Question - Pacific Weather Late December

PJ Apple

We will be sailing from San Francisco to Hawaii in late December. We have a balcony, but some reviews indicate it will be too cold to sit on the balcony or by the pool. Is this true? Should I take a

coat? Thanks!

• Like 1

It’ll probably be cold leaving SF for a couple of days, but the further south you go, the better the weather.  A lot depends on where you’re from as far as what ‘comfortable’ is for you.  My ideal temp is about 71 degrees, but friends of mine from the south are wearing sweatshirts if it’s that ‘cold’.  

If you have a puffer jacket that packs small (Uniqlo sells some affordable ones) I’d throw it in my bag. 

• Thanks 1

Too cold? It isn't tropical weather, but people do sit around outside. I would describe the weather as cool with choppy sometimes rocky water. You will be out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. It gets tropical around the 3rd day when you cross the Tropic of Cancer. Take advantage of the indoor Hawaii Cultural program while crossing. There are uke lessons for absolute beginners, hula and crafts (small fee for supplies).

• Thanks 1

I assume you are referring to December 2023.  You might check the impact of El Nino, it may be warmer than the last couple of years during La Nina.  It could also mean more storms,  During El Nino it can result in what is referred to as the pineapple express,  warm rain or heavy snow coming from around Hawaii to the Coast of California.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PJ Apple said:

We will be sailing from San Francisco to Hawaii in late December. We have a balcony, but some reviews indicate it will be too cold to sit on the balcony or by the pool. Is this true? Should I take a

coat? Thanks!

Which ship? The reason I ask is there are a few with covered pools.

3 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

I did a live from LA-Hawai'i last month on the Crown if you are interested

I want to say, you did an excellent write up of that.  I’ll be on the Crown Princess in Sept ‘23 with my 88 yo Mom, and I have a much better feel for what to expect on the cruise, all because of you.  You have provided an amazing service, and I hope you realize how high in esteem I hold you. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Prost Seattle said:

I want to say, you did an excellent write up of that.  I’ll be on the Crown Princess in Sept ‘23 with my 88 yo Mom, and I have a much better feel for what to expect on the cruise, all because of you.  You have provided an amazing service, and I hope you realize how high in esteem I hold you. 

you are so kind, thank you! I hope you & your mom have a wonderful cruise!!

Edited by travelin.sisters
  • Like 1

We did that very same itinerary last Christmas/New Years. You’re right that it’s cold most sea days, and yes you’ll want to bring a coat. I still totally recommend a balcony stateroom. Seeing the ocean and even just being out there for short spurts is worth it. We traveled back to California during the bomb cyclone and experienced 20+ ft seas. Ensenada was canceled. I considered it an adventure. 

We did a Hawaii cruise from San Diego in 2020(just as the bhg was starting) This was late Jan. The Aleutian current is really quite cold. I hate the cold air but my spouse was in Sanctuary every sea day all bundled up & loving it.Food& service were great & he pretty much had the whole place to himself.

We just got off the Crown on it's last Hawaiian cruise for the year (April 14-29).

As someone who has only done Alaskan and Caribbean cruises, most of the sea days were more Alaskan than Caribbean. Was completely unprepared clothing-wise.

On 4/22/2023 at 12:47 PM, loeb said:

I assume you are referring to December 2023.  You might check the impact of El Nino, it may be warmer than the last couple of years during La Nina.  It could also mean more storms,  During El Nino it can result in what is referred to as the pineapple express,  warm rain or heavy snow coming from around Hawaii to the Coast of California.

This is correct.  Assuming we do have a moderate/strong El Nino on the way, the southerly part of the jet stream can be much stronger in those winters.  Could be stormy the first few days.  OR, could be a a quiet weather period between storms and it's calm. That puffy jacket sounds like a good idea.  ...A Portland meteorologist...