Booking New Cruise - Vacation Planner vs Online

PMGS247

I've been working occasionally with a CVP for help on some of my cruise bookings, adjusting bookings/finding specific cabins, etc.  It's fairly new to me though. Not sure how it all works, but he's been very helpful on a couple recent bookings.

After a recent cruise where I refreshed our stock of Future Cruise Deposits I was just online recently browsing next year's options and without giving it much thought applied one of the FCD's to a likely candidate for a cruise next May. 

It's kind of a placeholder just to get something on the books, lock in an early price, and allow browsing excursions, but it's early and plans are loose, it's very possible that I cancel or completely change it so I didn't think too much of it until I thought.....

Am I neglecting my vacation planner guy by booking online like that?  Am I costing him any sort of commission by doing it that way?

You should book the way it works for you. Why are you concerned about a commission for someone you don't even know. Nobody here knows if it's a commission or salary or hourly worker, and it's none of our business. Many of us book with an outside agency for the perks/OBC they give us.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, memoak said:

If you have a CVP they will automatically be made aware your booking and get credit for it. We

have had the same one for years and she has become a very good friend 

Thank you.  That is very good to know.

53 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

You should book the way it works for you. Why are you concerned about a commission for someone you don't even know. Nobody here knows if it's a commission or salary or hourly worker, and it's none of our business. Many of us book with an outside agency for the perks/OBC they give us.

Just a courtesy.  I've been in commission based roles before and all too well remember being shorted by technical details like this.  Sounds like they get credit with Princess anyway so that's good; I'm glad someone here did know.

Edit: I wouldn't hesitate to book through a 3rd party if the additional perks were attractive enough and I wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep...this is entirely within the confines of booking directly, website vs having the CVP process it.

Edited by PMGS247
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

my 'old' CVP didn't 'have time' for me when I booked directly online - $1 deposit - to make any adjustments.  She was helping other people who booked thru her.  Long story, but I got assigned a new CVP and got some OBC...  and just used the new CVP to book SUN Princess, no problems

• Like 3

2 hours ago, memoak said:

If you have a CVP they will automatically be made aware your booking and get credit for it. We have had the same one for years and she has become a very good friend 

This is the same thing we've been told. I've booked online but CVP still gets credit since he's assigned to us.

I book with a TA who discounts the price of my cruise. She’s very responsive when I contact her, but I must admit, I have to keep track of any price reductions, etc. I’m not sure if a CVP will do that and contact you. I’ve only worked with one who’s very popular with Princess cruisers, and when I booked with her, she gave me nothing extra. Lesson learned. 

Edited by Crystabel
  • Thanks 1

Getting credit is not a commission. It's more like they keep their job because they are producing. Like any employee they must be productive to keep their job.  Anyone who claims to know if they are commissioned is just guessing.

I book with a big box company that gives me approx 8% back as a shop card and use their citibank Visa which gives back 5% for travel. That's about 13% I keep in my pocket plus some other ways I save. I am a suite person so the most resent discount I got for next years cruise from the big box store is $1080 a huge amount to worry about using a CVP who gives nothing back. The only down side is having to call the agent for anything but what I'm getting back I can cope. 

Edited by cruzsnooze

26 minutes ago, voljeep said:

my 'old' CVP didn't 'have time' for me when I booked directly online - $1 deposit - to make any adjustments.  She was helping other people who booked thru her.  Long story, but I got assigned a new CVP and got some OBC...  and just used the new CVP to book SUN Princess, no problems

Interesting. This kind of suggests the opposite of what others have said, in that it suggests it does make a difference booking directly through the CVP. Guess I’m still scratching my head a bit with peoples differing thoughts & experiences.

2 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

Interesting. This kind of suggests the opposite of what others have said, in that it suggests it does make a difference booking directly through the CVP. Guess I’m still scratching my head a bit with peoples differing thoughts & experiences.

Hi 'voljeep' (changed)

I would not be able to help you today since I have appointments all day with guests that wishes book cruises with me.    Please call 800 774 6237 and speak to a representative since you booked this online.  Have a great day.

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Hi 'voljeep' (changed)

I would not be able to help you today since I have appointments all day with guests that wishes book cruises with me.    Please call 800 774 6237 and speak to a representative since you booked this online.  Have a great day.

If that isn't a kiss-off, then IDK what is!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Hi 'voljeep' (changed)

Yikes! I'm sure they're not supposed to do this and that explains the the CVP & OBC you were granted but it does seem insightful.  Makes me consider cancelling my existing booking and re-booking with the CVP.  Might not be able to un-ring that bell though.

16 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

For basic issues I've called the general customer service line and been told my CVP would see any changes or questions we discussed as he is assigned to us. If it's something minor I don't want to waste his time. Also he is in a different time zone as me so sometimes it's easier to just call the general line.

Edited by Paula_MacFan

3 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

For basic issues I've called the general customer service line and been told my CVP would see any changes or questions we discussed as he is assigned to us. If it's something minor I don't want to waste his time. Also he is in a different time zone as me so sometimes it's easier to just call the general line.

yeah I'm kind of the same way.  I also don't think too much about bookings when I'm making them so far in advance, especially with FCD's in hand, so I just didn't think it through too much..

