Emergency contact land to ship help please

So mom is 97, in good health, but I have to be prepared.  I gave my brother the contact information as provided from RCCL site.  Does anyone know how this works as we are never in our room to accept a call?  Does guest services forward a message to the room steward?  How do I know if my brother is calling me?

emergency contact.PNG

When I was working and we (no one did) didn't have smartphones I would call Royal and get the direct phone number and fax for the ship.  Not an 800 number so would've been pricey.  It was mainly for my office.  Never needed it. Don't know if they still give it out.

After saying this I would follow the previous poster and get a wifi package.  You would then be fully accessible.   Whatever you do, enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

ok folks, thanks.  Had no idea that a wifi package would do this.  I also have never used whatsapp, but will download it now and ask my brother to do the same, going to assume if I purchase the wifi, it will work in real-time.  But another stupid question from the internet illiterate, I always keep my phone on airplane mode.. so I get the ship wifi and sign on to that... I am safe from roaming? I can talk to my brother daily on whatsapp and not roam?

I'm OBVIOUSLY,  behind the IT times and appreciate this input from everyone.  May seem simple to folks, but I appreciate everyone helping my anxiety with this. I'm an old fart, please be patient with me. 

The number you posted is for Speedcast's Ship Dial service.

http://www.dialaship.com/

The person calling you enters a ship name and credit card.  It rings the ship operator (usually guest services).  The moment the call is answered by the ship the clock starts at $7.95 per minute.  They round up so 62 seconds is two minutes of charges.  On most ships they can transfer the caller to the cabin number provided or they can take a message and they will leave a voicemail on the cabin phone to call guest services for a message.

It's likely to result in a charge for the caller of around 2 - 3 minutes at a minimum so $16 to $25-ish and up from there depending how efficient they are explaining the situation and getting off the phone.    

If they were to be transferred and you happened to answer it's $8 per minute on top of the minute or two it took to get transferred so if you talk for 10 minutes think in the neighborhood of around $100.  Talk for 20 minutes?  $180-ish.

Your head may be spinning but think quick and get off the phone quick.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, nimbex1970 said:

ok folks, thanks.  Had no idea that a wifi package would do this.  I also have never used whatsapp, but will download it now and ask my brother to do the same, going to assume if I purchase the wifi, it will work in real-time.  But another stupid question from the internet illiterate, I always keep my phone on airplane mode.. so I get the ship wifi and sign on to that... I am safe from roaming? I can talk to my brother daily on whatsapp and not roam?

I'm OBVIOUSLY,  behind the IT times and appreciate this input from everyone.  May seem simple to folks, but I appreciate everyone helping my anxiety with this. I'm an old fart, please be patient with me. 

we are in our 70’s so we are not tech savvy either…..but this is what we do.

we purchase the ship’s WiFi package.  Once onboard put your phone on airplane mode and then turn on WiFi calling……you can then use your phone to make and receive calls, text or receive text and use your phone just as you were at home.

(we do not use WhatsApp as there is no need doing the above)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nimbex1970 said:

But another stupid question from the internet illiterate, I always keep my phone on airplane mode.. so I get the ship wifi and sign on to that... I am safe from roaming? I can talk to my brother daily on whatsapp and not roam?

Yes. In Airplane mode with WiFi on you are safe from roaming.  I have never used WhatsApp. I use WiFi calling which acts like I am on my domestic cell phone carrier. What cell carrier do you use? What kind of cell phone? What kind of phone does your brother have. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nimbex1970 said:

ok, brother and I are on whatsapp, I will purchase ship wifi.. now what do you do on island time?  Just pay for roaming?

we do not use our phones in port……as we don’t want to pay international charges…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Yes. In Airplane mode with WiFi on you are safe from roaming.  I have never used WhatsApp. I use WiFi calling which acts like I am on my domestic cell phone carrier. What cell carrier do you use? What kind of cell phone? What kind of phone does your brother have. 

we both have androids, 

32 minutes ago, vjmatty said:
2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Who is your cell carrier? 

excellent point, we will look into this, as my brother is reclusive and pays per minute.. We had sprint and it changed to Tmobile I belive.. I will check this out. This is the most important question as to my island time, we are doing the eastern route, but I have not checked with my cell phone company.  I will do this and warn my cheap brother about his choices.  you are the best, thank you for the reminder.  I'm getting lost in my check list of mom safety and forgot to do this!!!!

8 minutes ago, nimbex1970 said:

excellent point, we will look into this, as my brother is reclusive and pays per minute.. We had sprint and it changed to Tmobile I belive.. I will check this out. This is the most important question as to my island time, we are doing the eastern route, but I have not checked with my cell phone company.  I will do this and warn my cheap brother about his choices.  you are the best, thank you for the reminder.  I'm getting lost in my check list of mom safety and forgot to do this!!!!

It does not matter who your brother uses. It only matters who you use. Most T-Mobile cell plans include international data roaming and can have voice add ons but you should verify what plan you have. You would then only need a WiFi package to use on the ship. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

I think I have this all together, buy wifi, put on airplane mode, use ship internet, use whatsapp with my brother,  check my carrier for coverage in the islands. 

If anyone has other suggestions, please add.  To the folks that have helped me, I can't thank you enough,  I haven't sailed without mom in 15 years..at 97 she is too unsteady to join us after a hip fracture (while on a cruise) and recovery and I am just worried to be away.  Every reply has been so helpful as mom insists we go without her. Thank you all so much. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nimbex1970 said:

I think I have this all together, buy wifi, put on airplane mode, use ship internet, use whatsapp with my brother,  check my carrier for coverage in the islands. 

If anyone has other suggestions, please add.  To the folks that have helped me, I can't thank you enough,  I haven't sailed without mom in 15 years..at 97 she is too unsteady to join us after a hip fracture (while on a cruise) and recovery and I am just worried to be away.  Every reply has been so helpful as mom insists we go without her. Thank you all so much. 

don’t forget to also turn on WiFi calling in addition to airplane mode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It does not matter who your brother uses. It only matters who you use. Most T-Mobile cell plans include international data roaming and can have voice add ons but you should verify what plan you have. You would then only need a WiFi package to use on the ship. 

I appreciate you and all the time you spent helping me.  TY so much.