Times Square to Red Hook

7 minutes ago, Mediterranean_Honeymooner said:

What is the best way/easiest way to get 3 adults and 2 kids from a hotel in Times Square to the Red Hook cruise port?

What transportation are you considering...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mediterranean_Honeymooner said:

Would love it to be easy and reasonably priced.

Two criteria that usually lead to different answers, depending on which is more important. For "easy," that means is a hired car, be it taxi, TNC, or otherwise. For "reasonably priced," that means public transportation (in this case, $2.75 per person using subway into downtown Brooklyn, then free transfer to a bus for the last leg to the port). There is no single "best" means of transportation for every circumstance.

14 minutes ago, Mediterranean_Honeymooner said:

Any.  Would love it to be easy and reasonably priced.

Many on this board may have experience with their previous experiences meeting ships in Red Hook, Brooklyn.

It should be an easy run from Midtown to Downtown Manhattan, thru the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and thru close to the Terminal city streets outside the tunnel.

Your hotel may offer assistance thru their Concierge Desk. 

There are car services like Dial 7 that may give you a quote. Of course there are Uber in NYC.

NYC Yellow cabs are way too expensive to consider for that distance.

I really don't know anyone personally including those we cruised with uses Public Transportation heading to a glorious experience of a cruise ship.

My personally opinion...

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

Uber/Lyft even Revel (Teslas only) now for car share.

Some say take the NYC Ferry by Hornblower ($4 transfer included) their South Brooklyn line 2nd stop from Wall Street Pier 11, coming from 34th Street there are three lines (2 lines actually with only one stop between 34th and Wall Sts Pier 11) that you transfer at Wall Street Pier 11 to the South Brooklyn line and get off at Red Hook and a simple walk to the Pier. Don't confuse this with the Ikea Ferry run by NYC Waterway.

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

For "reasonably priced," that means public transportation (in this case, $2.75 per person using subway into downtown Brooklyn, then free transfer to a bus for the last leg to the port). 

In my opinion, not a good way to start a cruise vacation. 

Sure, the price is reasonable. But save that option for sightseeing among other things.

Why drag luggage up and down stairs in the stations, then try to stuff them in crowded trains. 🤪

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Not to mention that the drivers are notorious for refusing inter-borough trips. 

Better to stick with the suggestions for Uber or private car service.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vic The Parrot said:

Not to mention that the drivers are notorious for refusing inter-borough trips. 

Better to stick with the suggestions for Uber or private car service.

I know cab drivers that will play dumb, sorry, not knowing Red Hook so not to go there totally.

You need to rely on a reliable car service which is acquainted with the location.

Hello All,

I am sharing my feeling reading these threads here and also other threads on MSC for cruises heading to the newly placed ship.

We sail Cunard out of this particular terminal since it opened 2004 and Princess and Cunard were assigned there.

It is a particular different terminal and location to travel to. It can also be challenging on daytime as it is a location that is also a industrial area. Actually the highway system can also be challenging at time.

Please do your research as Public Transportation by NY Transit is not near the terminal (Subway & Bus Lines) especially carrying luggage. This is from a Veteran Cruiser.

Though mentioned, the Ferry can also be challenging to particular passengers.

I think here or on the other thread someone is asking about Vending Machines at the terminal. NO!

There is no vending machines in the terminal or terminal area. Also there is very little seating area there too. Most you are being guided thru a maze checkpoints from the front door to the ship.

Checkpoints, Document Checks, Security (Personal & Carry On), Check In and Lounge awaiting boarding.

Please enjoy your experience of Brooklyn and Red Hook and please look forward as we have to boarding and enjoying you cruise.

Happy Bon Voyage to All in the Future.....

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Many on this board may have experience with their previous experiences meeting ships in Red Hook, Brooklyn.

It should be an easy run from Midtown to Downtown Manhattan, thru the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and thru close to the Terminal city streets outside the tunnel.

Your hotel may offer assistance thru their Concierge Desk. 

There are car services like Dial 7 that may give you a quote. Of course there are Uber in NYC.

I really don't know anyone personally including those we cruised with uses Public Transportation heading to a glorious experience of a cruise ship.

My personally opinion...

