No chibang for me on mardi gras

geckoaz

9 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

My memory is that they fully intended to charge for Cucina and Chibang and were only going to have them included in fare for the “inaugural season” and then changed their minds after seeing how dining overall was working out

You can't be sure whether that's the truth or just what was revealed to the public. Marketing, marketing. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

No, it really can't. There aren't the resources to allow everyone to choose (and get) what they want.

Those on traditional dining can't have their cake and eat it too. It isn't fair to those who choose your time. They have to wait long enough as it is.

The branded options aren't locked out - just the prime dining times.

There's plenty of room for everyone. Remember plenty of people just eat at the buffet.

Carnival just doesn't want to devote the resources to accommodating everyone, and that's fair because they're a discount cruise line. But they could do it if they cared to.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mz-s said:

There's plenty of room for everyone. Remember plenty of people just eat at the buffet.

No, there isn't. We agree to disagree.

4 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Carnival just doesn't want to devote the resources to accommodating everyone, and that's fair because they're a discount cruise line. But they could do it if they cared to.

An opinion on your part with no basis in fact. Carnival is doing what they need to in order to survive.

It's easier to understand if you look at it this way. Set dining times, they know exactly how many people are eating at that given time. With YTD 50 people may check in at 5:30 and then 300 people at 6:00. YTD is less predictable and to control the waiting on the new ships they have options. I don't cruise the MG until Dec but I'm happy to have options. I have done set dining since YTD has been introduced because my family never wants to eat at the same time everyday, even at home. I honestly wish the other ships had the same included options. I spend way too much going to the steakhouse or seafood shack when I get bored of the dining room.

Just now, starstruck05 said:

It's easier to understand if you look at it this way. Set dining times, they know exactly how many people are eating at that given time. With YTD 50 people may check in at 5:30 and then 300 people at 6:00. YTD is less predictable and to control the waiting on the new ships they have options. I don't cruise the MG until Dec but I'm happy to have options. I have done set dining since YTD has been introduced because my family never wants to eat at the same time everyday, even at home. I honestly wish the other ships had the same included options. I spend way too much going to the steakhouse or seafood shack when I get bored of the dining room.

At this point they have what, 20+ years of YTD data across their ships to understand when most guests choose to eat. And how many eat at the buffet or steakhouse or what have you. And now they have going on 2 years of data from Mardi Gras and Celebration. So maybe they will tweak the formula. OP here cannot be the first to complain that just because they chose set dining they have to wait until nearly 8PM to request a table at many of the new dining options on the new ships. I would be right there with them, it's ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

At this point they have what, 20+ years of YTD data across their ships to understand when most guests choose to eat. And how many eat at the buffet or steakhouse or what have you. And now they have going on 2 years of data from Mardi Gras and Celebration. So maybe they will tweak the formula. OP here cannot be the first to complain that just because they chose set dining they have to wait until nearly 8PM to request a table at many of the new dining options on the new ships. I would be right there with them, it's ridiculous.

YTD is not 20 years old. It's not ridiculous. It's completely understandable and done for a valid reason.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

One thing the data tells them is no two cruises are the same. It certainly tells them Carnival cannot please everyone. I will say again the majority are happy with the arrangement.

• Like 2

20230419_183306.thumb.jpg.ead880efc2b17c990027227936109b7f.jpgWell could not get into chibang again. I find the ytd use it as their go to place or lido. Carnival has limited their MDR menu to let people choose other options. The flamingo restaurant for YTD is always under used. But the mdr dining room view was great tonite. Sorry i do not see the data blerk has access to.. I only know my experience. I eant to eat in chibang and cannot. 

• Like 1

Prior to our Celebration cruise, and after I read about this on cc, I made certain our dining choice was YTD.  I also checked our upcoming Mardi Gras and second Celebration cruises making certain we were YTD. Would not have been aware of this if I had not read about it here. Thank you to all who offer tidbits of information.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, geckoaz said:

20230419_183306.thumb.jpg.ead880efc2b17c990027227936109b7f.jpgWell could not get into chibang again. I find the ytd use it as their go to place or lido. Carnival has limited their MDR menu to let people choose other options. The flamingo restaurant for YTD is always under used. But the mdr dining room view was great tonite. Sorry i do not see the data blerk has access to.. I only know my experience. I eant to eat in chibang and cannot. 

I am also on the Mardi Gras right now. I have gone to Chibang three times, twice for dinner and once for lunch. Can't you go for lunch to try it out? There is no fixed dining for lunch. I will echo your comments that I prefer to go to Chibang and Cucina del Capitano over the MDR and I am happy that I selected YTD. I have found the food to be superior in Chibang and Cucina over the MDR and the dishes come out piping out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

I don't see why they don't just allow everyone to reserve a table at the restaurant of their choosing when they want. Go to 100% "freestyle" dining.

