Large rock throws wrench into Skagway’s cruise ship schedule

Boo's Mom

April 12, 2023 article from Alaska Public Media/Haines, Alaska

Some cruise lines have misgivings about tying onto part of a Skagway dock because of the danger posed by a large rock high above it. One solution would still allow all scheduled ships to come to town this season, but it would mean shorter visits for some passengers.

Last summer, rockslides from the hill above the railroad dock in Skagway caused cruise lines to cancel some dockings there through the end of the season. Borough Manager Brad Ryan says the cruise companies seem mostly satisfied with new mitigation measures in place to catch falling rocks. But one large rock, known locally as ship rock, could fall — and that scenario has cruise lines reconsidering their docking schedules.

“We have dual monitors we are going to have on it so we are comfortable,” Ryan said. “But some of the cruise lines are not.”

The large rock looms over a short section of dock close to town. The remainder of the dock is long enough to accommodate two cruise ships, provided one of them is relatively small. But on some days, both scheduled ships are too large to fit together. Ryan says the cruise lines have decided that on those days, each ship will spend half a day in port.

“The cruise lines have indicated that there are certain days that they are going to hot berth,” Ryan said. “Which means one ship will come in early, be here for about six hours or so, it will pull off, and then the second ship will come in and  be here from about two o clock until the evening.”

This arrangement might be necessary about 50 times this season, but Ryan says the cruise lines are looking at ways to fit the longer ships into the shorter space.

“They are ordering more bollards, trying to slide the ships back,” Ryan said. “They are talking about coming in and flipping around so that the port side goes to the dock. There is a whole bunch of conversations trying to cut those hot berths down — nobody wants it.”

The borough administration says the slopes above the docks will be monitored closely. The municipality is hiring people spend the summer living in wall tents east of the slide area, where they’ll spend eight to ten hours a day watching for rockslides. They’ll be equipped with radios so they can alert traffic handlers below if they see or hear rocks starting to move.

“There is about 12 to 20 seconds from the time you notice a rockslide up there before it would reach the docks,” Ryan said. “And so that would be enough time for a bus to pass through, and obviously, if we started to hear one we’d stop the busses beforehand.”

Ryan says these measures are redundant, as a series of nets and barriers are being set up on the slope to slow down and catch any falling rock. He says those systems are on track to be ready by next Tuesday, when the first cruise ship of the season will dock.

The link to the above article dated Apr 12, 2023.

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2023 at 12:00 PM, jbooth2099 said:

How does one train to be a rock watcher?

The first time we went to Alaska, we were given this advice by the Wildlife Naturalist on board. She said: "Watch the brown rocks on the shore, if one moves, it's a bear!"

So, am I qualified for the job?

• Haha 1

Just posted about this in the other Skagway thread. It looks like Celebrity is pulling Skagway off itineraries, at least for now. We sale in September and our excursion hasn't been canceled yet, but it's now a sea day in the itinerary. Others with earlier Celebrity sailings are seeing the same thing. Bummed if this turns into a sea day only without another stop (Sitka?) or additional glacier viewing. 

3 hours ago, PH2 said:

Just posted about this in the other Skagway thread. It looks like Celebrity is pulling Skagway off itineraries, at least for now. We sale in September and our excursion hasn't been canceled yet, but it's now a sea day in the itinerary. Others with earlier Celebrity sailings are seeing the same thing. Bummed if this turns into a sea day only without another stop (Sitka?) or additional glacier viewing. 

Which Celebrity ship are you sailing on that the Skagway stop got cancelled?

Solstice. And other Solstice sailings earlier in the year are showing the same, according to people in the Solstice roll call forum. Not sure how many Celebrity ships are doing Alaska this year.

16 minutes ago, PH2 said:

Solstice. And other Solstice sailings earlier in the year are showing the same, according to people in the Solstice roll call forum. Not sure how many Celebrity ships are doing Alaska this year.

I am sailing The Millie this July and Skagway is still on my itinerary. Did Celebrity send out emails with these changes? From what I am reading it appears to be only Solstice with the port cut? 

Agree its a huge bummer! A change to Haines or Sitka would be much better. 

Patty 

Haven't received any emails about an itinerary change or excursion cancellation, but a lot of us on Solstice sailings this summer/fall show "day at sea" on our app daily planner or website itinerary. It just changed within the past few days. Hopefully they are trying to figure something out before they send notice of any changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I now have TWO Day 5s on my itinerary (on the website) - one is Skagway and the other is At Sea.

This would make sense if the stop is being cut short. According to an article I read about the issues with Ship Rock, cruise lines are splitting the port day with another cruise line instead of being in port for the entire day. Maybe that's what is happening here.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 4:15 PM, PH2 said:

Can you share the link to the announcement that Celebrity is removing Skagway off itineraries?

See my other posts, just above. No announcement, and now Skagway is back as Day 5 but we have a second Day 5 on our itinerary that says At Sea. My best guess is we are splitting Day 5 as half port call/half sailing and Skagway is being reduced down to a shorter stay. But nothing official from Celebrity at all, just changes me and others are seeing in the app or the website in our planner.

On 4/15/2023 at 2:57 PM, SightCRR said:

The golf balls in the trees are likely bald eagles. I hope the plan works but something tells me there might be a close call then everything will change. sightcrr. 

The painted white rocks on the hillside might be Dahl Sheep!

I believe whether your ship will be affected depends on their assigned berth.  I’ve heard only ships scheduled for the railroad dock will be affected, but those assigned to the Ore or Broadway docks shouldn’t be affected.  We’re on the Celebrity Millennium at the end of May and scheduled for the Ore Dock, so hopeful we won’t miss the port. 

8 hours ago, Mauidiver said:

I believe whether your ship will be affected depends on their assigned berth.  I’ve heard only ships scheduled for the railroad dock will be affected, but those assigned to the Ore or Broadway docks shouldn’t be affected.  We’re on the Celebrity Millennium at the end of May and scheduled for the Ore Dock, so hopeful we won’t miss the port. 

I'm guessing that certain cruise lines have more pull than others, in the Alaskan ports, based on the number of ships they have there and the number of passengers they deliver to the economy of each of the towns. Thus, I wouldn't count on the current dock assignments if they decide to close the railroad dock for the Summer.

I would HIGHLY doubt that the Railroad Dock will be closed. (Unless they have a problem which forces it to be so)

The city has worked hard on the mitigation.

They have plans of how to get people off the ships.

Skagway is doing their best, in my opinion. It is just tricky in the logistics.

I just think it is wise to watch the dock schedules on claalaska (because they absolutely could change) and make your plans accordingly.

If your ship is at the Railroad Dock and you want to do an independent excursion, just make sure that you are realistic about the time it will take to get off the ship.

Priority will go to the ship sponsored excursions in tender or bus situations like this one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mauidiver said:

My understanding is that not all docks can accommodate the larger vessels. I’ve specifically heard that the Ore Dock can’t handle the bigger ships, which is why a ship the size of Millennium is assigned there.  

The Broadway Dock has a berthing distance of 800 feet, the Ore Dock has 1000 feet, and the Railroad dock has 1850 feet.