Thank you!  I actually have used public transportation to get to a cruise.  For our honeymoon cruise, we spent so much on cruise and excursions that we saved everywhere we could.  So subway, train, and even a one mile hike with all our luggage.🤣 But with two kids, I am looking for easier than that.  So easier than public transportation but cheaper than renting a limo. I think after your recommendations, I’m leaning towards Uber/Lyft.  I just didn’t know if there was some kind of shuttle or something between these areas (like between Orlando hotels and Port Canaveral).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mediterranean_Honeymooner said:

Thank you!  I actually have used public transportation to get to a cruise.  For our honeymoon cruise, we spent so much on cruise and excursions that we saved everywhere we could.  So subway, train, and even a one mile hike with all our luggage.🤣 But with two kids, I am looking for easier than that.  So easier than public transportation but cheaper than renting a limo. I think after your recommendations, I’m leaning towards Uber/Lyft.  I just didn’t know if there was some kind of shuttle or something between these areas (like between Orlando hotels and Port Canaveral).

Your welcome with the information I shared but understand your situation being a longtime cruiser. Things are not getting better with $$$ these days. On our upcoming sailing on the QM2 to NE/CAN, though we have exhausted the excursions of the Ports and costs of tours, we will be most likely hit the pavement.

We unfortunately feel for those traveling from out of town since we live only are 10-12 minutes from Red Hook. We did park for the first time at the pier last fall before the rise of rates. I can't wait to in 2 months to see from on board what the parking lot looks like and if there is a change. Taking car service this time like before last years lot use.

Unfortunately NYC has never thought of offering a shuttle from either in Midtown NYC or the Civic Center in Downtown Brooklyn to offer a ride to Red Hook. Maybe........someday in the future but no time soon. It would be a help I know. I think our line does offer a shuttle from hotels of pre arranged booking.

Pls enjoy the voyage.....

2 hours ago, Mediterranean_Honeymooner said:

[E]asier than public transportation but cheaper than renting a limo. I think after your recommendations, I’m leaning towards Uber/Lyft.

There's not a lot of space between public transportation and hired vehicles. A number of Canadian cities, especially in Québec, have taxi-bus service, but not that much in the United States (other than some collective taxi services to and from airports). Among hired vehicles, you'll probably get the best price with a regular yellow taxi, a TNC vehicle (Uber, Lyft) being a bit more expensive, and a black car service (Carmel, Dial 7) being most expensive. "[CBS News] found that without tips or surge pricing, hailing a cab was always less expensive than an UberX or a standard Lyft. Cab prices averaged 35-83% less than a ride-share." http://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/ride-sharing-prices-new-york-city-uber-lyft-yellow-taxis (There's a certain irony here in eschewing public transportation to the port in that most cruise vessels--other than those chartered for a private group--constitute public transportation themselves . . . that is, they are shared transportation open to the public upon payment of the fare.)

6 minutes ago, GTJ said:

There's not a lot of space between public transportation and hired vehicles. A number of Canadian cities, especially in Québec, have taxi-bus service, but not that much in the United States (other than some collective taxi services to and from airports). Among hired vehicles, you'll probably get the best price with a regular yellow taxi, a TNC vehicle (Uber, Lyft) being a bit more expensive, and a black car service (Carmel, Dial 7) being most expensive. "[CBS News] found that without tips or surge pricing, hailing a cab was always less expensive than an UberX or a standard Lyft. Cab prices averaged 35-83% less than a ride-share." http://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/ride-sharing-prices-new-york-city-uber-lyft-yellow-taxis (There's a certain irony here in eschewing public transportation to the port in that most cruise vessels--other than those chartered for a private group--constitute public transportation themselves . . . that is, they are shared transportation open to the public upon payment of the fare.)

Beg to differ..........Personal opinion........

7 hours ago, GTJ said:

Two criteria that usually lead to different answers, depending on which is more important. For "easy," that means is a hired car, be it taxi, TNC, or otherwise. For "reasonably priced," that means public transportation (in this case, $2.75 per person using subway into downtown Brooklyn, then free transfer to a bus for the last leg to the port). There is no single "best" means of transportation for every circumstance.

If you choose the subway, it might make sense to take it to South Ferry and then the ferry across to Brooklyn - which would be easier and a lot mor pleasant than a bus in Brooklyn.

