What is this item plugged into outlet?

Shelly97060

I found this answer using Google Lens.

It is an emergency light. The green light indicates the power is on so everything is ok.

In the event the power fails, the emergency light will illuminate to help you exit the area.

• Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, roadster08 said:

I found this answer using Google Lens.

It is an emergency light. The green light indicates the power is on so everything is ok.

In the event the power fails, the emergency light will illuminate to help you exit the area.

Thank goodness for a responsible answer to the original question.  I would also expect that it flashes when there is an emergency.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grego said:

Thank goodness for a responsible answer to the original question.  I would also expect that it flashes when there is an emergency.

That was already done within the first five posts.  Then folks started having some fun with it and why not lighten the mood with some harmless humor?

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Not required. Princess allows vaping in staterooms.

Wrong....

Stateroom Smoking Policy
Princess Cruises prohibits smoking or vaping of all types, including e-cigarettes, in guest staterooms and balconies. This reflects the preferences of a vast majority of our guests who value having their primary living space (both stateroom and balcony) smoke-free. As balconies are a hallmark of Princess Cruises, we believe it is important to keep this peaceful space clear of smoke. Violations to this policy will result in a $250 fine for each occurrence, which will be charged to the guest’s stateroom account. Keeping with the global trend toward more restrictive smoking policies and honoring the wishes of our guests, we feel this enhances our onboard experience.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

Wrong....

Stateroom Smoking Policy
Princess Cruises prohibits smoking or vaping of all types, including e-cigarettes, in guest staterooms and balconies. This reflects the preferences of a vast majority of our guests who value having their primary living space (both stateroom and balcony) smoke-free. As balconies are a hallmark of Princess Cruises, we believe it is important to keep this peaceful space clear of smoke. Violations to this policy will result in a $250 fine for each occurrence, which will be charged to the guest’s stateroom account. Keeping with the global trend toward more restrictive smoking policies and honoring the wishes of our guests, we feel this enhances our onboard experience.

That is from Icruise. Try the Princess contract.

No Guest under the age of 21 may purchase, possess or consume alcohol on board during the Cruise. No Guest under the age of 18 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board any vessel or to purchase cigarettes or tobacco products. On some sailings the minimum age for alcohol is under 21 and each Guest agrees to abide by whatever alcohol age restriction is in place on the vessel during the Guest’s cruise. Indoor areas on board the vessels are non-smoking and smoking is only permitted in designated sections. Outdoor smoking areas are clearly posted throughout the vessel. Smoking is prohibited in Guest staterooms and on balconies. Violations to the onboard smoking policy will result in a $250 cleaning fee for each occurrence, which will be charged to Your stateroom account. Repeated violations may result in You being disembarked prior to the end of the Cruise without any refund and at Your cost. The use of electronic cigarettes, personal vaporizers, or electronic nicotine delivery systems is allowed within the confines of the Guest's stateroom (balcony not included) and within designated smoking areas only.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

That is from Icruise.

I don't know what Icruise is, but I can tell you that the block quote is a word for word republication of what is on the Princess site under FAQ --> Onboard Experience --> Smoking Policy.

In my Cruise Personalizer, under Notifications section, the following appears, which in turn directs the reader to the same FAQ that was quoted:

ONBOARD SMOKING POLICY

Princess Cruises is committed to providing our guests with a relaxed, rejuvenating retreat at sea. In keeping with this goal, we have increased the scope of non-smoking areas onboard all Princess vessels. Smoking is not permitted in most areas of the ship, including all staterooms and balconies. Violations to this non-smoking policy will result in a $250 fine for each occurrence, which will be charged to the guest's stateroom account. For guests who wish to smoke, a cigar/smoking lounge* and a limited number of designated smoking areas will be reserved for this purpose. As a safety precaution, guests are reminded to properly dispose of cigarettes, cigars, and pipe tobacco, which are never to be thrown overboard as these may be sucked back into the ship and cause fires. For additional information, please visit the Cruise Answer Place at: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp and click on the "Smoking Policy" link.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I don't know what Icruise is, but I can tell you that the block quote is a word for word republication of what is on the Princess site under FAQ --> Onboard Experience --> Smoking Policy.

Yeah, it is on the FAQ's also, Icruise just copied the FAQ's.  What I listed is the actual cruise contract. 

14 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

In my Cruise Personalizer, under Notifications section, the following appears, which in turn directs the reader to the same FAQ that was quoted:

Under your luggage tag and travel documents, scroll down to additional documents. The passage contract is there.

13 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Under your luggage tag and travel documents, scroll down to additional documents. The passage contract is there.

I see that.  And yes, the two do seem to be in conflict. (The Cruise Contract is dated 10/22.  The FAQs do not have a date and I didn't find one in the metadata.)  As a general rule, when it comes to permissions and prohibitions, when two documents are in conflict, it is always safest to rely on the more restrictive of the two.  I think that if you asked the powers that be at Princess which is the right rule, I would bet my life that they would say that the FAQ is right and that the Contract hasn't yet caught up.

Edited by JimmyVWine

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Electronic cigarettes not vaping. All the same to me.

I actually agree with you there. The early electronic cigarettes actually used an element to burn tobacco (back in the 80's I think). I think E-cigarette kinda evolved due to marketing as a way to get smokers off of cigarettes. Just the evolution of language. Good in that it has helped many quit smoking, not so good that a lot of the general public equate the 2 as the same. E-cig and vaping have pretty much become synonyms, although there is a huge difference between cloud chunking sub-ohm tank systems and small pod systems that can produce next to no vapor. I think that is why they toss the "personal vaporizer" or "electronic nicotine delivery system" in the contract wording.

