Disembarkation Time and Transfers

Mikey0368

First time cruisers here just looking for some general info about leaving the ship. The plan is to get ourselves from San Pedro to San Diego at the end of our cruise on Discovery Princess.

Will Princess allocate a time to disembark or is it just a case of standing in line?  And if we do have to stand in line, when can we expect to be off the ship? Late morning, lunchtime, afternoon?? The cruise that we're on is fully booked so it will be busy.

Also, will there be plenty of taxis at the cruise terminal when we get off? We're currently thinking that we'll get the train to San Diego so will obviously have to get ourselves to the train station!

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Mikey0368 said:

First time cruisers here just looking for some general info about leaving the ship. The plan is to get ourselves from San Pedro to San Diego at the end of our cruise on Discovery Princess.

Will Princess allocate a time to disembark or is it just a case of standing in line?  And if we do have to stand in line, when can we expect to be off the ship? Late morning, lunchtime, afternoon?? The cruise that we're on is fully booked so it will be busy.

Also, will there be plenty of taxis at the cruise terminal when we get off? We're currently thinking that we'll get the train to San Diego so will obviously have to get ourselves to the train station!

Thanks.

If you choose to self-disembark (carry your own cases off the ship) you will probably be able to leave at 7:30.

Otherwise,  you will be allocated a specific time to leave the ship, with the latest time normally being no later than 10am.

Regardless of the time you are given, you will have to vacate your cabin by 8:30 at the latest.

Sorry, can't help about taxis.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mikey0368 said:

Thanks.

Our ship was 70% full.  We had to vacate the cabin by 8 am.  We asked for the latest debarkation time, which was meeting at 930 in a lounge. You will get a disembarkation notice a few days before the end of your cruise.  You fill it out and you will be given instructions for the process. 

So, we went to breakfast, had a coffee and left the ship about 930. We picked up our bags, went through customs, and were out side about 950.  
Taxi lines were long, so we called Uber.  Uber wait was about 15 mins max. 

• Like 1

I looked at the places for the Amtrak stations and for you; you may consider getting an Uber to take you to the Amtrak station in Los Angeles. Then you can ride the train to San Diego. We did this many times when I was very young. (I was born and reared in S. CA.)

We often sign up for self walk off from the ship and the earliest has been 7:30 am. You carry your own bags. In our experience, the ship has docked on time but things do happen.

We have taken Uber from LAX to San Pedro and our driver was very friendly. He did not realize we knew S. CA so well. Traffic flow was with us that day and it took about 35 minutes.

6 hours ago, Mikey0368 said:

Thanks.

BTW- We were in Edinburgh last May! My family tree is from many parts of Scotland.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mikey0368 said:

Thanks for that, I was thinking that Union Station in LA would be a good place to catch the train.

Edinburgh is dull and cool today. Nothing new there!

Same weather here- we are on a peninsula on the Washington State coast.

49 minutes ago, Mikey0368 said:

Thanks for that, I was thinking that Union Station in LA would be a good place to catch the train.

Edinburgh is dull and cool today. Nothing new there!

Union Station is very historic. When I was very young (in the 1950's), I loved going there to visit my Grandmother who worked in one of the gift shops there.I love the architecture.

• Like 1