Red Hook Brooklyn is considered a Public Transit Desert even being in New York City you still have Transit Deserts. 

It only has two bus lines and only one of the B61 leaves you with a 4 LONG block walk. The closest subway stop is actually the highest subway stop in the NYC system needing several escalators to reach the ground hauling your bags down the stairs if the escalators are broken to the same one lone bus to the terminal. 

And yes parking is $45 a day, property is expensive in NYC many people don't take their property to make parking lots, and those that do charge a lot.

You've spent and will spend hundreds on your cruise, spend a little more on transportation to and from and don't worry

• Like 1

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you choose the subway, it might make sense to take it to South Ferry and then the ferry across to Brooklyn - which would be easier and a lot mor pleasant than a bus in Brooklyn.

I respectfully seeing you opinion, but really going on a cruise, carrying luggage or lugging bags across or thru Manhattan is not the way we approach a voyage.

And being a New Yorker, especially up and down and on the subways which are still not my favorite transportation.

It's been in my honest opinion I haven't been down the subway for over 10 years and not missing.

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I respectfully seeing you opinion, but really going on a cruise, carrying luggage or lugging bags across or thru Manhattan is not the way we approach a voyage.

And being a New Yorker, especially up and down and on the subways which are still not my favorite transportation.

It's been in my honest opinion I haven't been down the subway for over 10 years and not missing.

I agree, but my post (starting: “ if you choose the subway…”) in response to a marginally insane earlier one which suggested subway to central Brooklyn followed by local bus back to cruise terminal.  If I were coming from mid-town, I would take a taxi or Uber to the landing, then ferry across the East River.  

I swore off the subway the day I took early retirement.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I agree, but my post (starting: “ if you choose the subway…”) in response to a marginally insane earlier one which suggested subway to central Brooklyn followed by local bus back to cruise terminal.  If I were coming from mid-town, I would take a taxi or Uber to the landing, then ferry across the East River.  
I swore off the subway the day I took early retirement.

Good Afternoon navybankerteacher,

Maybe because I have been spoiled as I have mentioned in many posts, being only 10-12 minutes from the terminal. But I never saw people coming from subway to ferries to the terminal.

The subway is completely out. I really wouldn't suggest it to anyone I know. Unfortunately due to past experience. I think other systems are way better like Washington DC and California for ex. Again, I really don't think the subway ever changed except for the cars they bought.

But the point is also the use of the ferry. We from home use vehicles for the amount of luggage we take. Placed into the vehicle and delivered to the curb is less adventurous. Carrying the same amount like Felix Unger at the beginning of The Odd Couple.

I have another concept and approach to making the morning to boarding more easier.

So what ever others wish to try but wouldn't be something DW & I would try. Zipping down the West Side Hwy thru the tube and around the tube in Brooklyn and there.

Have a good day............  

18 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Beg to differ..........Personal opinion........

What else is available in that middle space, between public transportation and a hired vehicle?

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

[G]oing on a cruise, carrying luggage or lugging bags across or thru Manhattan is not the way we approach a voyage. And being a New Yorker, especially up and down and on the subways which are still not my favorite transportation. It's been in my honest opinion I haven't been down the subway for over 10 years and not missing.

One of the great things about NYC is that we have 8 million people living here, and at least 8 million distinct opinions on using the subway! My life is completely different, and transporting baggage via subway and bus is routine for both my wife and myself. Our subway is truly one of NYC's greatest assets, more comprehensive and useful generally than in any other in the western hemisphere. It was my favorite means of travel when I was three years old, and now 58 years later it remains so. It is a rarity that I am in an automobile (I believe the last time I was in a car was in February of 2022, traveling from Port Liberty Cruise Port to the nearby light rail station). But not everyone is the same. Many who travel by cruise vessel are car-dependent, and may well be scared of using public transportation if it has never been part of their life before. Others view themselves as "too good" for public transportation, and need to show themselves as being better than the "common folk." Still others view a cruise vacation as a splurge, and want to continue that splurge by spending more on transportation to the port, and being pampered, than they would for their ordinary commute to work. Which is the best option? Trick question: there is no "best" . . . we're all different.