16 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Getting credit is not a commission. It's more like they keep their job because they are producing. Like any employee they must be productive to keep their job.  Anyone who claims to know if they are commissioned is just guessing.

I book with a big box company that gives me approx 8% back as a shop card and use their citibank Visa which gives back 5% for travel. That's about 13% I keep in my pocket plus some other ways I save. I am a suite person so the most resent discount I got for next years cruise from the big box store is $1080 a huge amount to worry about using a CVP who gives nothing back. The only down side is having to call the agent for anything but what I'm getting back I can cope. 

Just a note for others who may be reading.  When quoting a TA savings in % terms, it is going to be a variable result, depending on length of voyage and cabin category - both of which directly affect the cost.  There are two components to every fare quote we see - Commissionable and Non-Commissionable.  The latter is a fixed amount per day, so it is easy to see that the Commissionable portion is going to be quite small for an Inside cabin on a 7-night voyage, versus a Suite for 20 nights.  This is not something most guests are aware of.  The agency discount is always applied to the Commissionable portion of the fare and should be pretty consistent % number (a generous agency might lower the standard % for low cost deals in Inside cabins, however).

Most folks end up calculating their savings as a % of the total cruise fare (and not always clear if they included the port taxes in the total fare or not when doing this).  Even mentioning a dollar figure is less informative than if the poster includes what the Princess fare was at time of booking so that the savings have context.  

Ask your agent what their discount percentage is (you can figure it out yourself from their quotes as long as you know the NCF portion).  If they say 10%, that seems pretty decent, but you can find better.

Of course a travel points CC will give you the same benefit anywhere - unless this is a special due to affiliation and you only get the top rate (5%) when booking via the affiliated retailer.  That is definitely a factor which boosts the total savings and comes into the equation if shopping around.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Having read enough of that I just went ahead and cancelled my booking.  Once it seems fully cleared I'll reach out to CVP and act like nothing had ever happened to create a new booking.  It may not make a difference but there's more upside here than downside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I recently booked a cruise with FCD and instead of putting it on hold it confirmed the booking. When I do put a cruise on hold I always here from my CVP the next day.  When I didn't hear from her I emailed her. She called back and said unless it is just onhold it goes thru and she knows nothing about it and won't have contol over the booking. She canceled it and rebooked it and all is well. She has been a great CVP and was glad I contacted her.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

Hi 'voljeep' (changed)

It happen to me also. I was so mad and should had reported it but I didn’t. 

If you have a good Planner, then I suggest use that person.  In our case, our Planner never return our calls so I book online.  In some cases I put a hold on a cruise and then call Princess 1-800 to pay my deposit and to see if there are any further credits I’m entitled to (most cases none). 

On 4/19/2023 at 10:05 AM, memoak said:

If you have a CVP they will automatically be made aware your booking and get credit for it. We have had the same one for years and she has become a very good friend 

Interesting.  Are they just notified or do they get credit?  I didn't book my upcoming cruise w/ a CVP, but she did help me re-fare (or rebook???) when the price dropped.  Afterward, I asked about the best way to get her credit for a booking I want to make outside her business hours.  Below is her reply... 

"I appreciate you wanting to give me credit as well. You should be allowed to place a hold on a cabin online then I can assist you with taking the payment. The only way I get credit is if I take the initial payment on a booking or I make the booking.

You can also send me an email with all of the details (room number if you have a specific one, if you want transfers, insurance or the beverage package) and I can send over a confirmation number and then you can pay the deposit online whenever you have time."

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 9:46 AM, PMGS247 said:

I've been working occasionally with a CVP for help on some of my cruise bookings, adjusting bookings/finding specific cabins, etc.  It's fairly new to me though. Not sure how it all works, but he's been very helpful on a couple recent bookings.

After a recent cruise where I refreshed our stock of Future Cruise Deposits I was just online recently browsing next year's options and without giving it much thought applied one of the FCD's to a likely candidate for a cruise next May. 

It's kind of a placeholder just to get something on the books, lock in an early price, and allow browsing excursions, but it's early and plans are loose, it's very possible that I cancel or completely change it so I didn't think too much of it until I thought.....

Am I neglecting my vacation planner guy by booking online like that?  Am I costing him any sort of commission by doing it that way?

If you book online, please be aware that it’s full of flaws and you might not end up with what you want.

And also be aware that Princess will not own up to the pricing in their flawed system.

But if you’re willing to go into it with that in mind, have at it

Interesting development…just got this out of office reply from my CVP. Pretty sure we’ve concluded that they do need to be involved in processing a booking to get “credit” (however you want to interpret that) for the booking.

“I will be out of the office i will be onboard the Enchanted Princess until Monday May 1st.Please call my direct line at 1-800-901-1172and press 0 to be assisted by one of my support agents during my absence. It is critical to let my booking support staff know you have a cruise planner and to provide my name [redacted] as your planner when creating a new booking thru my support staff so i can retain the servicing ability for your booking  ,Otherwise I will respond to your email upon my return, have a blessed day:)”

• Like 1