Is aurea worth an extra $800 from fantastica? Has anyone done both?

Floridagal2213

I think we got a pretty awesome deal for DH and DD for a 7 night cruise with fantastica experience.  We were also able to take advantage of the easy plus drink package that is included with the fantastica.  I was wondering if anyone thinks it is worth $800 to switch to the aurea experience?  I have read the perks offered for each package but wondering if anyone has done both and if you think it’s worth the $800 even with drink package included with fantastica.  Can DD even use the thermal spa? Is a massage included? Thank everyone! 

Edited by Floridagal2213
Spelling error

• Floridagal2213 changed the title to Is aurea worth an extra $800 from fantastica? Has anyone done both?

Aurea doesn’t include much if I’m honest. Thermal spa access, is not included, just a 40% discount if you choose to purchase the spa pass package.  Same with treatments such as massage, they are not included but a discounted rate is given. You do get access to the aurea “solarium “ which is a quieter area if reserved deck space, (I wasn’t blown away by it on either of the ships upon which I have had access) depending on the ship there may also be a hot tub. Dine anytime can be a useful perk, but honestly in my humble opinion the upgrade is not good value. 
Yacht club on the other hand does include  perks like access to the thermal spa, butler/ concierge and private dining and to me is a better value proposition than Aurea. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yellowbrick said:

Aurea doesn’t include much if I’m honest. Thermal spa access, is not included, just a 40% discount if you choose to purchase the spa pass package.  Same with treatments such as massage, they are not included but a discounted rate is given. You do get access to the aurea “solarium “ which is a quieter area if reserved deck space, (I wasn’t blown away by it on either of the ships upon which I have had access) depending on the ship there may also be a hot tub. Dine anytime can be a useful perk, but honestly in my humble opinion the upgrade is not good value. 
Yacht club on the other hand does include  perks like access to the thermal spa, butler/ concierge and private dining and to me is a better value proposition than Aurea. 

I concur. Not worth $800 for anytime dining. The private deck space was nothing special and no pool. Yes, the Yacht club has a lot more to offer, but I honestly did not think that was worth the price of another cruise. (at least).  Just my opinion.

• Like 3

MSC has reduced the perks that used to be associated with the Aurea experience. It was probably worth that much 2 years ago when it included unlimited thermal spa access and when the base price of Aurea rooms included the drink package. However, the add-on for Easy Plus is now the same for Aurea as it is for Fantastica and unlimited thermal spa access is gone. What remains are the gifts left in Aurea rooms, priority boarding, anytime dining and access to the "exclusive solarium". IMHO, those perks certainly have value but they are worth less than $800. They would be more valuable if the Aurea solarium had a pool like the Yacht Club sundeck has but that is not the case. Personally, I would rather have a Yacht Club inside room than an Aurea balcony room and the prices for those two options are often very similar.

• Like 3

Man you guys are awesome… these were my thoughts, but having never cruised MSC, I wanted to ask the experts.  It also appears I’m watching old out of date videos of what offered lol!!   We are totally going to skip it and are totally content with our balcony room!  Yacht club would be amazing but it’s almost 3x what we payed (no insides left).  Thank you again everyone for helping!! I hope I can do the same someday! 

• Like 1

The question is already answered, but just to make one thing clear. The main advantage of Aurea is not (or not anymore) the perks, it is that many (or depending on the ship all) of the best (and biggest) cabins are only sold as Aurea. You cannot book something like a whirlpool suite without Aurea.

When we did Aurea a few years ago, it was great, specially if you got an Aurea suite. Obviously not quite YC but enough to make the cruise extra special. 

But the perks have been diluted. I wouldn’t do it now. 

5 minutes ago, freeon said:

According to my booking the thermal is included with Aurea. We just recently booked. Not sure why everyone is saying it's not. Has it changed in the last few weeks? 

No, Aurea Spa access certainly is included, would be a very strange thing that it is not included in AUREA 😄

People continue to mix up the spa access with one spa massage (before free - now 40% discount)

11 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

The question is already answered, but just to make one thing clear. The main advantage of Aurea is not (or not anymore) the perks, it is that many (or depending on the ship all) of the best (and biggest) cabins are only sold as Aurea. You cannot book something like a whirlpool suite without Aurea.

