Upgrade Drink Package Discount

ScottC4746

I have a cruise booked for next May.  Right now they are are offering an upgrade from Classic to Premium at $18.99 per guest per day at a savings of 5%.  If I wait until closer, will that discount get larger or is that about it?

I'm about to book a cruise on the Apex, and we will have the "all included" package.  It looks like there is no per day drink limit, but it only covers drinks up to $10, which seems low, compared to other cruise lines.  

Few questions.  Does this basic package cover specialty coffees?  Does the $10 limit cover all the basic stuff, like a frozen margaritas, and most wines and beers?  Lastly, if I want to upgrade the package to the premium is it the $18.99 per person per day? 

And another somewhat related question; if I want to upgrade my internet package from the surf , which I get in the all inclusive package, to the premium internet, what will that cost, and does it make a difference if I book it in advance or wait till I get on the ship?

Thanks.

29 minutes ago, brovol said:

Few questions.  Does this basic package cover specialty coffees?  Does the $10 limit cover all the basic stuff, like a frozen margaritas, and most wines and beers?  Lastly, if I want to upgrade the package to the premium is it the $18.99 per person per day?

I would answer yes to all these questions except the wine one. There's not much decent wine for $10 or less per glass. Depending on how much wine you drink, it's probably still not worth upgrading. Just pay the difference for each glass of wine.

30 minutes ago, brovol said:

Does this basic package cover specialty coffees? 

Yes

Does the $10 limit cover all the basic stuff, like a frozen margaritas, and most wines and beers

Yes.. Unless you want a fancy martini from the martini bar or a crafted cocktail from the World Bar, you should be pretty well covered. And if you ever do want one of those, you can just pay the difference + tip.

31 minutes ago, brovol said:

upgrade the package to the premium is it the $18.99 per person per day

Per person Per Day. + 20% tip

32 minutes ago, brovol said:

upgrade my internet package

I believe pre-cruise on the planner you can buy the upgrade voucher for 13.00 per device per day. That will be the best deal vs ship. Also, if you have loyalty match from Royal Caribbean it can become less.

I'm about to book a cruise on the Apex, and we will have the "all included" package.  It looks like there is no per day drink limit, but it only covers drinks up to $10, which seems low, compared to other cruise lines.  

And another somewhat related question; if I want to upgrade my internet package from the surf , which I get in the all inclusive package, to the premium internet, what will that cost, and does it make a difference if I book it in advance or wait till I get on the ship?

Thanks.

Correct there is no daily drink limited and the classic package covers beverages up to $10.

The price to upgrade varies depending on a number of things, such as any Captain's Club discount but $18.99 plus a 20% gratuity or roughly $20 a day sounds about right.

Here is a comparison between Classic and Premium Beverage Packages

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/compare-drink-packages.pdf

The internet package is usually cheaper pre-cruise but not always.  If you wait until you get on the ship and find that you need the Premium, you can book it at a prorated price depending on how many days remaining in the cruise.

8 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I would answer yes to all these questions except the wine one. There's not much decent wine for $10 or less per glass. Depending on how much wine you drink, it's probably still not worth upgrading. Just pay the difference for each glass of wine.

I find there are two red wines on the classic package that I like -- the Columbia Crest Merlot and the Tapiz Joven Malbec.  My wife is the white wine drinker and seems to like, in order of preferences, the Mondavi Moscato and the Corte Giara Pinot Grigio.

Full discloure - I prefer the Malbec and Merlot on the Premium list over those two but I will not turn either away if that is all they have.

Edited by DaKahuna

8 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Here is a comparison between Classic and Premium Beverage Packages

I don't like that chart as it implies that you can't get any wine/beer/spirit from the right side without a premium package, which isn't true. Take for instance Stella Artois which is listed under the premium package, but is only $11 per beer (or $1 + tip with the Classic Package). Upgrading to the premium package for Stella is still a bad idea unless you're drinking more than 20 Stellas per day.

1 hour ago, brovol said:

Thanks.

This link is the official listing of what is offered.  I believe there is a cap per day, but it does not show.

All-Inclusive Cruise Drink Packages | Celebrity Cruises  Specialty coffees included in the premium package.

Edited by ScottC4746

27 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I find there are two red wines on the classic package that I like -- the Columbia Crest Merlot and the Tapiz Joven Malbec.  My wife is the white wine drinker and seems to like, in order of preferences, the Mondavi Moscato and the Corte Giara Pinot Grigio.

Full discloure - I prefer the Malbec and Merlot on the Premium list over those two but I will not turn either away if that is all they have.

That is where it is a pricing thing.  Up to $10 for basic up to $17 for premium

21 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I don't like that chart as it implies that you can't get any wine/beer/spirit from the right side without a premium package, which isn't true. Take for instance Stella Artois which is listed under the premium package, but is only $11 per beer (or $1 + tip with the Classic Package). Upgrading to the premium package for Stella is still a bad idea unless you're drinking more than 20 Stellas per day.

