How Long Does it Take to Sail from the Port of New Orleans to the Gulf?

Djptcp

We will be sailing on Carnival out of the Port of New Orleans for the first time and wonder how long it takes to get to the open seas from the Port? It looks like a really long distance.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Djptcp said:

We will be sailing on Carnival out of the Port of New Orleans for the first time and wonder how long it takes to get to the open seas from the Port? It looks like a really long distance.

Thanks.

@Djptcp

Click here Leaving New Orleans. It is an oldie but goodie thread on the Ports of Call - New Orleans forum. Members have posted various times in the thread.

I notice you did not Follow this new thread of yours. suggest you use the Follow feature on any threads where you are interested in the new posts. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come looking for you as notifications. If you need more info on how to do it, please click here How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info).

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Happy sails,

Host Kat 

Its about 7 hours.  

FYI....you will be charged sales tax on drinks and food purchases during that time.  Also on the way back to NO, you will probably hit US waters around dinner time and the sales tax will start back up again.  

Edited by Liljo22

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/18/2023 at 8:44 AM, Liljo22 said:

Its about 7 hours.  

FYI....you will be charged sales tax on drinks and food purchases during that time.  Also on the way back to NO, you will probably hit US waters around dinner time and the sales tax will start back up again.  

Which states sales tax would be paid?  Interested to know because there are 6 states that border the Gulf.  We just did a cruise in Alaska and thought for sure we would be hit with a sales tax for AK especially when in port, but nope, no such tax was charged.

1 hour ago, roobqn said:

Which states sales tax would be paid?  Interested to know because there are 6 states that border the Gulf.  We just did a cruise in Alaska and thought for sure we would be hit with a sales tax for AK especially when in port, but nope, no such tax was charged.

Very few places in Alaska have local sales taxes. I think I remember that Juneau does. There's still big money coming into the state's coffers from the North Slope oil. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roobqn said:

Texas is especially agressive about taxes on liquor.

For example, when I was stationed at Fort Hood, there was a sign up sheet at the post liquor store.  Those living off post were to sign the sheet and pay a Texas State tax.  I never saw anyone volunteer to pay the additional taxes.