Shuttle from Houston to Galveston cruise port

Davet2016

We have never sailed from Galveston before and we are having trouble finding transportation from our hotel in Houston to the cruise port in Galveston.  All the services we find are from the Houston airports to the cruise terminal.  Any suggestions that would be cheaper than Uber would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Davet2016 said:

We have never sailed from Galveston before and we are having trouble finding transportation from our hotel in Houston to the cruise port in Galveston.  All the services we find are from the Houston airports to the cruise terminal.  Any suggestions that would be cheaper than Uber would be greatly appreciated.

How close to the airport (and which airport) are you staying?

9 hours ago, Davet2016 said:

If  your hotel offers a shuttle to the airport, take that and then arrange transportation from the airport to the port.  Hotel shuttles to/from airport are often free.

Or, use the airport Marriott for your hotel.  The airport tram will drop  you at the marriott.

2 hours ago, Davet2016 said:

Staying right next to Bush International.

We recently used Galveston Express for a one-way from IAH to Galveston when doing a repositioning from Galveston. They have shuttles at several times which you can book from their website. They did pick up one party directly from their hotel or as suggested above you can shuttle back from your hotel to the airport. 

there are several independent shuttles and the cruise line shuttles. Price  compared against uber will depend on time of day and number in your party.

Thanks for all the insight, everyone!  I called a couple shuttle companies and one said there is an extra fee of $50.00 for hotel pick up and the other said $60.00.  So, I canceled my hotel and booked the Marriott on the airport property.  The hotel is a bit more expensive than the original, but the  time saved and convenience is worth it.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davet2016 said:

Thanks for all the insight, everyone!  I called a couple shuttle companies and one said there is an extra fee of $50.00 for hotel pick up and the other said $60.00.  So, I canceled my hotel and booked the Marriott on the airport property.  The hotel is a bit more expensive than the original, but the  time saved and convenience is worth it.  Thanks again!

Wow! That is a hefty add-on, I had no idea. 

12 hours ago, Davet2016 said:

We've booked at the Marriott before and intend to book their again when we do our Galveston cruise.

We used the cruise line shuttle but we will use one of the shuttle companies next time.

It's been a few years but the Marriott had a nice breakfast buffet although some say it is a bit pricey.   You might want to see if  you can get a breakfast included room rate.

We stayed their while on a Princess cruise and there was a large number of other cruises there.  The breakfast area was a bit crowded so we asked anothe couple looking for a table if they wanted to join us.  They were on the same cruise and we ran into them several times on board.

Do believe you made a good choice.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 11:17 PM, c-leg5 said:

Wow! That is a hefty add-on, I had no idea. 

It's a fee for the entire group, not per-person. The intent is to encourage the majority to catch the shuttle at the airport which, in turn, reduces the number of stops.

• 4 weeks later...

MoCowBell, so if the 8 of us fly in to HOU-Hobby, then do we get the shuttle to Galveston there, and if so, do we book it ahead of time, or can pay for it when we arrive at HOU? You said it was a fee for the entire group, do you have any idea how much it would be for the 8 of us?

4 hours ago, beshears said:

MoCowBell, so if the 8 of us fly in to HOU-Hobby, then do we get the shuttle to Galveston there, and if so, do we book it ahead of time, or can pay for it when we arrive at HOU? You said it was a fee for the entire group, do you have any idea how much it would be for the 8 of us?

The fee is extra for hotel pick-up. You book the shuttle in advance.

We are flying in the day before the cruise and have booked the round-trip shuttle from and back to the airport in Houston.  By staying at the hotel on the airport property we can take the free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and then back again to the airport the next day to catch shuttle to Galveston.  By doing this we are avoiding the extra fees of being picked up at a hotel to go to Galveston. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beshears said:

That sounds good, other than I'm wondering about the transportation from Galveston to the pier/terminal.

You can book round trip ticket with which ever provider you choose.

Edited by c-leg5

We booked the shuttle to and from the airport through Royal Caribbean.  It goes straight to the port from the airport.  We are staying in Houston because of the cost of using a taxi or Uber to get to a hotel in Galveston.  Staying in Houston and shuttling to the port was way less expensive than trying to stay in Galveston.

1 hour ago, beshears said:

That sounds good, other than I'm wondering about the transportation from Galveston to the pier/terminal.

If you stay at a hotel in Galveston take a taxi, Uber etc to pier.  Harbour House is close to walk.

cLegs5, yes we are booking a round trip. My concern is what/how we get transportation from the Houston/Hobby airport to the ship, or Pier 2/Terminal 2, Port Everglades? I know Princess will supply this transportation from the airport, but I was wondering if there was a cheaper way? That is why I ask this question.

22 minutes ago, beshears said:

cLegs5, yes we are booking a round trip. My concern is what/how we get transportation from the Houston/Hobby airport to the ship, or Pier 2/Terminal 2, Port Everglades? I know Princess will supply this transportation from the airport, but I was wondering if there was a cheaper way? That is why I ask this question.

I responded on your other threads. Port Everglades is in Florida.

Galveston Express quoted me HOU/ Hobby at $30 US pp each way.  $35 US pp from/to IAH.

35 minutes ago, beshears said:

Sorry i realized you were asking about Galveston hotel transport after I answered. I got confused with your other threads!

ETA Actually Port Everglades is in Florida I am not sure where you want to get transport to/from or whether this is on the day/day before?

I would think the private shuttle transport is probably cheaper from the airport than cruise line. Are you flying in the day of or the day before? Wouldn’t you need to overnight at the airport if you were taking Princess shuttle?

I can’t help with Galveston transport we have always had a car with us and use parking lot shuttle

Edited by c-leg5

OK, so Galveston express is $30 each way at Houston/Hobby airport, that sounds much better. Can we get this Galveston Express there at the Houston/Hobby airport, or do we need to book it ahead of time, if you know?

4 minutes ago, beshears said:

OK, so Galveston express is $30 each way at Houston/Hobby airport, that sounds much better. Can we get this Galveston Express there at the Houston/Hobby airport, or do we need to book it ahead of time, if you know?

I answered on your other thread. Probably best to go to website for details.