I do not see it that way — I see it as a listing on what is on each package and has nothing to do with having classic and ordering something off the premium.   However, I do see you point that it does not explain everything but then again I do not believe it ever was intended to cover all possibilities. 

9 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

This link is the official listing of what is offered.  I believe there is a cap per day, but it does not show.

All-Inclusive Cruise Drink Packages | Celebrity Cruises  Specialty coffees included in the premium package.

I am not aware and have never seen a ‘cap per day’.  The only thing I have heard is bartenders refusing to serve someone who was obviously too drunk already.  

11 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

There is no cap per day - just price per drink.

Cappuccinos, lattes, etc. are covered with the Classic drinks package. A shot of Tia Maria in your coffee is covered, but Kahlua and Baileys (plus all other liqueurs on the Premium side) needs a Premium package. Many of the specialty coffees in Cafe al Bacio have premium liqueurs so if you really want one of those, you pay the price difference. If your package covers drinks up to $10 and that drink is $14, you will pay the difference ($4) plus the 18% gratuity on $4. 

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

I do not see it that way — I see it as a listing on what is on each package and has nothing to do with having classic and ordering something off the premium.   However, I do see you point that it does not explain everything but then again I do not believe it ever was intended to cover all possibilities. 

I am not aware and have never seen a ‘cap per day’.  The only thing I have heard is bartenders refusing to serve someone who was obviously too drunk already.  

Last year on the Solstice we had a limit.  Personally after three martinis I was spent.  I knew someone who sued, unsuccessfully, Carnival because of their drink limit saying it wasn't unlimited as advertised.  If you have to worry about more than 15 alcoholic drinks then...well...Betty Ford might be the best next vacation spot.  I've been on some cruises where people want to see how drunk they want to get.  I'd rather enjoy my cruise without the hangovers, etc.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I despise signing slips, and I like better bourbon and gin/vodka.  I always upgrade on board..20 Stella’s, I’ll pass. 🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I despise signing slips, and I like better bourbon and gin/vodka.  I always upgrade on board..20 Stella’s, I’ll pass. 🙂

I like having the coffees and wider selection of other drinks is why I upgrade.

9 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Last year on the Solstice we had a limit.  Personally after three martinis I was spent.  I knew someone who sued, unsuccessfully, Carnival because of their drink limit saying it wasn't unlimited as advertised.  If you have to worry about more than 15 alcoholic drinks then...well...Betty Ford might be the best next vacation spot.  I've been on some cruises where people want to see how drunk they want to get.  I'd rather enjoy my cruise without the hangovers, etc.

Some lines include coffee, soda and water in the 15 limit…BS IMHO

But yeah, it isn’t hard to hit 15 in a day..start with a few Mimosas early, hardly any booze in them…and go from there. Drink good stuff, know your limits, stay hydrated…don’t mix too many things..zero hangovers.  

3 martinis quickly will give you a nice buzz for sure. Govern yourself accordingly. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

1 hour ago, brovol said:

Thanks.

Get a suite than you don’t have worry , you will get the premium drink and Wi-Fi package 

4 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

I have a cruise booked for next May.  Right now they are are offering an upgrade from Classic to Premium at $18.99 per guest per day at a savings of 5%.  If I wait until closer, will that discount get larger or is that about it?

Sorry, I don't mean to be dense but I have a question.  Is the 18.99 the result of the 5% discount or is it 5% off 18.99?  We are booked on the Ascent for a 4 nighter and it includes the Classic package.  We have the Elite discount of 15% and I was going to upgrade us to Premium on board.  I'm just trying to figure out what the price is pp/pd without any discounts so I can estimate the cost to upgrade with the 15% discount.  Also wondering, is the discount taken before or after the added gratuity?

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

Sorry, I don't mean to be dense but I have a question.  Is the 18.99 the result of the 5% discount or is it 5% off 18.99?  We are booked on the Ascent for a 4 nighter and it includes the Classic package.  We have the Elite discount of 15% and I was going to upgrade us to Premium on board.  I'm just trying to figure out what the price is pp/pd without any discounts so I can estimate the cost to upgrade with the 15% discount.  Also wondering, is the discount taken before or after the added gratuity?

The $18.99 is the result of the 5%.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Get a suite than you don’t have worry , you will get the premium drink and Wi-Fi package 

Yes!  So true...that's the reason I'm having a hard time figuring this out...we usually have the premium package already due to booking a suite.  But we have chosen to go in a regular balcony for a quick cruise and I wanted to leverage our Elite perks to see how I feel about cruising on the "cheaper" side of things.

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

The $18.99 is the result of the 5%.

I called Celebrity to pay for the upgrade from classic to premium. They applied my captains club discount on top of the already discounted price in the cruise planner so it was an even better deal.

• Thanks 1