Pera: While certainly all suites are either YC or Aurea, the other cabins maybe slightly better, but not at a level that justifies an USD 800 on top of your baseline Fantastica package. In summary: Unless you really want a suite, spend your money elsewhere once the perks themselves plus the slightly better cabin location won't justify that. Have a nice day!...

2 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

Pera: While certainly all suites are either YC or Aurea, the other cabins maybe slightly better, but not at a level that justifies an USD 800 on top of your baseline Fantastica package. In summary: Unless you really want a suite, spend your money elsewhere once the perks themselves plus the slightly better cabin location won't justify that. Have a nice day!...

Sure, I would never book Aurea now. But at our honeymoon cruise we had a "junior suite" (no Aurea at this time, but this cabin is now Aurea) and if someone would ask me "What should I book for our honeymoon" I would say "go for something like the Aurea whirlpool suites" as I would also do 🙂

We've just returned our first Fantastica experience cruise, we've previously been Aurea or YC. We'll be returning to Aurea next time. We thought we'd try it given the reduction in benefits of the Aurea experience but, we'll not choose Fantastica again. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 8:24 PM, actuarian said:

.....IMHO, those perks certainly have value but they are worth less than $800. They would be more valuable if the Aurea solarium had a pool like the Yacht Club sundeck has but that is not the case. Personally, I would rather have a Yacht Club inside room than an Aurea balcony room and the prices for those two options are often very similar.

Agree entirely.

On 4/17/2023 at 10:05 PM, perakcruiser said:

Sure, I would never book Aurea now. But at our honeymoon cruise we had a "junior suite" (no Aurea at this time, but this cabin is now Aurea) and if someone would ask me "What should I book for our honeymoon" I would say "go for something like the Aurea whirlpool suites" as I would also do 🙂

This! Surely those "special" cabins are there for a purpose. Honeymoon is definitely one of them. It's unique!... Now; for regular cruising life; and JIMHO; either way: Fantastica for a budget concerning practical travel, or YC if one wants some more luxury!...

• Like 1

I've done plenty of fantastica and once I was "upgraded" to an Aurea cabin due to a mix-up.  I put upgraded in quotes, as it was actually a pretty similar cabin to what I had before, but in a much worse location.

If the cabins are similar in size, I'd say it's not worth it.  That said, I booked a 1-bedroom Aurea suite on an upcoming cruise on World Europa, and for us it was worth it, as it's considerably larger with a separate living room and bedroom.

On 4/19/2023 at 8:43 PM, JamieLogical said:

I don't understand why everyone is saying Thermal Spa access isn't included in Aurea. I am on the Meraviglia now in an Aurea suite and I definitely have spa access.

They may be confusing the spa entrance with the one hour massage. The massage has gone. The spa entrance seems to have been retained.

7 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

They may be confusing the spa entrance with the one hour massage. The massage has gone. The spa entrance seems to have been retained.

• Complimentary access to the Top Exclusive Solarium
  • Relaxation amenities in each stateroom (including bathrobe and slippers)
  • Pillow menu
  • Access to thermal area (for adults only)
  • 40% discount on a prepaid dedicated spa package
  • 10% discount on all spa treatments purchased on board
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, azilr said:

Does anyone know how you access the 40% discount on a prepaid dedicated spa package?  The options showing up for my upcoming cruise show online as a 30% discount compared on onboard.

I suspect you'd need to book onboard.

On 4/17/2023 at 9:08 PM, Até said:

Can someone link to where MSC has removed the thermal spa access from the Aurea experience.  I still see it listed on the MSC websites.

It's still on my upcoming 17 night Divina package as far as I am aware

On 4/17/2023 at 4:39 PM, freeon said:

According to my booking the thermal is included with Aurea. We just recently booked. Not sure why everyone is saying it's not. Has it changed in the last few weeks? Untitled.jpg.944d032644f7c04352d15c595f7c2f91.jpg

This information includes the following perks:

“24-hour room service (delivery for free), breakfast in cabin (delivery for free),”

I get it that there is no delivery charge but what about the meals themselves?

Do Aurea guests pay for the meals or they included in the Aurea Experience?