Beverage Shortages and Other Cuts

27 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Do the research.  I saw the prices then i did the research.  Brazil is not cheap...

Would you mind sharing your research?  The first 5 websites I've pulled up tell a different story.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Brazil

17 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Would you mind sharing your research?  The first 5 websites I've pulled up tell a different story.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Brazil

For the sake of brevity,Try this.  https://www.budgetyourtrip.com/brazil
to qualify my original statement- Brazil is not cheap compared to its neighbors.

the reason I came back to this thread is I want to clarify that on my 30+ day journey I did not experience any shortages except the expected shortages as one travels up the Amazon.  Those shortages are normal and were the same prior to 2020.   I have not experienced any shortages on my Alaska cruise or my Eastern Canadian cruise, nor any on my transatlantic except the expected shortages any long stretch at sea.  

Edited by Mary229

8 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

There are many other good options to travel it is not just cruises . We  own so many Marriott & Hilton Honor hotel points we could stay close in to Balboa Park ,here in San Diego ,see the Zoo ( never gets old) & on  each Tuesdays we  have a selection of  free entry to  the museums in Balboa Park . There is the Gas Lamp district , Little Italy ,Old Town , Sea Port Village ,Hotel Del Coronado ,Sea World , major league baseball at Petco Park  ,the San Diego Padres &  live plays That alone could keep us busy for months  .We just do not want to drive far to see these attractions .Thus ,free hotel stays for couple of days at a time . We do have great weather  here

For you that may be the case, but for me in particular that is not the case at all. I would rather be tied to a cruise ship that samples multiple new destinations than fly into one destination and have to stay there for a week. The worst would be the all inclusive resorts where you literally stay in one spot for a week, which may kill me lol. I also enjoy sea days and being disconnected from the world with no wifi. It is one of the few places that my brain slows down and stops thinking about 5 things at once. 

The one trip I can stay in one place for in a week is a fishing trip, but again I am out on my boat all day doing the other thing that is relaxing to me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

There are many other good options to travel it is not just cruises . We  own so many Marriott & Hilton Honor hotel points we could stay close in to Balboa Park ,here in San Diego ,see the Zoo ( never gets old) & on  each Tuesdays we  have a selection of  free entry to  the museums in Balboa Park . There is the Gas Lamp district , Little Italy ,Old Town , Sea Port Village ,Hotel Del Coronado ,Sea World , major league baseball at Petco Park  ,the San Diego Padres &  live plays That alone could keep us busy for months  .We just do not want to drive far to see these attractions .Thus ,free hotel stays for couple of days at a time . We do have great weather  here

Cruises are nice but there are other options .We done many cruises when imo the industry  gave  us much better value .I call it the golden days of cruising

We are not against cruises or any cruise line but there are better choices  . We are now too old to fly to far off  destinations but ,we have been there is the past & got through our bucket list .Now it is your turn 

I'm not sure what this post was in reference to, but I expect pretty much everyone on here knows there are multiple options for travel/holiday experiences. and most of us have and continue to do many of them. 

To say there are "better choices than cruising"  is just waaaay too much of an overgeneralization.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Destiny0315 said:

Problem solved! Just increase the $1 deposits to $1.25 like the Dollar Tree chain has increased most everything in their stores to that higher amount for more cash flow.

This is serious biz. I've booked two cruise worth $22k with just $2 in deposit. Normally, I would've had to pay >$1k in deposits. Big difference! Thousands instead of millions in cash receipts.

Two ways a biz can conserve cash. First, 'The cheque is in the mail!' 😉

Second, just order less. Let the pax 'eat cake'! 😛

37 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Those prices might seem high, but you have to convert R$ to US$.  The R$4 hot dog turns into USD 0.79 

In SA that is always a maybe since exchange rates are squishy.  It is definitely higher than Argentina, Peru and Chile where the buyer with US dollars gets a far better rate than the official rate.   Brazil not so much 

55 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Those prices might seem high, but you have to convert R$ to US$.  The R$4 hot dog turns into USD 0.79 

PS not that i ate hot dogs but I did buy a water or soda here or there - always at a local shop, not a source or shop and the prices were high by my standard

Edited by Mary229

12 hours ago, PalmSprings said:

, , and (technically canned water on the last one)

Apparently small bottles of sparkling water MIA so had to buy big bottles of Pelligrino  was more than what was in the HIA.  

16 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

yes there is not much we have not delved into ,even to the point all we need is medical evacuation insurance & found a company who is looking into developing a stand alone policy on  med vac

Isn't Med-Jet a stand alone medevac company?  It has been around for years. 

Regarding Chase Sapphire, does it have CFAR insurance and, if so, what is its limit for costs recovery, i.e. a % up a certain limit?  HAL's protection plan is up to 90% and it costs around 10% of the cruise cost?   But I don't think that there is a limit as to the amount to which 90% will apply.

19 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Isn't Med-Jet a stand alone medevac company?  It has been around for years. 

Regarding Chase Sapphire, does it have CFAR insurance and, if so, what is its limit for costs recovery, i.e. a % up a certain limit?  HAL's protection plan is up to 90% and it costs around 10% of the cruise cost?   But I don't think that there is a limit as to the amount to which 90% will apply.

No CFAR.  It is about the same as a basic Allianz policy.