Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

1 hour ago, pmarrsouth said:

Why would one ever cancel a non-refundable flight, for travel in 6 months time, now? If there is any schedule change by the airline, that changes the departure time by ~2-4 hours (depends on the airline), then you are generally entitled to accept the change or schedule a new date or get a refund 

If you know you can use the credit why gamble. Cancel and rebook a new trip.

53 minutes ago, TequilaJane said:

If you know you can use the credit why gamble. Cancel and rebook a new trip.

As you can cancel 4 hours (or whatever) before the flight departs, so its a freeroll to allow it to go on as long as that. Most airlines will give you X time to use the credit (12 months seems standard). So if you cancel now you get 12 months to use it. If you don't cancel until October then you get 16-17 months to use it. Many people might have no want/need for the credit too (no reason to fly if cruise cancelled). Also this is going with the idea that the ticket even has the ability to be converted into future flight credit, which many airlines outside of the US do not allow

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jeno said:

Has anyone that was told they are bumped been able to talk their way into staying on the original cruise and cabin? 

Original cabin will be tough as there were 2+ bookings for that room. Some people have been able to get downgrades (or upgrades) on the same cruise

4 hours ago, pmarrsouth said:

As you can cancel 4 hours (or whatever) before the flight departs, so its a freeroll to allow it to go on as long as that. Most airlines will give you X time to use the credit (12 months seems standard). So if you cancel now you get 12 months to use it. If you don't cancel until October then you get 16-17 months to use it. Many people might have no want/need for the credit too (no reason to fly if cruise cancelled). Also this is going with the idea that the ticket even has the ability to be converted into future flight credit, which many airlines outside of the US do not allow

Call your airline many airlines the 12 months is from the original booking date. This is directly from Delta I believe United is the same. You may cancel your flight before departure and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original date of purchase. Cancellation fees apply for Basic Economy fares and other fares originating in select markets.

Considering one poster said there were 2+ bookings for their cabin, does anyone know how the decision was made re who kept the cabin?  First booked, most paid, short straw selection?  I'd hate to think it was arbitrary with no logic behind the choice.

28 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Considering one poster said there were 2+ bookings for their cabin, does anyone know how the decision was made re who kept the cabin?  First booked, most paid, short straw selection?  I'd hate to think it was arbitrary with no logic behind the choice.

I will cite one example.

A family booking of 2 cabins on my cruise date.  Different cabin grades but both cabins belonged in the overbooked category.  One cabin only was cancelled.  

On 5/1/2023 at 7:24 PM, patty1955 said:

I'm still waiting to hear if I'm sailing next March. How Celebrity is handling it is another issue and should be on it's own tread.  (IMHO)

My TA said yesterday  that the final list of cancellations were sorted. Ours was fine. They had 11 to cancel.  So after the 1st May your fine. . You should now be able to relax and look forward to the cruise.  Very saD for those affected

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southwestie said:

My TA said yesterday  that the final list of cancellations were sorted. Ours was fine. They had 11 to cancel.  So after the 1st May your fine. . You should now be able to relax and look forward to the cruise.  Very saD for those affected

Be very careful with "definitive" info that a 3rd party is giving about Celebrity

• Like 3

Some credit card companies include Travel insurance for cancelled plans paid for with their card.    Those affected should check it out if their Airline loss is over Celebrity’s measly $500 limit.   My own card company says that you can even claim for cash reimbursement where the Airline gives you a mandatory credit.   You need to let the credit lapse and then make the claim.   FYI

2 hours ago, southwestie said:

They had 11 to cancel

The TA said the TA had 11 cancelled? Or the TA said Celebrity was cancelling 11 (and if this, how would the TA know about others?)??

Edited by mayleeman

3 hours ago, mayleeman said:

The TA said the TA had 11 cancelled? Or the TA said Celebrity was cancelling 11 (and if this, how would the TA know about others?)??

TA gets the list affected guests and sails

7 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I read a rumor on other social platform said: the bookings with TA been canceled, bookings directly with CL not affected or very few. Celebrity wants to keep TA's commission to them self.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, iBeatle71 said:

I read a rumor on other social platform said: the bookings with TA been canceled, bookings directly with CL not affected or very few. Celebrity wants to keep TA's commission to them self.

Your rumor is 100% incorrect. Within this 35 pages of posts are story after story after story of reports from passengers in all kinds of cabins with all kinds of bookings at all levels of payments being cancelled. Rumors are a waste of time to report when you have 35 pages of people who have diligently been reporting what happened to them.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, iBeatle71 said:

Totally just what you posted. A rumor. Many folks here (and in their roll calls) who booked directly with X are SOL...

• Like 3

17 hours ago, anniegb said:

I will cite one example.

A family booking of 2 cabins on my cruise date.  Different cabin grades but both cabins belonged in the overbooked category.  One cabin only was cancelled.  

Was the higher cost cabin kept?  Perhaps with volunteers cancelling, the non-cancelled cabin had the complication removed?

8 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Was the higher cost cabin kept?  Perhaps with volunteers cancelling, the non-cancelled cabin had the complication removed?

Celebrity did not ask for volunteers.

The family have not updated us.

10 hours ago, clojacks said:

Your rumor is 100% incorrect. Within this 35 pages of posts are story after story after story of reports from passengers in all kinds of cabins with all kinds of bookings at all levels of payments being cancelled. Rumors are a waste of time to report when you have 35 pages of people who have diligently been reporting what happened to them.

That's right. It's a mixture from all.

My ts only had 11 to cancel. Mixture of all cabins.  So cabins were 3 times oversold. But who knows. It's such a mess. 

14 hours ago, clojacks said:

Mine was booked via a TA. And not only was the booking rebooked at the 2021 price we got 2 tours added and a japan transport card the same as the new booking.  Our only concern was we might get cancelled.  But we're not. The cruise is around 30% less inc drinks ,WiFi tips . So there's no logic. We were told some cabins were sold as double and even 3  over booked.  How true that is I don't know

Edited by southwestie

23 hours ago, iBeatle71 said:

Yep, incorrect,   Im the OP of this very very long thread….I booked directly with Celebrity…doesn’t matter how you booked….it’s WHEN you booked…

• Thanks 2

Not really.   I booked in January 2023 with a TA and we’re seemingly okay so far...🤞.    There doesn’t appear to be any rhyme or reason as to how Celebrity did their dastardly cuts.   I feel badly for all who were adversely affected affected.    How on earth does this happen in this day and age of advanced technology??

1 hour ago, Judy Arthur said:

Not really.   I booked in January 2023 with a TA and we’re seemingly okay so far...🤞.    There doesn’t appear to be any rhyme or reason as to how Celebrity did their dastardly cuts.   I feel badly for all who were adversely affected affected.    How on earth does this happen in this day and age of advanced technology??

Your cabin number most likely was not over booked.