Silversea advice - first time cruisers

Jloss

15 minutes ago, Jloss said:

Great intel all - I am truly appreciative of the fast/quality feedback.  My Wife and I determined we are more than comfortable what sounds to be a broad, active mix of possible neighbors.  In fact we'd much rather interact with 55's than 25's so we went ahead and booked the trip!  As mentioned earlier, we travel a lot throughout North America/Caribbean but this will be the first "across the pond" and we couldn't be more excited! Thanks again to all! 

I hope you have a great time!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Sailing with ‘many under 10s’, or even ‘10-20’ is surprising to me. That is not something I would expect.. ..

To be expected if you travel during school holidays particularly in the Med or the Caribbean

Thank you. We avoid traveling during school holidays, or if during spring break time, sail on lines that do not cater to or on lines that do not allow kids. Just a personal choice of travel. Again, we love kids, but experienced sailing with them in the past and prefer to avoid when possible. 

• Like 1

There are kids and kids. Some are a delight and some are a real pain. Several of those on the second leg of our cruise fell into the second category. The young girl on the current segment is in the first category. Was on my excursion group today and not a problem at all. In fact a delight.

• Thanks 1

Just seems to me that there are cruises truly designed for multigenerational- such as Disney. There are things to do and places to go for all ages. Some are kid feee and some are not. Some have activities geared for kids and teens. Some do not. I would think that the kids themselves would enjoy a variety of activities geared towards them more than an environment gr=eared only towards adults. I would also think that the other generations would enjoy having that as well. Viking, Virgin, Uniworld, do not allow kids. Big selling point. I just fail to see what the attraction would be for any of the party within the multi generation to  bring littles on Silver Sea, Regent, Seabourn, etc. 

drron - that is nothing short of irritating and quite honestly unacceptable. All others shouldn’t have to put up with bad behavior regardless of age. The adults in that circumstance are responsible for their littles behavior. 

And truly. Have you even seen a child be able to be quiet in a pool?  Virtually impossible. And although I love watching my grandkids playing in the pool, I don’t want that on my vacation on a ship. 

On 4/26/2023 at 6:02 PM, Vineyard View said:

Just seems to me that there are cruises truly designed for multigenerational- such as Disney. There are things to do and places to go for all ages. Some are kid feee and some are not. Some have activities geared for kids and teens. Some do not. I would think that the kids themselves would enjoy a variety of activities geared towards them more than an environment gr=eared only towards adults. I would also think that the other generations would enjoy having that as well. Viking, Virgin, Uniworld, do not allow kids. Big selling point. I just fail to see what the attraction would be for any of the party within the multi generation to  bring littles on Silver Sea, Regent, Seabourn, etc. 

drron - that is nothing short of irritating and quite honestly unacceptable. All others shouldn’t have to put up with bad behavior regardless of age. The adults in that circumstance are responsible for their littles behavior. 

Alas, there are some parents who take offense if you even suggest that it may it be the best idea to bring their little darlings to certain venues and events (including fine dining restaurants, cocktail parties, luxury cruises sans activities for the kiddos and even weddings with invitations that specified no children).  Unfortunately, these are often the same parents who tune out their little angels and let them run rampant.  

• Like 1

Maybe I have just been lucky but I would say the majority of kids who have been on my particular cruises have been quite small (total number).......nothing comes to mind that there were ever "tons of children" on board.   My sailing last week? There were 2 boys (not sure if they were brothers or just friends) but they were probably in the 12-13 year old range....I never saw them mis behaving anywhere.  There was a young couple with their baby. I am guessing she was not a year old. She was so good.....never heard a peep out of her. Now of course she will never remember this cruise LOL.....

I was on the Dawn in January on a Caribbean cruise and yes, there were some families on that cruise with their kids. Trying to think back on it......I was always in the shaded area at the pool and I think those kids were pretty well behaved.

As for other cruise lines? Yes, Disney, Royal and Carnival are all "family oriented" but I guess the adults want to sail SS..........I guess SS is not going to tell those families they don't want their $$$.

On 4/26/2023 at 12:35 PM, fudge said:

We hate kids anywhere! On planes they can be a real pain. We try to avoid anywhere they may be, harsh, but everyone to their own.

From our six different Silversea cruises, we have never had any kid "issues" or problem.  The few kids we have seen have been nice, cute and well-behaved.  Even the adults have been good and providing few, if any, problems.  Planes, at times, might offer some challenges as such flights are usually full with ALL of kinds of people and a few "issues". 

We have two grandsons, ages ten and twelve, like kids, finding them mostly fun and interesting.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 246,693 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/