I just returned from an NCL cruise a few weeks ago and I have to say that "freestyle" had me more stressed out than planning any of my Carnival cruises. Don't get me wrong - I liked the ship, the service, and the food - but trying to figure out their pre-cruise restaurant reservations and show reservations just about put me over the edge. (And don't even get me started on reserving a boarding time - I stayed up until midnight to do that one.😮) I will be very happy to have my set dining time on Carnival Pride in July.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

It doesn't penalize set time.  Early set time diners have a table and wait team sitting on idle should they choose to eat at Cucina or Chibang at the same time.  ATD can't just go to the main dining room and use that empty table.  It is better to consider both are ATD rooms until 7:30 pm 

Sure it does. On other ships besides the XL Class,  if you have early set dining and you want to book Cucina at 6PM you can. Proper etiquette is to notify your wait staff in the MDR that you won't be there the next day. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, audcc77 said:

Wow.  😳I’ve been on MG 4 times and never knew this.  I just always happened to choose YTD.   🤷‍♀️

I was thinking of starting to do early dining simply because I figured the service is better and you get to know the servers.  I knew I would give additional tips on set dining and I was fine with that.  

However, if that’s a condition of early dining, then I am out.   I start getting hangry around 6-6:30 and nobody wants THAT.  

Thanks for posting OP.  

Completely agree. I chose set dining for the first time for our upcoming trip and will likely change to YTD. 

• Like 1

Chibang is open for 2 hours lunch on sea days. The menu is very limited. Not the same. I always let my waitstaff know when i will be at steak house or a restaurant i can make a reservation. I always give them sn additional tip at the end of the cruise. How does YTD tip waitstaff?

7 minutes ago, geckoaz said:

How does YTD tip waitstaff?

If you want to give additional tips to someone on YTD you just physically give them an envelope thanking them and say it's something extra. It's how you do on every ship on every cruiseline. 

• Like 1

There is a workaround for set dining vs YTD and still getting to go to ChiBang, etc.  I cruised with a group - they had late dining and I had YTD.  It worked great, I never really wanted to eat in the MDR, with a large group it took forever.  But with my YTD and eating at Cucina or ChiBang, I was able to add whoever I wanted to my reservation at whatever time we wanted to eat, no 7:45 time limit.  Our bookings were not linked either.  They just got added to my reservation and got notified when the table was ready.  Came in really handy when some nights we wanted to go to shows and could switch dinner times.

@geckoaz just make friends with @ChinaShrek and go on their reservation. 😁

56 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Sure it does. On other ships besides the XL Class,  if you have early set dining and you want to book Cucina at 6PM you can. Proper etiquette is to notify your wait staff in the MDR that you won't be there the next day. 

A few differences - the menu is different and Cucina isn't included - everyone pays. Having to cough up extra dough reduces demand. And the MDR size on other ships can accommodate everyone, even if they don't get their first choice.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, geckoaz said:

Chibang is open for 2 hours lunch on sea days. The menu is very limited. Not the same. I always let my waitstaff know when i will be at steak house or a restaurant i can make a reservation. I always give them sn additional tip at the end of the cruise. How does YTD tip waitstaff?

Same way as assigned.  Grats are paid the same to all crew, regardless of dining room.  Your specific tips aren't put in an envelope and given to your team.   

6 hours ago, mz-s said:

That's fine if you want a set time but I don't see why the branded options are locked out for set dining cruisers. I know they're in small venues, but give cruisers the choice - wait 30+ minutes for a table in the branded setting, or be seated near instantly in the normal dining room. Maybe even split the aft dining room up into a few more options.

My point is it can all coexist.

The YTD dining room is too small. It’s normally two floors..on smaller ships. It’s one floor on this bigger ship. They have to get YTD people in these other venues to eat.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2

Many cruisers with set dining times don't have it by choice. I had to beg to get YTD last year. I am currently waitlisted for YTD for my July MG sailing. I like to dine early and unlike many I really like Chibang.  Until they are able to fully accommodate those wanting YTD then the system is broken. 

• Like 1

Bottom line is that almost everyone has the choice upfront to choose YTD or not (or get on the waiting list if you waited too long to choose your dinning time).  If you are late to game then you will have to take what's left for choices and try to do something once on board I guess.  

With over 5,000 cruisers on these bigger ships on any given cruise, impossible to cater to individuals or specific groups for most part.  Those specialty restaurants are much smaller than the MDR and there is no way to accommodate the demand if they opened it up to all diners at the same time.  Also, keep in mind that even with YTD you cannot always get into the specialty dinning restaurants when you want to either.  The lines are typically long and you wait even with a booking, especially Cucina and that is just with YTD cruisers.   

• Like 3