Ice Carving

2 hours ago, Zanny said:

Hi. Was wondering if they still do ice carving on Australian cruises.Recently I was on P&O and theyĀ  never had it .I am sure years ago they had it

Thanks Tanya

I used to love watching ice carving, vegetable carving,Ā champagne fountain and chocolate fountain. Ā All FreeĀ events which made cruising so special.

1 hour ago, windsor26 said:

They have had it on the last 3 Princess cruises and I think it was on the Carnival Splendor this yearĀ  Ā They also had lessons in towel animals

Ā Making Towel animals and folding serviettes donā€™t appeal to me.

During our recent Princess cruise around Australia, we saw ice carving and fruit carving. Towel animals were not provided in our cabin although a towel animal demonstration was held towards the end of the cruise.

2 hours ago, colourbird said:

During our recent Princess cruise around Australia, we saw ice carving and fruit carving. Towel animals were not provided in our cabin although a towel animal demonstration was held towards the end of the cruise.

Wonderful. I love watching the talent of the carvers! Ā 

• Like 1

I have seen ice carving on Celebrity US cruises pre COVID. I don't know if they still do it.

Celebrity have stopped their Hot Glass presentations. They were always interesting and entertaining.

IMG_20180120_052845756.jpg

16 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I have seen ice carving on Celebrity US cruises pre COVID. I don't know if they still do it.

Celebrity have stopped their Hot Glass presentations. They were always interesting and entertaining.

IMG_20180120_052845756.jpg

Was that making glass?

24 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Was that making glass?

Sure was. It was full on, unlike the glass blowing trinket stuff I had seen on other cruises. Always a packed audience. During the demonstration free raffle tickets were handed out and at the end of the show a lucky person won one of the pieces. Other beautiful items were raffled towards the end of the cruise.

To reduce fire hazard electric furnace/ovens were used instead of gas.

Ā 

IMG_20180120_050214411_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180120_050320871_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180120_052618540_HDR.jpg

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

Sure was. It was full on, unlike the glass blowing trinket stuff I had seen on other cruises. Always a packed audience. During the demonstration free raffle tickets were handed out and at the end of the show a lucky person won one of the pieces. Other beautiful items were raffled towards the end of the cruise.

Ā 

Wow that would have been wonderful. Ā My daughter recently looked at a glass with

native animals on it. Ā She said did someone actually make this? Ā 

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Wow that would have been wonderful. Ā My daughter recently looked at a glass with

native animals on it. Ā She said did someone actually make this? Ā 

This was on Solstice during a half circumnavigation Sydney/Fremantle 2018.

On 4/20/2023 at 5:18 PM, lyndarra said:

Ā 

These were great fun, and even if they return to Solstice, she has moved on from her Aussie seasons. Plus all of the tittering when they were referring to the glory hole.

• Like 1

They have changed the glass blowing demonstrations to by professional glass artist and changed them to passenger participation for a fee. It was that way on Celebrity Eclipse in 2019 when we were on our Alaska cruise. It was just changed over at that time. I would definitely rather watch the pros than a bunch of amateurs schlepping up some blob of whatever to proudly display on the coffee table at home. I would also pay a fair price for something created by a professional artisan on board. Of course there would be no shortage of punters aboard to take a crack at glass blowing, I mean how hard can it be to work molten glass at 600 degrees Celsius?šŸ¤”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1