I feel cheated by cruising opportunities in Australia

32 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I seem to recall going to an island from Gladstone.

Heron Island is 2.5 hours by boat from Gladstone. The ferry leaves Gladstone at 9.30 and leaves Heron Island for the return trip at 12.45. The timing means it wouldn't work as a day excursion.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Heron Island is 2.5 hours by boat from Gladstone. The ferry leaves Gladstone at 9.30 and leaves Heron Island for the return trip at 12.45. The timing means it wouldn't work as a day excursion.

Yes currently not suitable for cruise ships.  Thanks. We went by ferry to Heron Island. It used to be the most beautiful island right on the Reef.  When I looked to go again it had been ruined by current management. So We flew from Hervey Bay to Lady Elliot Island over Fraser Island via Bundaberg return.  This Island is pure joy, loved and well run and spotlessly clean.  I want to go again. It gets heavily booked with repeat visitors.

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes currently not suitable for cruise ships.  Thanks. We went by ferry to Heron Island. It used to be the most beautiful island right on the Reef.  When I looked to go again it had been ruined by current management. So We flew from Hervey Bay to Lady Elliot Island over Fraser Island via Bundaberg return.  This Island is pure joy, loved and well run and spotlessly clean.  I want to go again. It gets heavily booked with repeat visitors.

Islands like Heron and Lady Elliott won't ever be suitable for visits by a cruise ship. By a 'cruise ship' I mean those currently operating here with 1,900 passengers plus. What would they all do? The only activities are snorkelling, diving, coral viewing by glass bottom boat, and of course, it would be a tender port. When passengers visit Port Douglas (for instance) there are multiple options for tours.

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

Islands like Heron and Lady Elliott won't ever be suitable for visits by a cruise ship. By a 'cruise ship' I mean those currently operating here with 1,900 passengers plus. What would they all do? The only activities are snorkelling, diving, coral viewing by glass bottom boat, and of course, it would be a tender port. When passengers visit Port Douglas (for instance) there are multiple options for tours.

When I talk about cruise ships I refer to ships with 100 - 800 passengers.  On small ships the cruise is the tour.  Excursions are by tender to see things like aboriginal rock drawings or crocodiles and birds. close up.

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

When I talk about cruise ships I refer to ships with 100 - 800 passengers.  On small ships the cruise is the tour.  Excursions are by tender to see things like aboriginal rock drawings or crocodiles and birds. close up.

I regard the smaller ships (100-800) as expedition ships, not as cruise ships. The way I see a cruise ship, the ship itself with its entertainment and activities, is as much a destination as the ports. I have been on an expedition ship (99 pax) to Antarctica, and it was a totally different experience on board compared with all the cruise ships I have been on.

If the larger ships (say 1,900 passengers +) aren't cruise ships, what are they?

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I regard the smaller ships (100-800) as expedition ships, not as cruise ships. The way I see a cruise ship, the ship itself with its entertainment and activities, is as much a destination as the ports. I have been on an expedition ship (99 pax) to Antarctica, and it was a totally different experience on board compared with all the cruise ships I have been on.

If the larger ships (say 1,900 passengers +) aren't cruise ships, what are they?

They are all cruise ships according to my last Captain.  Agree it is different but so is a mega ship with 4000-5000 passengers.  The size of

these limits what they can do in Australia and the islands.  All have entertainment and activities.  In Antarctica, on board we had lectures. A science lab, plus kayaking around small islands, sleeping out in the snow overnight, visits to international bases, and old ruins, even a shop and Post Office, plus visits to lots and lots of penguins!!

33 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Walking softly on the reef is magical. Gliding along a long rope viewing the colourful fish, living with birds which call the island home,

watching turtles lay their eggs and later watching the eggs hatch.  Enjoy sunrise and sunsets.  
I have stayed at Port Douglas and done lots of tours from there such as Daintree and Cape Trubulation. On my port visit I just walked around PD and on the beach.  Paddling was limited because of stingers.

Note - Swimming or snorkeling above the reef is fine but people shouldn't be walking or standing on the reefs, not only  does it damage the reef killing it, the person may cut themselves and get a bad infection from the bacteria that is living in the corals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

Sometimes you can have too many ports. I refuse to get on any ship that stops at Phillip Island :classic_tongue:

Well I thought the same thing, however we did one 3 weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised.  Must admit the last time I was there was around 55 years ago!  I got the tender and then there was a free shuttle from Rhyll into Cowes, about a 20 minute drive.  All very organised.  I just wandered up and down the main street and then along the beach/promenade.  People very friendly and a good selection of shops and cafes.  