The use of electronic cigarettes, personal vaporizers, or electronic nicotine delivery systems is allowed within the confines of the Guest's stateroom (balcony not included) and within designated smoking areas only.

15 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

As a general rule, when it comes to permissions and prohibitions, when two documents are in conflict, it is always safest to rely on the more restrictive of the two.

I think I have a few Arturo's left in my humidor still in decent condition (maybe 10 years old, should still be OK). If I don't forget to pack em, we can discuss the differences between permissions and prohibitions some time on the crown next month. Assuming you like Arturo's?

I have seen language that if two pieces of information are different on Princess.com, that the Passage Contract rules over a FAQ answer.  Now, my preference would be for total ban on "smoking" on all indoor public areas and cabins as the FAQ text implies.  IDK if anyone knows if this was a policy and Passage Contract was quietly adjusted and this is situation #73 where Princess says one thing over here and another over there.  

I don't have any active bookings so cannot look up anything other than the posted versions of Passage Contracts on Princess.com.  It seems at least one or two posters above have accessed their current Contract via the booking's Cruise Personalizer link and are seeing the more lenient policy.  True?

Interesting situation I have not seen debated before.  I do know that quite a number of years back, we entered a cabin that was awfully stale from old smoke and I had wished at the time that PCL had designated smoking cabins like hotels (apart from banning it which they eventually did).  We immediately asked for new cabin and I don't recall if that happened or they did an extra deep cleaning the next day.  Glad we don't have that worry any longer.  Have not encountered a cabin that we would suspect used by a regular vaper, so IDK.

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

That was already done within the first five posts.  Then folks started having some fun with it and why not lighten the mood with some harmless humor?

Now that you get down to it you have actually inadvertently found its true purpose ----- a humour detector.  😉

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

IDK if anyone knows if this was a policy and Passage Contract was quietly adjusted and this is situation #73 where Princess says one thing over here and another over there.  

I don't have any active bookings so cannot look up anything other than the posted versions of Passage Contracts on Princess.com.  It seems at least one or two posters above have accessed their current Contract via the booking's Cruise Personalizer link and are seeing the more lenient policy.  True?

The part of the contract I posted is for my sailing next month. To the best of my knowledge the contract has most likely always been this way and not a recent change, as I believe it is the same as when my 2020 Alaska booking was Covid canceled, just due to the fact that it was different than most of the other lines (I am sure someone will correct me if this assumption is not true, won't be the first time I was called wrong today 🤪).

I am glad they do not allow smoking indoors or in the cabins, stale smoke smell sucks (my humble opinion,,,,,,not trying to offend anyone)

I suspect the FAQ was written more to cover the smoking aspect, and as many are wont to do, just  lumped e-cigs in there as they are treated the same as cigarettes every where else on board.

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I have seen language that if two pieces of information are different on Princess.com, that the Passage Contract rules over a FAQ answer.  Now, my preference would be for total ban on "smoking" on all indoor public areas and cabins as the FAQ text implies.  IDK if anyone knows if this was a policy and Passage Contract was quietly adjusted and this is situation #73 where Princess says one thing over here and another over there.  

The contradiction in literature compels the truth of one of the two following statements:

• Vaping was once banned in cabins (per the FAQ) and Princess decided to relax its rules and allow it; or
  • Vaping was once allowed in cabins (per the 2022 Contract) and Princess decided to further restrict its policy to disallow it.

No one on this Board is going to be able to solve this dilemma authoritatively, but if you were to venture a guess, which do you think happened in the past couple of years: a relaxation of smoking/vaping rules or a further restriction of them?

27 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

The contradiction in literature compels the truth of one of the two following statements:

• Vaping was once banned in cabins (per the FAQ) and Princess decided to relax its rules and allow it; or
  • Vaping was once allowed in cabins (per the 2022 Contract) and Princess decided to further restrict its policy to disallow it.

No one on this Board is going to be able to solve this dilemma authoritatively, but if you were to venture a guess, which do you think happened in the past couple of years: a relaxation of smoking/vaping rules or a further restriction of them?

No idea at all and have never noticed anyone vaping on the ship - I think.  I am not even sure we know what the correct official policy is.   In the absence of anything more authoritative, I'd have to go with the Passage Contract language.  I don't really read the old smoking policy sticky thread, so I have no idea if the matter has been covered there or not.

42 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

No idea at all and have never noticed anyone vaping on the ship - I think.  I am not even sure we know what the correct official policy is.   In the absence of anything more authoritative, I'd have to go with the Passage Contract language.  I don't really read the old smoking policy sticky thread, so I have no idea if the matter has been covered there or not.

A quick search in the Smoking thread revealed no answer. Same as here, with people noting the conflicting information.  I am in general agreement that one would have a strong case if challenged by simply pointing to the wording of the Contract.  My guess is that if this were brought to the attention of the officer in charge, they would say something like: "Yes, I see what you are referring to.  So no fine and no punishment.  But our rules have changed and we kindly ask that you refrain from doing this in your cabin."  At some point the two sources (Contract and FAQ) are going to come into alignment and then we will know the real answer.   

• Like 1