Ensenada Tours

LuCruise

On 11/15/2023 at 2:02 PM, sailawaybellaluna said:

Just chiming in, as we have been to Ensenada quite a bit via ship and also driving from our home in Southern California.

We typically head out to Guadalupe Valley, as we love wine and the scenery is pretty and relaxing for a 30 minute drive. The buses usually give you the option to hop out downtown as well on the return journey if you want to shop. I believe most of the wine tasting excursions right now are limited to LA Cetto, Dona Lupe and sometimes Liceaga. 

I recently did the Marcelo Cheese Cave, and was very impressed by the tour. The scenery is beautiful and the food and drinks are great. Now a disclaimer: if you have poor weather, I really wouldn't do this tour. We went in February and it was very cold, windy and rainy. We stood out in the dairy portion to see where they milk the cows and were freezing and getting wet. The cheese caves are set on beautiful land with outdoor picnic areas but we couldn't enjoy them again, due to the weather. The owners had set up a lovely experience indoors, but it was still very cold. Even the bathrooms are semi-outdoor and we were absolutely freezing. Getting on and off the bus was a very muddy experience, and I felt so bad for the bus driver setting down towels to try and save his interior. If weather isn't an issue, I'd do the cheese cave again in a heartbeat!

I'm actually getting ready to go back to Ensenada and wondering if anyone has visited the El Cielo Winery? Any feedback on those excursions?

Thanks!

We're on an early January cruise and appreciate the weather feedback. Not sure what the best inclement weather excursions may be, given the time of year.  Definitely has me thinking on waiting a little closer to time before booking an excursion.

On 11/24/2023 at 12:16 PM, psg872 said:

We're on an early January cruise and appreciate the weather feedback. Not sure what the best inclement weather excursions may be, given the time of year.  Definitely has me thinking on waiting a little closer to time before booking an excursion.

Weather is hard to predict as the forecast can change from day to day.  We live just an hour north of Ensenada and also in San Antonio.  The weather forecasting reliability is about the same for both places.  Any forecast more than 3-4 days out is a total guess.  However, January in Ensenada and the Valle should be nice.  Ensenada in the AM could be foggy and overcast or it could be bright blue sky and sunny.  Going inland to the Valle will always be warmer.       

18 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Weather is hard to predict as the forecast can change from day to day.  We live just an hour north of Ensenada and also in San Antonio.  The weather forecasting reliability is about the same for both places.  Any forecast more than 3-4 days out is a total guess.  However, January in Ensenada and the Valle should be nice.  Ensenada in the AM could be foggy and overcast or it could be bright blue sky and sunny.  Going inland to the Valle will always be warmer.       

Greetings from San Antonio!  I appreciate that and completely get the reference.  We usually try to line things up well in advance, but will certainly play it a little closer to departure time on this one.  Would love to know any recommendations for Ensenada from a local. 

1 hour ago, psg872 said:

Would love to know any recommendations for Ensenada from a local. 

Honestly, we seldom go to Ensenada itself, just to touristy and traffic sucks.  We normally only go to the fish markets but have found a place in Rosarito that's just as good if not better.  If we go to the area we do wine tasting.  The places we go are probably a little more inland and further from the cruise port than you might want to risk.  The wine excursions from the ship probably go to the more "commercial" places, which are very nice.  They rival anything in Napa Valley for the venues.  Prior to moving to TX we lived not far from Napa Valley and belonged to a wine club.  Most of the Valle wines can't match a good Napa or even Paso Robles wine.  We haven't made it to Fredericksburg yet so I can't comment on that comparison.  

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 12:34 PM, L1211 said:

Just read on another thread NCL is canceling Ensenada right now???  Anyone have any experience with this? 

Our cruise on NCL leaving Christmas eve and all excursions for Ensenada are gone from the web site...?