Son said Ugh and stayed onboard.  Overseas guests were excited to go to the penguin parade although there was some very cold people who had to wait on the pier for the last launch back to the ship.  There were plenty of ship excursions organised.  Would be happy to go again.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

But cruise ships used to regularly stop at places like Lifou, the Isle of Pines and Mystery Island which are all tender ports and all of which have very little to do other than snorkelling, swimming, etc. They were/are always very popular ports.

31 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Note - Swimming or snorkeling above the reef is fine but people shouldn't be walking or standing on the reefs, not only  does it damage the reef killing it, the person may cut themselves and get a bad infection from the bacteria that is living in the corals.

When I was young everyone walked on the reef, straight from a boat. But we were taught not to damage the reef.  I’m glad I had that

magical experience.  Now at LEI you walk out to the rope on sand then glide along the rope face down to see parts of reef and fish. My daughter swims out to the edge of the reef proper.  On my cruise swimmers jumped off the small tenders and swam/snorkelled on top of the reef.  Staff checked that no one damaged the reef nor went too far.  

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

When I was young everyone walked on the reef, straight from a boat. But we were taught not to damage the reef.  I’m glad I had that

magical experience.  Now at LEI you walk out to the rope on sand then glide along the rope face down to see parts of reef and fish. My daughter swims out to the edge of the reef proper.  On my cruise swimmers jumped off the small tenders and swam/snorkelled on top of the reef.  Staff checked that no one damaged the reef nor went too far.  

I was horrified the last time I went ashore at the Isle of Pines. There were so many idiots trampling over the reefs close to shore. Most of them were just walking around with a mask on peering into the water every so often.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But cruise ships used to regularly stop at places like Lifou, the Isle of Pines and Mystery Island which are all tender ports and all of which have very little to do other than snorkelling, swimming, etc. They were/are always very popular ports.

Bigger ships currently go to Moreton Island from Sydney for passengers to swim around the wrecks.  Trouble is sharks love the wrecks also. I’ve seen five sharks there from the air.

25 minutes ago, bazshirl2 said:

Agree. Whilst having been to PI many times we enjoyed the day similar to your experience. The penguins are the attraction to overseas cruisers.

At one of the Falkland Islands, when I

sat down to have a rest, a Penguin came out of a hole between my legs. I had no idea I was sitting in their home.  On another Falkland Island, there was a colony of penguins which shared their home with albatross.  They ignored the passengers and felt like helicopters when they landed. I agree penguins are what people come to see.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Well I thought the same thing, however we did one 3 weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised.  Must admit the last time I was there was around 55 years ago!  I got the tender and then there was a free shuttle from Rhyll into Cowes, about a 20 minute drive.  All very organised.  I just wandered up and down the main street and then along the beach/promenade.  People very friendly and a good selection of shops and cafes.  

Son said Ugh and stayed onboard.  Overseas guests were excited to go to the penguin parade although there was some very cold people who had to wait on the pier for the last launch back to the ship.  There were plenty of ship excursions organised.  Would be happy to go again.

Secret is lots of warm layers plus scarves and beanies and gloves, if you are a Queenslander, otherwise I can’t last the distance in the cold no matter how good it is.  
I’d love to visit.  Are they fairy penguins like at Victor Harbour, SA?

43 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There is a bit more to do at Lifou and Isle of Pines, both of which are larger than Heron or Lady Elliott. Mystery Island is very small with not much to do other than have a 'beach day'.

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Secret is lots of warm layers plus scarves and beanies and gloves, if you are a Queenslander, otherwise I can’t last the distance in the cold no matter how good it is.  

Phillip Island has the most famous 'penguin parade' in Australia. We first went there in 1965 and were the only people on the beach. In more recent years it has become really big business.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Phillip Island has the most famous 'penguin parade' in Australia. We first went there in 1965 and were the only people on the beach. In more recent years it has become really big business.

Have to wait for hours while they all come back from all the ship tours. Ship didn't leave to about 11 pm that day we ported in March 2023. But they saw lots of penguins. 

Edited by icat2000
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

There used to be a thriving fairy penguin colony at Victor Harbour - unfortunatley decimated to almost none now.

5 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

yes, true MM - on Kangaroo Island too - which I think have also decreased a lot.

I stayed near where the ferry penguins were on KI but didn’t want to disturb them in a populated area.

Do they know why the numbers are decreasing?  Population/dogs ?  We have same problem with koalas and dogs.  A Qld

Premier lost an election re road proposal through koala population between Brisbane and GC.  The biggest threat is habitat loss.