class fares are available. There is no way to really know who they have contracted with until you talk to them and now when you deviate they charge $75pp everytime you talk to them after the initial deviation call.  You really need to know your preferences and as many specific flight routings that you are willing to accept before you make that initial call. 

• Like 1

Thanks. I have been doing lots of research and are aware of all flight options. Thanks to all who have gone and checked all that out for me! I have gone and checked available seats on airline websites. I have looked a lounge facilities along the way. i have looked at the equipment planned and their respective ratings. Etc. etc. Notwithstanding what FylerTalker suggests, I was not vague but was looking for input as to whether the cruise line will only suggest the cheapest flight [mentioned twice already. To reiterate, looking for input if air dept think its reasonable to depart at 1:00 a.m. like one of the options? Whether they think its reasonable to have a 22 hour layover like 1 of the options? Whether a 1 hour plane change on a routing is reasonable? I can navigate googleflights and matrix as good as any travel agent. What I'm looking for is experience with air departments. If it comes down to 'the lowest price is the law', and any and all flight arrangements are on my own dime, then my question is answered. At that point, I can do the calculations to determine whether the suggestions that FlyerTalker will cost me!

I'm sort of curious.  Does RSSC offer a "cruise only" option, and if so, what is the difference between that and the air-inclusive price?  I'm not saying you could find a better deal, but it might give you a lot more flexibility.  

1 hour ago, TheShag said:

If it comes down to 'the lowest price is the law', and any and all flight arrangements are on my own dime, then my question is answered.

There is no answer to that.  Why?  Because what will be offered is product of the inventory available under the cruiseline air contract and the demand that passengers will have between various cities.  It will also be a function of the amount of "spot market" allowance the air department has to work with, as well as their ability to offer non-contract ticket at what would be unknown prices to the consumer.

Also, even if they will be offering only the "lowest priced" tickets, you and the public have NO idea what that is.  Because they would be dealing with the "lowest priced" tickets that are available to them ON A NEGOTIATED BASIS.  And you are looking at the retail published price of tickets available to the general public.  Apples and oranges.

Finally, it is the internal policies of a cruiseline air department that evaluates what is reasonable.  And those policies would fall into the category of a proprietary business trade secret - and is not something that any cruiseline, to my knowledge, publicly divulges to the world.

5 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

I'm sort of curious.  Does RSSC offer a "cruise only" option, and if so, what is the difference between that and the air-inclusive price?  I'm not saying you could find a better deal, but it might give you a lot more flexibility.  

Yes, Regent provides a credit for not using their flights. For this cruise, the credit is $6,180 per person, so it may be worthwhile to check if booking independently will get you a better price.

Well, in that case, I'd be all over the Turkish Airlines option.  A bit over CAD5000 for a round trip, so you would pocket over a grand in savings.  Even more if that $6180 is USD.

YYZ-IST-BKK and DPS-IST-YYZ on the return.  The return has a long connection, which would allow you to take one of the Turkish Airline tours of Istanbul.

Or, if you want, you can take advantage of their free stopover program.  No charge for breaking your trip in IST (in either direction), plus TK gives you a free hotel room for your stay. 

For CAD6700, you can take the EVA option.  YYZ-TPE-BKK and then DPS-TPE-YYZ coming back.  Almost a full day connect in TPE, which gives you a great opportunity to stay overnight and have a full day to enjoy Taipei.  IIRC, at one time EVA also had a free stopover program, but not sure if they have it now.  In any case, you get a full day there without it.

That works out to over 8200 CAD, so you can have some excellent choices on your own.  Play around with ITA Matrix and see what your options are.

One other thought....don't limit yourself to just one day in BKK or DPS on either end.  Take a few and enjoy the area.  And in DPS, give some consideration to a hotel called The Stones by Marriott.

Great round of feedback, especially FlyerTalker! I will check out the stopover program, but I thought it required a 20 hr layover to qualify. The return leg is a bit troublesome as Turkish does not fly that route daily. Need to see if i want to cut my Bali beach portion of the trip short!

34 minutes ago, TheShag said:

the credit allowed, since I am paying CAD is $7800 which is still pretty good. the post program includes 3 days at the Ritz in Bali. Sounds nice! Hard to leave early for the Turkish air flight!!

You are thinking the wrong way....rather than view it as cutting the stay short, stay another day or two.  With the money you save on the air, you can put some of it towards another hotel night.

TK flies DPS-IST five days a week, only skipping Tuesday and Saturday.

TK has several different promo programs.  There are the tours and hotels for longer connects, plus there is the free stopover program for staying longer than 24 hours in IST.

good point! Is it fair to assume that RSSC would be amenable to booking me on whatever flight I choose should the amount be equal to what their cruise air credit is [in this case, $7800 p.p. CAD]? also, is there a general rule of thumb these days as to a MINIMUM layover time given the state of the airline and supporting infrastructure [baggage, customs, immigration, air traffic control]? Thanks again!