Caribbean Princess Smell

Dreamcruiser185

10 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

You see to be very interested, almost obsessive in respect to my comments.  

As I said, from time to time we have detected an odor in ships from Celebrity, RCCL, Carnival and Princess.  When we asked the crew we were told that it is involves processing of waste on board the ship.  When we have boarded ships of these lines in the past, we also have detected odors from a barge attached to the ship and were told by crew that it was pumping out waste material. 

Funny thing is you seem even more obsessed with arguing with someone that has been a senior engineer on cruise ships, as well as other ships for many years.

Taking cruises and general conversations with the crew does not make you an expert.

Having been a working senior engineer for many years and actually having worked on those systems certainly  makes the Chief one.

Edited by ldtr

5 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Funny thing is you seem even more obsessed with arguing with someone that has been a senior engineer on cruise ships, as well as other ships for many years.

Taking cruises and general conversations with the crew does not make you an expert.

Having been a working senior engineer for many years and actually having worked on those systems certainly  makes the Chief one.

Like I said my comment stands.

Please note that if you do take the time to read my original comment, the "Gentleman in Question" did express his opinion on my comment(s), not the other way around. Not only did I reply in a respectful manner to this "Gentleman's opinions" but I also took the liberty to submit several statements on the topic from articles that are available on the Internet if you wish to read about this interesting component of modern day cruising. 

Bottom line is that I stand by my statements, and I consider this discussion closed, unless you can submit some articles/references which refute my observations and information provided.

Have a good day my friend.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

and all solid waste is incinerated, recycled or offloaded for other disposal

Wastewater is not considered a solid waste. There are solids in wastewater, but even raw influent on land is less than 1% solids. @chengkp75 might know the mg/l or mlss of shipboard influent, I don't. By the time land based systems are done processing the sludge cake is still 80% water by weight. Solid waste is the stuff you toss in a garbage can.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Like I said my comment stands.

Please note that if you do take the time to read my original comment, the "Gentleman in Question" did express his opinion on my comment(s), not the other way around. Not only did I reply in a respectful manner to this "Gentleman's opinions" but I also took the liberty to submit several statements on the topic from articles that are available on the Internet if you wish to read about this interesting component of modern day cruising. 

Bottom line is that I stand by my statements, and I consider this discussion closed, unless you can submit some articles/references which refute my observations and information provided.

Have a good day my friend.  

He was posting to correct some errors in your post. which set off your arguing with him.

There are numerous sources out there that are consistent with his information about on ship processing of human wad, the onboard treatment systems on modern cruise ships and the dumping of such treated waste at sea outside on coastal limits. They also talk about the results from the waste treatment that is not dumped being incinerated on board.

There are also numerous references about other forms of waste, such as oils, bilge waste that cannot be legally dumped at any time (the foundation of several environmental charges against CCL lines) that are pumped out in port.

While there might be a small amount of human waste that might be off loaded under unique circumstances that vast majority is offloaded at sea. 

Edited by ldtr

5 hours ago, ldtr said:

He was posting to correct some errors in your post. which set off your arguing with him.

There are numerous sources out there that are consistent with his information about on ship processing of human wad, the onboard treatment systems on modern cruise ships and the dumping of such treated waste at sea outside on coastal limits. They also talk about the results from the waste treatment that is not dumped being incinerated on board.

There are also numerous references about other forms of waste, such as oils, bilge waste that cannot be legally dumped at any time (the foundation of several environmental charges against CCL lines) that are pumped out in port.

While there might be a small amount of human waste that might be off loaded under unique circumstances that vast majority is offloaded at sea. 

Very well said. 

Thank you. 

11 hours ago, roadster08 said:

Princess should be repurposing processed waste into Milorganite like fertilizer, not dumping it in the ocean or anywhere else.

Disney has been doing it at Disney World for decades. 

🙂

Milorganite dries out the microbes that digest the waste into fertilizer.  Ships' advanced waste water treatment plants, because they do not have the same time factor as municipal systems (no big holding ponds) to process the waste, retain the microbes in the system, for use over and over.  So, the waste sludge generated by the ship's system has virtually no organic value, as I said, it is predominately undigested wood (paper) fibers.  The microbes do not have sufficient time to digest the tough wood fibers.  Any microbes that are retained in the effluent water, are killed using UV sterilizers before the water is pumped to sea.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BamaVol said:

We sailed her the beginning of March.  There was definitely a sewage smell in the corridor outside our cabin on deck 8.  It did not penetrate into the cabin.

Have you ever noticed that the panels in the corridor outside the staterooms are removable? Behind those panels runs the sewage pipes for each state room. It could be that there is a slightly loose coupling there allowing gas to escape. Report the smell to the cabin steward that services your stateroom and a plumber will investigate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Have you ever noticed that the panels in the corridor outside the staterooms are removable? Behind those panels runs the sewage pipes for each state room. It could be that there is a slightly loose coupling there allowing gas to escape. Report the smell to the cabin steward that services your stateroom and a plumber will investigate.

Again, more likely the deck drain in those "sanitary lockers" is dry from not seeing any leakage in months.  But, as you say, report a smell, and either the cabin stewards or the plumbers will pour a glass of water down the drain and fix the smell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1