Random Silversea Questions - Door Decorations, Southampton Dock, & Binoculars

AandASailAway

We are going on our first Silversea cruise in a few months. We had booked the Moon for back in 2020 but then COVID shut everything down. We have a few questions.

• Do the all rooms come with binoculars and are they any good?
  • Are tasteful/minimal door decorations allowed?
  • Does anyone know what dock she will be at in Southampton?

Thank you for any answers provided. 

I can answer a couple of questions just based on my observations.  I’ve only seen binoculars on a  Four Seasons charter with SS in the Galapagos but then, they were actually among the gifts that we took home.  They were the smaller more compact style so not sure how good they really are.

I’ve never seen door decorations on a cruise ship before.  What would be the purpose?

Edited by Gourmet Gal

7 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I’ve never seen door decorations on a cruise ship before.  What would be the purpose?

The only decorations on doors that I can recall were little dots to denote occupants are quarantined!  

What sort of thing did you mean OP? I’m sure it wouldn’t be a problem as long as tasteful and no damage.

SS used to have binoculars in every room, but not been the case for some time now. I believe if you ask at GS, you should be able to get a short time loaner. I’ve seen that mentioned, but never done it.

Without knowing the cruise, it’s not possible to answer which terminal. Cruise mapper and what’s in port will give you those answers, though obviously things can change. Your cruise ticket will verify, but generally it’s a safe bet the what’s in port info for Southampton will be accurate.

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I can answer a couple of questions just based on my observations.  I’ve only seen binoculars on a  Four Seasons charter with SS in the Galapagos but then, they were actually among the gifts that we took home.  They were the smaller more compact style so not sure how good they really are.

This is a picture from our last Christmas cruise. We would not put this much or things this tacky on a Silversea door but this was a fun way to add a festive feel to our room and quickly identify our SR. 

On our first cruise after the shutdown, we put Thank You to the Crew in multiple languages on our door. It was much appreciated! 

It is common on some lines and not allowed on others. If allowed, the key is to use magnets, not tape to secure items to the door. Magnets will not damage the door.

For this trip we just want to use something simple making it easy to find our door. Something tasteful.

I have heard that swingers put a pineapple on the door. Not sure if that is true but we stay a way from pineapples! 

IMG_0434.JPG

24 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Believe the said pineapple needs to be displayed upside down. So I've heard anyway 🙂 

I usually bring 4 or 5 pineapples and put them upside down on other people's cabin doors.  

Makes the next morning breakfast an interesting show.

• Haha 7

46 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

I usually bring 4 or 5 pineapples and put them upside down on other people's cabin doors.  

I love this! I would never do it but I think it is a funny, and harmless prank. 

3 minutes ago, AandASailAway said:

I love this! I would never do it but I think it is a funny, and harmless prank. 

I wouldn't either.  As fun as it would be to do, it actually might cause some trouble.

2 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

Haha Love it, and they wouldn't even know they were doing the walk of shame!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, david63 said:

Forgive a silly question but why does anyone want to decorate their door? Can they not find their suite if they all look the same?

It's a very festive thing to do on a Christmas cruise and is fun.

I usually go round and collect all of the chocolate Santa's and put them outside a friends door.

It's always a good surprise when they get up and open the door in the morning.😁

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, david63 said:

Forgive a silly question but why does anyone want to decorate their door? Can they not find their suite if they all look the same?

It can save many hours and also possibly embarrasing situations for anyone dyslexic. Not as embarrassing of course as someone fiddling with your pinapples though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, david63 said:

Maybe because they see other people do it.

Is it more of a thing on family-type cruises? So far I haven't seen any decorated doors.

• Like 1